Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6.4 Mbs versus 2.5Mbs wireless

Options
  • 23-09-2008 11:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi All,

I recently had my Eircom broadband speed upgrade from 3 to 7.6Mbs.

When I connect my PC directly to the Netopia DSL box I get a download speed measured
    at irishisptest of 6.4 Mbs.

When I connect wirelessly using a linksys wrt54g (ver1.1) connected through I get a max
    download speed of 2.5Mbs

Anyone have any ideas why this could be.

Regards,
    CorkSat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Voodoo2

CorkSat wrote: »
    Hi All,

When I connect my PC directly to the Netopia DSL box I get a download speed measured

When I connect wirelessly using a linksys wrt54g (ver1.1) connected through I get a max
    download speed of 2.5Mbs

Regards,
    CorkSat

When you say you get 2.5Mbs are you getting this figure from what your wireless is giving as a signal strength or from irishisptest

Ill take it that that figure is from the test site, questions i have are

what is the signal strength to your wireless router?
    Do you have security set on your router
    Are there any 2.4ghz devices in your house - Cordless phones, Tv senders etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 CorkSat

Voodoo2 wrote: »
    When you say you get 2.5Mbs are you getting this figure from what your wireless is giving as a signal strength or from irishisptest

Ill take it that that figure is from the test site, questions i have are

what is the signal strength to your wireless router?
    Do you have security set on your router
    Are there any 2.4ghz devices in your house - Cordless phones, Tv senders etc

You are correct the figure of 2.5 is from the site.

The signal quality rated as excellent i.e. the full five bars on the 1-5 scale
    and speed is reading at 54Mbps

I turned off security and the results are the same.

There is a TV sender and a Cordless phone but they are on a different channel.
    Plugged them both out and even removed the battery from the phone to make sure.
    Results are still the same.

One extra point is that when I connect the PC with a network cable to the Linksys wrt54g
    I get the 6.4Mbps. So it's definitely a wireless issue.

I've also tried sitting the PC right next to the Linksys so the distance between them is only
    20cm and I still get 2.5Mbps

I tempted to do a firmware upgrade of the Linksys but want to check everything else first.

Regards,
    COrkSat

I would do the update anyway to make sure everything is up to date, would also make sure your wireless card drivers are up to date.

Have you confirmed it with another laptop? Get a friend to pop round and confirm it?

Voodoo2 wrote: »
    I would do the update anyway to make sure everything is up to date, would also make sure your wireless card drivers are up to date.

Have you confirmed it with another laptop? Get a friend to pop round and confirm it?

Good suggestion.

Just tried another laptop and got 6.4Mbps so its not a Linksys problem.

I just updated the original laptop drivers but still getting 2.5Mbs.

Bed time for me. but at least the number of possibilities has been reduced.

Thanks for you help.

CorkSat

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

What are you using to connect to the router, in-built wifi card or an addon card?

mc
    CorkSat wrote: »
    Hi All,

download speed of 2.5Mbs

Regards,
    CorkSat

• Advertisement

What are you using to connect to the router, in-built wifi card or an addon card?

mc

Dell inspiron 9200 laptop with in-built Intel PROSet/Wirelesss 2200BG

Can you PM me the service tag and I'll have a look see if there are any issues between the two

MC

http://support.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/pro2200bg/

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=11402&page=55

Seems this has been an issue for a long time and no clear cut remedy.

MC

Might I suggest a re-install of the chipset drivers and then of the intel drivers, can't hurt.

Is the wifi card a mini pci card, you could replace the 2200BG with another card to side step the issue?

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 41 RandomPerson13

I have the exact same problem with eircom router
    hard wired

331080898.png

and wireless
    331082789.png

331078856.png

Im in Limerick but get better speeds from the dublin server

Have tried everything and still the same. Changed network cards updated all drivers

I know its a pc issue because another laptop in the house gets 11.5mb and the ps3 gets 10mb and that is a bit way from the router.

• Advertisement

Some laptops internal antenna's are not tuned correctly and tend to cause interference during transmissions. Have both of you tried a USB or PC Card/PCIe Slot type?

Hi Everyone,

I've update everything and no change.

To try to narrow down the problem I tried using a Belkin Wireless g USB device to see if it went any faster than the builtin 2200BG card.

The result was that the download speed was identical.

So if the belkin device and the intel device are getting the same speed there is proably nothing wrong with the builtin device or it's drivers.

Could it be something else.

Not Dells fault
    Not Intels fault
    Not belkins fault

That just leaves MS to blame :-)

LAter,

CorkSat

• Registered Users Posts: 41 RandomPerson13

Ok i got my connection speed up to what it should be!!!! As in my previous post i had the same problems on wireless

but now on wireless

331959183.png

I am getting the full speed or near enough anyway.

How i fixed it was i downloaded TCP Optimizer found at
    http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

and followed the instruction from the following youtube video

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=9XwTBAQV320

now usually i would never believe a video like this but tried everything else and was about to give up. I went with it and it worked for me. Hope this helps

Random person13

I used the tcp optimizer and am now getting 6.23 mbps according to the original speed test site.

I've also tried downloading a linux iso from the heanet mirror and am getting a
    tranfer rate of about 6mbps.

Thanks again to everyone who made comments and suggestions and especially to Randomperson13.

I'm thinking that lots of people could benefit from this tip

Regards,
    Corksat

Advertisement