Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus from Kilkenny to Galway?

Options
  • 23-09-2008 11:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hey all,

Go to college in Galway (NUIG), and find it impossible to get a relatively direct bus service from Kilkenny to Galway.

Anyone know any buses from about Kilkenny that go to Galway on a regular basis? Like to visit home every weekend, but a good bus service to and from KK is hard to find. Help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055366819

JJ Kavanaghs is your best option but they're extremely unreliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭highgiant1985

Oakbark wrote: »
    Hey all,

Go to college in Galway (NUIG), and find it impossible to get a relatively direct bus service from Kilkenny to Galway.

Anyone know any buses from about Kilkenny that go to Galway on a regular basis? Like to visit home every weekend, but a good bus service to and from KK is hard to find. Help!

im not from kilkenny so cant be 100% but i think first off with bus eireann theres no easy way to get from kilkenny to galway however a private bus operater like Kavanaghs might do a bus service to galway during the college term so leaving for galway on sunday evening and bring you back to kilkenny on a friday evening but it would likely only operate during the college term.

the only reason i say this is because i know kavanaghs did this to limerick for students. Someone on here might be able to help you. Alternatively you could look up the Kavanagh website and see if theyve anything mentioned about it there.

ps enjoy the college experence i'm v jealous wishing i was back there :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bbstangs

Hey there,
    I too need to travel between kilkenny and Galway. I think a found a bus that travels between Carlow and Galway, but goes through Kilkenny on the way. As the other person mentioned, it is only for the college term. Its with JJ Kavangh, so call them on 056 8831106 as to when it starts, probably in mid to late september.
    I think it leaves kilkenny approximately 6pm or 5:45pm on a sunday and takes about 3 and a quarter hours, which is not bad actually, as a car takes about 3 hours. I think it leaves Galway approximately 4pm on a Friday, taking probably four hours approx, taking traffic into account. But compared to the other dire options of getting to and from Galway -kilkenny, its not too bad. I've tried to attach the timetable here,
    Cheers.hope it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

bbstangs wrote: »
    Hey there,
    I too need to travel between kilkenny and Galway. I think a found a bus that travels between Carlow and Galway, but goes through Kilkenny on the way. As the other person mentioned, it is only for the college term. Its with JJ Kavangh, so call them on 056 8831106 as to when it starts, probably in mid to late september.
    I think it leaves kilkenny approximately 6pm or 5:45pm on a sunday and takes about 3 and a quarter hours, which is not bad actually, as a car takes about 3 hours. I think it leaves Galway approximately 4pm on a Friday, taking probably four hours approx, taking traffic into account. But compared to the other dire options of getting to and from Galway -kilkenny, its not too bad. I've tried to attach the timetable here,
    Cheers.hope it works.

Lol, it's about 2 hours ten or fifteen minutes straight drive ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

mfitzy wrote: »
    Lol, it's about 2 hours ten or fifteen minutes straight drive ;)

Informative debutante.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Ravage1616

bbstangs wrote: »
    Hey there,
    Cheers.hope it works.

3 Years to late for that info!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

ah jaysus, I just realised this was a resurrected zombie post! :o
    Ah I'll leave my post below in case any new 1st years find it handy.

Hey OP,

I'm from KK and I been living in Galway for the last 6 years (undergrad & postgrad in NUIG).
    Basically, travelling from KK to Galway isn't easy without a car...... (or a friend with a car!).

As mentioned already, JJ Kavanagh run a bus during term time only. It leaves the Cathedral at 4pm on Friday, and you generally switch buses in Thurles. You'll get into KK at around 8-ish.
    The bus then leaves at 5.45pm on Sunday from the parade and arrives in Galway after 9pm. The bus will stop in Eyre Square, at the college entrance, and at most of the student residences. I haven't travelled on the JJ's bus in a while but we often had to randomly change buses on the way to Galway also.

If you were to go on Bus Eireann, you go from KK to Galway via Carlow and Athlone...... nightmare (unless they have changed the route).

If I'm travelling home, I generally go on the train (get the student travel card). I get the Galway - Dublin train but get off at Portarlington. It's then only about an hour's drive from Portarlington to KK centre. But obviously this isn't any good if you can't get anyone to collect you!

But don't worry, you'll end up enjoying NUIG and Galway so much that you won't want to go home!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

But don't worry, you'll end up enjoying NUIG and Galway so much that you won't want to go home!! smile.gif
    Amen brother.

Advertisement