Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Today is the day...

• 24-09-2008 12:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭

....we can finally go at 120 km/h on 200 miles of DC either built or in the process of being built:D!

I'm so excited, I genuinely though reclassification would never happen, but at long, long last we can do it!

Happy days:D!

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,178 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

E92 wrote: »
    ....we can finally go at 120 km/h on 200 miles of DC either built or in the process of being built:D!

I'm so excited, I genuinely though reclassification would never happen, but at long, long last we can do it!

Happy days:D!
    Haha! I know how ya feel, I'm sitting here having a little motorway celebration.

BTW, yes I have a girlfriend , long she will suffer :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

http://www.transport.ie/pressRelease.aspx?Id=13
    Transport Minister Noel Dempsey, T.D., announces the implementation of the Motorway Declaration to take effect on Wednesday, September 24, 2008
    23 - 09 - 2008

Transport Minister Mr. Noel Dempsey, T.D., today announced details of nine new Motorway Declarations. The Minister stated, "Tomorrow these high quality dual carriageways will gain motorway status. These motorways are located throughout the country and they underpin this Government's commitment to develop a safer, more efficient road network."

The re-designation of these existing high quality dual carriageways to motorway status is aimed at protecting the routes against inappropriate development, including multiple access points, which would have road safety implications and affect the efficiency and service life of the route. It is also intended to enhance safety and operational efficiency on the routes and to shorten journey times by availing, as appropriate, of the design speed of 120 kph which usually applies to motorway sections of the national road network.

Certain categories of road users are prohibited from using motorways, e.g. learner drivers, vehicles not exceeding 50 cc in engine capacity, vehicles not capable of a speed of 50 kph, pedestrians and cyclists. These road users will be catered for by the local/regional road network, including those sections of national road re-classified following construction of the new schemes.

Mr. Peter Malone, Chairman of NRA stated, "The NRA will continue to deliver a safe and efficient motorway network throughout the country. This is a major step forward and we are very pleased with the Ministers declaration taking effect tomorrow. The NRA will continue to focus on the completion of the entire inter-urban motorway network due for completion by 2010 as outlined in Transport 21."

In making these applications to the Minister, the National Roads Authority has, in accordance with section 8(2) of the 2007 Act, informed the Minister that:

the sections of road concerned will be constructed to a similar standard as existing motorways;
    no access to land is to cease as a result of the declarations sought by the applications (appropriate arrangements have been made for alternative means of access to property as part of the earlier road scheme planning process), and
    the road developments concerned will be at least dual carriageways or integrated parts of the design of dual carriageways and part of the network of national roads.
    The new motorway sections are the following

N9 = Kilcullen to Powerstown 46km
    N8 = Cashel Bypass 6km
    N8 = Urlingford to Cashel 29km
    N8 = Cashel to Mitcheltown 38km
    N8 = Mitchelstown to Fermoy 16km
    N7= Castletown to Nenagh 36km
    N7= Negagh to Limerick 38km
    N6 = Kinnegad to Kilbeggan 28km
    N6 = Kilbeggan to Athlone 29km

Driving up the N6 tonight, I noticed that most of the 100kmh signs had been taken down already, no doubt there will be a team of workment out at first light putting up the 120kmh ones and removing the blanked out section on the "Motorway rules" signs.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'm glad that these roads have become so much safer now that Noel Dempsey has put his signature on a piece of paper!
    All those caught driving between 101 and 120km/h in the past can now drive at the same speed knowing that they are now less likely to kill someone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭maidhc

Why is the N8 from Watergrasshill to Cork not included? :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It's been proposed for phase 2 of motorway upgrades. I think Cork County Council have applied for a 120km/hr limit on it as well. They wanted dual carriageways that would be approved with the minimal of fuss for phase 1, ie: the newly built ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

maidhc wrote: »

thats a good point i think it could be cause the road bends alot, and the turn off from cork to glamire isnt grade separted when travelling northbound

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

Because it's very bendy, has some dodgy sight-lines and other issues. It'll probably be included in the next round but some sections, maybe the whole road, will be restricted to 100 km/h.

