Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noise driving me nuts !!

Options
  • 23-09-2008 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

Lads/ lassies,
    Last few days my chain drive has developed a "click ". Always seems to happen at the same point when I am riding along . It's not the chain rub sound of a loose chain touching the front derailleur, but a distinctive click . It happens when the crank is at we'll say top dead centre , so it can't I presume be a stiff link . Do the sympoms sound like a bottom bracket problem ?
    I've googled it and come up with things like , bottom bracket loose , and deceptive noises that sounded like bottom bracket trouble but were in fact caused by seatposts , bottle cage bolts , pedals and cleats . Do these sound plausable to youse lads ? It's driving me nuts ......Any Trek 1000 ( 2007 discovery channel) owners out there that have had similar problems .??:(

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

.....sorry bud, but it reminds me of the one about.......
    .."the lad who went around with a steering wheel down the front of his trousers".....................kept claiming that

"it was driving me nuts!"

:p:p:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 damo22

I've had the same problem. Had me driven nuts. My problem turned out to be the spd pedal. Good spray of wd40 sorted it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I have noticed a similar problem with my bike. It only really happens when I push hard out of the saddle, a regular click once per revolution. It seems to be coming from the bottom bracket.

I have no answers though...

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭bealbocht

this happened me recently .. drove me nuts for 2 days..

eventually I found an metal pin/clip (oh.. have a pic..) stuck in a knobble bit in the tyre...

I was nearly ready to start dis-assembling bits left right and centre...

might be worth a check.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I have noticed a similar problem with my bike. It only really happens when I push hard out of the saddle, a regular click once per revolution. It seems to be coming from the bottom bracket.
    I had this too, and in my case it was a loose spoke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Deisetrek

bealbocht wrote: »
    this happened me recently .. drove me nuts for 2 days..

eventually I found an metal pin/clip (oh.. have a pic..) stuck in a knobble bit in the tyre...

I was nearly ready to start dis-assembling bits left right and centre...

might be worth a check.

Thanks for the replies , will keep looking before I take the plunge and start stripping anything . Definitely appears to be related to the drivetrain and not the revolutions of the tyres bealbocht , 'cause when I freewheel it's not there , only when I put pressure on the crank. So I will take a look at the SPD pedals and cleats as earlier mentioned , that might be it hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭osnoyl

i had that too and it ended up being when the saddle was up high , the seat post clicks . so try putting saddle down to the lowest and see will it stop

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Howitzer

I have a similar problem with a 3 month old bike. It clicks when I strain during a revolution (out of saddle). Fine when just cruising along.

I think it has gone. I sprayed some lube near where the bottom bracket meets the crank. Maybe this helped (even though it's a sealed bottom bracket).

I wonder was it all the rain that caused this. I could feel the click. It wasn't the pedals as they are new and greased / lubed.

Other nobby causes for noises are brake / gear cable ends anywhere near a crank - clicking off it per revolution.

Try a spray near the area mentioned above and see how it goes. May take some time to work into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭griffin100

I had a similar problem when I was on the outter sprokets of my gears and it turned out that the rear hanging arm of the frame where the gears sit was bent sligtly, the bike having been dropped before I got it, thus causing the gear assembledge to clip the spokes. I straightened it and the click dissappeared (thank god for Zin And The Art).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Freddy687

Have you checked the position of the excess cable from the front derailleur.
    It could be that it is sticking out and touching the inside of the crank, when it bends under pressure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Had the same problem once, the bottom bracket was loose... worth checking out this.. http://www.sheldonbrown.com/creaks.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I think you may be on to something mloc, this from sheldon sounds about right
    Because of the threading of normal bottom brackets, the cups are self-tightening to a point. This sometimes leads to careless installation, particularly on the right (fixed cup) side. If the right cup is slightly loose, it won't necessarily unscrew itself, but it won't really tighten itself up fully either. The symptom of this is an occasional creak or clunk usually as the left crank goes "over the top" when pedaling hard.

Its coming from my drive side, when i'm out of the saddle (i.e. pushing hard) and at about the 1-2 O'Clock position.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

That'll probably be it... to test it you should line up the drive side crank with the seat tube of the frame, clamp them with your hand and squeeze the crank towards the tube.. if its loose it will most likely click/creak.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Deisetrek

damo22 wrote: »
    I've had the same problem. Had me driven nuts. My problem turned out to be the spd pedal. Good spray of wd40 sorted it out.

Just to say lads/ lassies ............had my first noise free spin tonight ! Yesterday tried all the obvious ones , pressed on the crank and checked for play (none found) ...........checked all saddle bolts etc.......cables knocking . I knew it couldn't have been a wheel 'cause as I said it consistently happened at the 12o'clock / 1 o' clock position of the crank , so I experimented with the pedals( as damo said ). Changed out my SPD's for my old toe clips ones and hey presto ....silence . It was now either the pedal or the cleats , so having a spare set of new cleats , I put them onto my shoes ...everything ok . So it was a worn cleat which had I reckon too much play in the SPD pedal and the "click" was the ratchet mechanism in the pedal not engaging properly at the top end of the stroke ..........thanks for the advice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

Freddy687 wrote: »
    Have you checked the position of the excess cable from the front derailleur.
    It could be that it is sticking out and touching the inside of the crank, when it bends under pressure.

+1

Happened me a few weeks ago - drove me mad but was glad (given my infamous mechanical skills :o) that it took all of 0.5 seconds to sort out....

Advertisement