Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fundraising Ideas

• 23-09-2008 11:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭

Hi

Im a teacher in a Secondary School in Dublin, and our school is trying to raise some money for some interactive whiteboards.

When I say 'some money' what I mean is that we would be looking for, say, 6 interactive whiteboards, which are in the region on €4,000 each.

Now I know that is alot of money, and the jury is still out on whether there will be any grant allocated to us, but in the meantime we are trying to think of some good, original fundraising ideas that both the students and parents can get involved in.

Ideas mentioned have been bag-packing in the shopping centres, which is good, and bingo/quiz nights in the school at evening times for adults.

The idea of no uniform day also came up but we decided against it as it generally disrupts the atmosphere of the school day. (Well it does in our school anyway!)

So any ideas put forward would be appreciated and considered.

Thanks for your help in advance!!

peanuthead.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭nubineeprincess

hi

you could do a fashion show
    basically get some shops to sponsor and give new season clothes for the show - like we'll say approach jervis or some shopping centre and try get them on board(they will like to get their clothes out there)...then your students can be the models and helpers...you can get people to make some little bits of food for the occasion...parents etc would attend??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,387 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

the school i work in did a balloon launch about 2 years ago, sell the tickets for the balloons for €10 each, launch the balloons, set a time limit, say 1 month and see which ones are returned to the school from the farthest away. (instructions are on tickets attached to the balloons), prize to seller of balloon and prize to person who returns it. There's a company that sorts out all the balloons for the launch. Good fun for the students as well if a map is put up and returned balloons can be tracked on it, as well as local returns last year we got some from Holland, France, Austria and Germany. even if each student is given one ticket to sell a substantial amount of money can be raised. We sold over 1000 balloons the last time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭corcaighcailin9

A race night at a dog track involves a heck of a lot of work but I know of a school that raised about 20 grand in one night...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

wow, those ideas are great.

About the fashion show, I dont know if that would work with us, we did it before and some of the kids actually stole some of the clothes. What a pack of feckers!!

How does the race night thing work? It doesnt involve actually visiting a race track does it? Because that would seem likely to cost money rather than make it.

We are going ahead with a sponsored walk (how unoriginal!!) at end of month anyway, but we need loads more ideas.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The actual race night is a good one, but you can also get these 'race nights' that can be run in the school hall. They use old tapes of American races and people pay money to be the 'owner' of a horse for the night and money can be made betting on the horses.
    They can make quite a bit of money, but perhaps the school might not want to be seen to encourage gambling.
    http://www.racenight.ie/ would be one of the companies that supply the tapes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭loveroflight

Our fashion show works really well. A very dedicated organizer involved. A good tip is to get students to nominate some tiny brothers and sisters to model...of course some teachers too. they always get the best cheer.
    Just make sure plenty of teachers are supervising the collection of the clothes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭SKYDOG

Came across this website for fundraising. worth a look, http://www.gosave.ie/business/

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Promethean Interactive Whiteboards can now be installed in any school in The Republic of Ireland free of charge, including software and training.

This is possible if a school can donate 300 old mobile phones to The Jack and Jill Children's Foundation. Considering most households have 2/3 used phones lying around, raising enough for one board will not be an issue.There is no stipulation on the number of boards installed.
    School Principals will know that fundraising is an increasing worry as parents struggle to cope with the general back to school expenses.

Further information available on www.phonesforboards.com

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 guess

hi can you send a link or contact to the balloon company if you have it?great idea, have tys this year that would love this!

Thanks

• Advertisement

a local fete used to do the balloon thing, but it was passed over in later years due to the possibility of burst balloons being ingested by wild-life. Just a thought...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 191 ✭✭edeldonlon

The comedy club on the quays in dublin do charity nights where they give you tickets and just say the school pays €10 per ticket you can then charge €15....

Has worked well in the past as it is different from the usual table quiz etc!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

spurious wrote: »
    The actual race night is a good one, but you can also get these 'race nights' that can be run in the school hall. They use old tapes of American races and people pay money to be the 'owner' of a horse for the night and money can be made betting on the horses.
    They can make quite a bit of money, but perhaps the school might not want to be seen to encourage gambling.
    http://www.racenight.ie/ would be one of the companies that supply the tapes.

they work very well, the race night with tapes - if you get sponsership from local business for a brochure to list the horses and owners, half page ad 20 euro, full page 35, sponser a race for 25 or something like that can bring in money. I've done the brochures in the past, for people only getting the race tapes and tote tickets - I'd design and layout the brochure, email it to them and they would print it off, a cheaper option that getting a company to do it.

Quizzes and that can raise money, I know we used do teacher v student matches, started with soccer, but it was changed to basketball because soccer was too dangerous with students standing in the hall. Brilliant craic as well. I don't see why a non uniform day would be disruptive if you did it on the last day of school before the Halloween holidays. Golf classics are another one I know my old school used to do.

those interactive whiteboards are excellent, they have one in my brothers school, and he is impressed with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭marblesolutions

Promethean Interactive Whiteboards can now be installed in any school in The Republic of Ireland free of charge, including software and training.

This is possible if a school can donate 300 old mobile phones to The Jack and Jill Children's Foundation. Considering most households have 2/3 used phones lying around, raising enough for one board will not be an issue.There is no stipulation on the number of boards installed.
    School Principals will know that fundraising is an increasing worry as parents struggle to cope with the general back to school expenses.

Further information available on www.phonesforboards.com

I have just looked at this website and it all seems to good to be true !!!!

Has anyone actually managed to get an interactive whiteboard for free using this scheme.

I would be really interested to hear from anyone regarding pitfalls, is it just a promotional scam ?

Advertisement