I think the Glanmire to Watergrasshill section is going to get a 120 limit eventually. But it's easy to see why they didn't include it in the first batch. You'd end up with the plans for upgrading the new guaranteed motorway spec DCs being delayed for months while people nitpick over bendy sight-lines and gradients on the older DCs.

Tbh, I think most sections of grade separated dual carriageway in the country are better than the Fermoy bypass but there's been no problems with having a 120km/hr limit on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

kbannon wrote: »
    I'm glad that these roads have become so much safer now that Noel Dempsey has put his signature on a piece of paper!
    All those caught driving between 101 and 120km/h in the past can now drive at the same speed knowing that they are now less likely to kill someone!

I presume they will now also drop any cases for speeding (between 100 and 120) because they now know the drive was driving at a safe speed....

Sure they've known for months and months that it was safe, but why change the limit now when you can do so on some arbitrary date far in the future?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Stark wrote: »
    Sure they've known for months and months that it was safe, but why change the limit now when you can do so on some arbitrary date far in the future?

because they can not have added 260km to the motorway network for their next election campaign...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

kbannon wrote: »

Well maybe they are safer at 120KPH now that learner drivers and people on mopeds that can't go more than 30mph have been removed..........etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

what about the Limerick south ring road? is that going to change under phase 2?

spockety wrote: »
    Well maybe they are safer at 120KPH now that learner drivers and people on mopeds that can't go more than 30mph have been removed..........etc.

You don't need motorway restrictions to have a 120km/hr speed limit on the road. The N2 HQDC and the N1 from Dundalk to the border both have 120km/hr limits and people have to share the road with learners and mopeds. I believe the N22 Ballincollig bypass in Cork will also have a 120km/hr at some stage. Most dual carriageways in the UK are also 70mph despite the lack of motorway restrictions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

1huge1 wrote: »
    what about the Limerick south ring road? is that going to change under phase 2?

That will change when the tunnel will be finished

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

Watergrashill to Glanmire is fine for a 120kph limit. Who ever says this piece of road is bendy has never driven on it.

Glanmire to Dunkettle is indeed bendy but will also prob be upgraded to Motorway status, albeit with a 100kph limit.

Has anyone driven the Cashel bypass. Is it still 100kph speed limit. I drove it a few weeks ago and I still can't workout why it won't be 120kph. All of the corner radii seem fine. If anything its a better piece of road than the Fermoy bypass which does have a 120kph limit.

You don't need motorway restrictions to have a 120km/hr speed limit on the road. The N2 HQDC and the N1 from Dundalk to the border both have 120km/hr limits and people have to share the road with learners and mopeds. I believe the N22 Ballincollig bypass in Cork will also have a 120km/hr at some stage. Most dual carriageways in the UK are also 70mph despite the lack of motorway restrictions.

THe application for a 120kph speed limit on both the Ballincollig bypass and the Glounthaune bypass were overuled by the NRA for some reason.

Are they planning to upgrade to Motorway.

If eventually there is HQDC all the way to Macroom, then it would make sense to upgrade this stretch to full Motorway. Considering Carrigtowhill to Midleton will prob never be up to Motorway standard, then I can't understand the logic on this section.

Remember that the NRA are not up for upgrading short sections of road to motorway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

just wondering whose going to upgrade google earth to include the new stretches of motorway,is it like wikipedia where anyone can make changes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭mackerski

triple-M wrote: »
    just wondering whose going to upgrade google earth to include the new stretches of motorway,is it like wikipedia where anyone can make changes?

Google Earth won't allow that, but here's what you're after...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Ok which one of you stayed up till midnight last night to update Openstreetmap :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

It wasn't me...

Although I did update the wikipedia pages last night... ;)

Awful lotta work as well, there were so many references to September 24th that had to be altered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

THe application for a 120kph speed limit on both the Ballincollig bypass and the Glounthaune bypass were overuled by the NRA for some reason.

Are they planning to upgrade to Motorway.

If eventually there is HQDC all the way to Macroom, then it would make sense to upgrade this stretch to full Motorway. Considering Carrigtowhill to Midleton will prob never be up to Motorway standard, then I can't understand the logic on this section.

Remember that the NRA are not up for upgrading short sections of road to motorway.

Cork Co Co applied last year and like you say it was objected by the NRA, however they have applied again, and hopefully they pointed to the folly of them not being allowed upgrade to 120 yet Louth Co Co were allowed upgrade the N1 from Dundalk to the border to 120.

I realise you said that the NRA are not for upgrading short sections of road to Motorway, however it would be very sensible and an example of using a bit of long term planning if they did so.

I see no reason why the N8 between Dunkettle and the Fermoy bypass can't be upgraded to Motorway though, after all it will link in with at least 117 km of continuous M8 motorway(a bit more because I don't know how long the M8 bit of the Port Laois - Cullahil scheme is), and if they did that then we'd have a continuous motorway from Dunkettle all the way to the Naas bypass, which would be around 200 km then.

Similarly if they did the same with the Limerick SRR, and N20 DC from Limerick, there would be another long stretch of motorway.

Anyone know why 64 km or 40 miles of the N9 didn't make it through to re-classification?

Cork Co Co applied last year and like you say it was objected by the NRA, however they have applied again, and hopefully they pointed to the folly of them not being allowed upgrade to 120 yet Louth Co Co were allowed upgrade the N1 from Dundalk to the border to 120.

I realise you said that the NRA are not for upgrading short sections of road to Motorway, however it would be very sensible and an example of using a bit of long term planning if they did so.

I see no reason why the N8 between Dunkettle and the Fermoy bypass can't be upgraded to Motorway though, after all it will link in with at least 117 km of continuous M8 motorway(a bit more because I don't know how long the M8 bit of the Port Laois - Cullahil scheme is), and if they did that then we'd have a continuous motorway from Dunkettle all the way to the Naas bypass, which would be around 200 km then.

Similarly if they did the same with the Limerick SRR, and N20 DC from Limerick, there would be another long stretch of motorway.

Anyone know why 64 km or 40 miles of the N9 didn't make it through to re-classification?

Good news that Cork Co Co have the sense to redesignate these roads considering they are of high enough quality to handle these speeds.

I wouldn't mind them also reviewing the old N8 from Glanmire to Fermoy too and bring that back up to 100kph. There is no reason at all for this stretch of road being 80kph except to force people through the toll. And that is no business of Cork Co Co.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭mackerski

Ok which one of you stayed up till midnight last night to update Openstreetmap :D

Technically me - though strictly speaking I had done the work before midnight, but between a misbehaving data dongle, me being on a plane and the API having an outage, it took until then to get it uploaded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

I see the N9 Kilcullen to Powerstown (46 km) section is included in the Motorway order. Where is Powerstown? Is this Kilcullen to South of Carlow, including the Carlow Bypass?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

Mayo Exile wrote: »
    I see the N9 Kilcullen to Powerstown (46 km) section is included in the Motorway order. Where is Powerstown? Is this Kilcullen to South of Carlow, including the Carlow Bypass?

Yes. Powerstown is to the south of Carlow town. The remaining section of the route hasn't been redesignated yet because there have been some objections.

Yes. Powerstown is to the south of Carlow town. The remaining section of the route hasn't been redesignated yet because there have been some objections.

What could you possibly object to ?

Is it farmers wanting to brining tractors onto a dual carriageway or something. They should be banned as is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

Well as some guy said above, the Limerick SRR/N20 will be upgraded once the Limerick tunnel is open so id say early 2010.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭maidhc

I think the Glanmire to Watergrasshill section is going to get a 120 limit eventually. But it's easy to see why they didn't include it in the first batch. You'd end up with the plans for upgrading the new guaranteed motorway spec DCs being delayed for months while people nitpick over bendy sight-lines and gradients on the older DCs.

Watergrasshill was only completed just before the Fermoy motorway (and I remember it was done to "near motorway standard"... whatever the hell that is). I can see the issue with Dunkettle - Glanmire though (although it can be travelled safely at 120k!)

I agree with the old N8 being returned to 100k as well. It makes no sense.

As we are on the topic, the way in which the operators of the fermoy bypass essentially get the benefit of the watergrasshill bypass due to the really messy junctions to get back to the " old N8" still annoys me.

Watergrasshill was only completed just before the Fermoy motorway (and I remember it was done to "near motorway standard"... whatever the hell that is). I can see the issue with Dunkettle - Glanmire though (although it can be travelled safely at 120k!)

I agree with the old N8 being returned to 100k as well. It makes no sense.

As we are on the topic, the way in which the operators of the fermoy bypass essentially get the benefit of the watergrasshill bypass due to the really messy junctions to get back to the " old N8" still annoys me.

The N8 from Dunkettle onwards(towards Dublin) is well capable of 120 km/h.

I know it's full of twists and turns at the start but it's a fine wide road, and all the junctions etc look all but identical to your standard motorway.

The Watergrasshill bypass is deserving of at least 130 and probably 140 IMHO.

The sooner they re-classify this the better. I also agree about changing the old N8 as well to 100 km/h needless to say, anything that moves this country forward and allows us to make progress has to be welcomed.

Even if Dunkettle - Watergrasshill isnt suitable for 120kmh (I dont know as I havent been on it for ages), it needs M status anyway.

Between Glanmire and Dunkettle I wouldn't even dream of doing 120 kmp/h. Way too bendy.

But it should still be M, and the rest of the Dunkettle-Watergrasshill should have the standard 120 limit.

The most dangerous place to do 120kph on the Glanmire bypass is about 2 miles up from the Dunkettle Interchange where it starts to dip down into the valley and a left turn appears.

I often do 130kph on it without any trouble.

Saying that, I can see why it won't get a 120kph speed limit.

• Advertisement

Drove up it the said road the other day. No reason why it shouldn't get 120.

It is far more capable of 120 than oh I dunno...the south ring for instance. The SRR definately is not able for 120, though I feel it could cope with 110 no problem.

In fairness if there were flyovers the whole way I'd see nothing wrong with there being a limit of 120 from the Ballincollig bypass all the way to the Kinsale flyover. Between there and Mahon Point is not really capable of 120, and much and all as I'm for higher speed limits in some places, having a limit of 120 between Mahon Point and the tunnell is just a waste of time because the distance is so short.

As for the argument about oh there are places on it that aren't safe for 120, well that's why it's called a speed limit, i.e. you can only go up to that particular speed.

If travelling at the speed limit seems too fast, that's what cars have got brakes for and you go slower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

I'm not sure where I read it, but many here seem to be labouring under the delusion that the Cashel Bypass, although now a motorway, is under a 100km/h speed limit.

It's not. It is 120 km/h (I drove it today). It's now indistinguishable (virtually) from the Cashel to Mitchelstown Scheme, except at its northern end, where roadworks continue to be underway.

I also took great delight today in calling the TrafficWatch number to report a huge slow tractor on the M8 southbound between Junctions 11 and 12. It was drawing a leaky slurry tanker.

All junctions have Motorway Ahead restrictions, with one exception. Approaching Cashel from the Dublin side, you come to a huge area of roadworks, the Cashel to Cullahill/Cashel Bypass tie-in. All Cork/Cahir bound traffic is directed (via orange roadworks signage) onto the Cashel Bypass motorway -- but from the signage, a tractor or cyclist could be forgiven for thinking nothing had changed on the 24 September.

The Gardai had two speed traps in operation today: one between Junctions 11 and 12, the other on the slip road ramp at Junction 9 as you join the southbound carriageway of the M8.

Furet wrote: »
    I'm not sure where I read it, but many here seem to be labouring under the delusion that the Cashel Bypass, although now a motorway, is under a 100km/h speed limit.

It's not. It is 120 km/h (I drove it today). It's now indistinguishable (virtually) from the Cashel to Mitchelstown Scheme, except at its northern end, where roadworks continue to be underway.

That's great to hear. I think some poster heard from their local councillor that it was going to be 120km/hr. Maybe the council have applied for a 100km/hr limit. I hope not though.

I also took great delight today in calling the TrafficWatch number to report a huge slow tractor on the M8 southbound between Junctions 11 and 12. It was drawing a leaky slurry tanker.

All junctions have Motorway Ahead restrictions, with one exception. Approaching Cashel from the Dublin side, you come to a huge area of roadworks, the Cashel to Cullahill/Cashel Bypass tie-in. All Cork/Cahir bound traffic is directed (via orange roadworks signage) onto the Cashel Bypass motorway -- but from the signage, a tractor or cyclist could be forgiven for thinking nothing had changed on the 24 September.

The Gardai had two speed traps in operation today: one between Junctions 11 and 12, the other on the slip road ramp at Junction 9 as you join the southbound carriageway of the M8.

Hmm... that's nice to hear.

Yes. I am guilty of thinking that 100 km/h would be enforced as well. Considering that's what's been said for the last few months.

Anyway, from the pictures it seems the cashel-bypass has been blended seemlessly into the cashel-mitchelstown scheme in terms of pictures at least.

What I'm upset about is the fact that many local road-signs still continue to read 'N8' instead of M8.

Now of course, we all know that legislatively the M8 and N8 are pretty much the same thing. But it is only when you get to junction that you suddenly realise the road in question is motorway.

This is okay for local people, but for tourists (especially from England where, say A1 and M1 wouldn't be the same thing), this would be very confusing.

Not to mention, it means that tractors and cyclists have (an albeit very thin) excuse to travel on the road.

Oh yeah...

Furet... could you perhaps change the N8 wikipedia page to include the new shot of the Cashel bypass?

• Advertisement

BluntGuy wrote: »
    Oh yeah...

Furet... could you perhaps change the N8 wikipedia page to include the new shot of the Cashel bypass?

Could do. But a) do you think it's a good enough photo, and b) do you think we should have a photo of the Cashel Bypass on the N8 page? I think we need to gut the N8, N7, N6, N9 pages on wikipedia. There's far too much motorway information on those national road pages. What do you think?

Could do. But a) do you think it's a good enough photo, and b) do you think we should have a photo of the Cashel Bypass on the N8 page? I think we need to gut the N8, N7, N6, N9 pages on wikipedia. There's far too much motorway information on those national road pages. What do you think?

Okay, we'll just add the photograph to the M8 page and remove the picture of the Cashel bypass from the N8 page. I'll find another picture to replace it.

I agree, it is a bit pointless having that picture there now...

The photograph is good quality and does showcase the changes quite well (blue signage, solid hard shoulder).

What I'd like to get though, is a photograph with the new speed limit signs, they would be very beneficial...

Good news that its 120 :D

I laughed at the ENORMOUS M8 sign in that first pic tho :D

Thank god for that. I've questioned people on here why it would only have a 100kph speed limit and no one could give me a decent answer.

It will be difficult to try to get a photo of the speed limit signs on the slip roads, as they're always quite busy, but I agree it would be good to get a few, and I'll try at some point next week to take some.

I agree that the green signage is very annoying. On the N24, as you come from Clonmel towards its M8 junction, the green signage remains. I know that they will eventually be changed, but when is anyone's guess. A well placed email to South Tipperary County Council might be revealing.

Thank god for that. I've questioned people on here why it would only have a 100kph speed limit and no one could give me a decent answer.

Well, I got an email from Tipp Co Co last July and in it they said that the Cashel Bypass would retain a 100 km/h limit. Since then it seems that the Council have been over-ruled by the NRA - and rightly so, I'd like to add!

Do the county council have any right to change the limit on N roads. I thought that was the full responsibility of the NRA with R and L roads being the responsibility of county councils.

To me, it made no sense whatsoever to slap a 100kph limit on it. If anything that stretch of road is better quality than the Fermoy bypass.

Cork to Dublin before long will be a pleasure to drive.

Hey... I don't see emergency phones in either of the pictures.

Maybe I'm being nitpicky, but they should be there...

BluntGuy wrote: »
    Hey... I don't see emergency phones in either of the pictures.

Maybe I'm being nitpicky, but they should be there...

There don't appear to be on any of the redesignated roads, has the law been amended to allow a motorway not to have them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Also the Northbound section of the M8 Cashel bypass still has a parking area. :eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement