Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Books made into movies - A bad thing?

Options
  • 24-09-2008 12:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭

Just seen the advertisement for the movie 'The boy in the Striped Pjamas' and would love to go see it, as I really loved the book, but I got to thinking what a disappointment this can be. So many of my favouritte books are ruined by going to see the films. - I know most stephen King fans will know what I'm talking about as he's definatley had some clangers movies wise.

For example I've just read John Grishams 'The Firm' again and couldn't get Tom bloody Cruise's head out of my mind, and i enjoyed this book the first time round (before the movie). I think it takes from your imagination a bit, which with a good book is obviously key to enjoying it, who didn't feel as of they were personally travelling with Roland to the dark tower, don't think it would of been much of a journey if I had been travelling with Russell Crowe.

Not to sure who once said that the world is divided into two types of people, thoses who have read the Lord of The Rings and those who haven't, now its who watched the LoTR and those who haven't.
    Beginning to think that film companies should be made to stay away from the really good books out there. I know a girl from school who instead of reading Wuthering height - watched the movie, and regulary referred to Heathcliff as Ralph Fiennes.
    Does this bother only me? Am I book snob, ie, watching the movie doesnt count? I know good movies can be made btw, and orlando Bloom as Legolas in The LoTR was great..ahem..imagery:p. Anyway, opinions?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I think you can still enjoy both, as long as they are both good in their own right.

One has to accept they are different mediums. People always say "the film was not as good as the book", but the film isn't trying to be a book - it's trying to be a film, which involves a completely different experience.

Though, like you suggest, I do think it wise to read the book before seeing the film. Otherwise you will see movie stars instead of your own imagining of literary characters!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

I know exactly what you mean. Movies can be such a let down if the book was really good. But then again, i think if you give 2 people the same book to read, they will both read it and visualise it differently.

Thats the thing about books, it's all up to your own imagination (how you see the charachters, the setting etc). With movies youre depending on someone elses.

I still enjoy watching movies.... but never as good as a book for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭InvisibleBadger

Its worrying when you see books you like getting made. The Road and The Time travellers wife are currently in production and i can only hope they aren't butchered. But its always interesting to see what way directors interpret books, and i have read books because i liked the movie and wanted more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

I for one, prefered the lord of the rings movie to the book. The movie cut out alot of the superfluous material found in the book (such as excessive description of honeyed bread and the like)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Its realy all up in the air IMO. They can be done great, like Fight Club, or compleatley butchered like Biggles. they can also go in a third way and produce a film compleatley diffirent to the book but still very good (Jurassic park)

It really can go any direction

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Kitty_N

One of my pet hates is when a book is reprinted after the movie comes out and they use a still from the movie as the book cover, it really irritates me that they won't let me imagine what the characters look like, if I wanted to watch the movie I would!

I couldn't get Keira Knightley's stupid face out my head whilst reading Atonement.

Kitty_N wrote: »
    One of my pet hates is when a book is reprinted after the movie comes out and they use a still from the movie as the book cover, it really irritates me that they won't let me imagine what the characters look like, if I wanted to watch the movie I would!

I couldn't get Keira Knightley's stupid face out my head whilst reading Atonement.

I agree totally. when buying a book that was re-released after the film, i always try to avoid the film-cover version. (ie: Will smith on the front of I am Legend, or Tom cruise on the cover of War of the Worlds)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Kitty_N wrote: »

This is exactly what I mean, Atonement is an excellent read, and Kiera Knightly head would have ruined it for me, its another film I'v bought and am not going to watch because I loved that book and just don't think the film will compare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

Kitty_N wrote:
    One of my pet hates is when a book is reprinted after the movie comes out and they use a still from the movie as the book cover, it really irritates me that they won't let me imagine what the characters look like, if I wanted to watch the movie I would
    Couldn't agreee more. Even more irritating for me is the case of Northern Lights being relaunched as the Golden Compass after the release of the movie, with the covers of the two sequels bearing a scene from the first book. Urgh. I get remarkably angry when I spot this in the bookshop..

But back to the original point, I'd have to say I've only ever been disappointed by film adaptions of books I've read. I also read the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy AFTER seeing the movie and found the book to be far superior (although to be fair....WHAT a **** movie).

cautioner wrote: »
    (although to be fair....WHAT a **** movie).
    couldn't...agree...more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Danny Wallace wrote a book called Yes Man, in which he chronicles a period in his life where he decided to say yes to everything. It's a very entertaining book, and well worth a look if you haven't read it. However, later this year a fictionalised version starring Jim Carrey is due for release. I just know it's going to be an awful mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

I,for one cannot wait for Twilight by Stephanie Meyer to be released. It is scheduled to come out at the end of the year. Terrific vampire novel and is part of a four book collection so if they all get made I will be a very happy chappie indeed.

Just recently they have shot new scenes and will added to the final cut before the release date.

People gave out about The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen saying the book was far better than the movie. I watched the film and then later read the book and found the film compliments the novel so well. Of course everything cannot be put into the final version of the film, but what got in was very good indeed.

The closest I can think of would be Bicentennial Man (Robin Williams). The studio wanted to cut down on Isaac Asimov's complete extended novel and as a result was a watered down version of a classic story.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

cautioner wrote: »
    Couldn't agreee more. Even more irritating for me is the case of Northern Lights being relaunched as the Golden Compass after the release of the movie, with the covers of the two sequels bearing a scene from the first book. Urgh. I get remarkably angry when I spot this in the bookshop.
    Whatever about the title change, what really did annoy me about the movie was the voiceover in the trailers.

"Follow Lyra in the quest for the Golden Compass..."

I'm sorry, what? It's nothing of the sort. She's given the aleithiometer early on and is in her possession for virtually the entire movie!! I guess the movie is always on a hiding to nothing if you have to lie to your potential audience about the plot because the actuality is too complicated...

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭krpc

There are some good example to show that some good books can translate well onto the big screen.

There are some that don't - one that springs to mind is the movie 'Eragon'. The premise is the same but there are numerous particular points in the movie that contradict the book and as such took the plot in a different direction, thus causing a lot of problems for sequels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

I usually enjoy the films that have been made from books, but i have yet to find a film that can surpass the book, and to be honst, i dont think i ever will

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

gogo wrote: »
    Beginning to think that film companies should be made to stay away from the really good books out there.

If you don't like film adaptions, don't watch them! you really expect an entire artistic medium to end because you don't like it? seriously? the majority of good movies are based on books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Kitty_N

I have to say that the film version of High Fidelity was equally as fantastic as the book. I loved the book and was prepared to be a little disappointed by the movie but it was cast impeccably which mostly made up for the lost-in-translation English to American humour effect.

While the Harry Potter movies aren't as addictive as the books I thought that they really did a wonderful job of recreating some of the Hogwarts magic. I was pretty pleased with the way everything looked, nothing was too out of place from the way I had already imagined it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭greenapplesea

GoGo I definately know what you're saying here- I am always in two minds about going to see a film of a book, I just never think I'm going to enjoy it as much.

I have to admit I was a little bit disappointed with The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas (film). I just didn't think it was capable of capturing the same sense of innocence that Bruno had, it definately tried, but didn't succeed. I do think however that Bruno's mother was well adapted to the screen- I always thought reading the book that she didn't struggle enough with the decisions of her husband, but it was really evident in the film that she did I think.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Hi,
    There are one or two films I have avoided seeing in the past until I had read the books but I think I had seen the film Remains of the Day twice before I ever read the book and yet I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. Perhaps one of those rare occassions where the film did nothing to spoil the book.
    Anyone have any thoughts on it?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

fragile wrote: »
    If you don't like film adaptions, don't watch them! you really expect an entire artistic medium to end because you don't like it? seriously? the majority of good movies are based on books.

Yes, yes I do expect the film industry to fold because i don't like it
    :rolleyes: having a bad day are we fragile?.

Just wondering about good books and bad film adaptations, peoples thoughts etc.. thanks anyway for your insightful reply.

Anyway.. just seen 'The Rainmaker' recently (on a bit of a John Grisham thing at the moment), and again it didn't touch the book, allow though it is a bit dated by now. On the other hand Grishams Book 'A time to Kill' is excellent as is the film, I seen the film first though, and kept waiting for the line "yes they deserved to die, and i hope they burn in hell" in the book. Its not in it and was a little disappointed, it can work both ways I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 di74

Misery, The Green Mile & Shawshank Redemption come to mind as excellent movies from the original books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

^3 kinds of ****ing excellence.

This thread is now redundant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 James-Brod

Well, some books made into movies can be as good or better (Lord of The Rings). The only thing that annoys me is when movies completely change the story. Only example I can think of right now is Eragon. The movie changes small detail and very large details, including the whole ending! I normally look forward to books I like becoming movies, but I always prepare myself for the possible disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Honestly, it depends on the book, and on the movie. Some awful books have been made into great movies (Psycho), some great books have been made into awful movies (V for Vendetta), some great books have been made into great movies (Oil!/There Will Be Blood) and some awful books have been made into awful movies (The DaVinci ConCode).

Yes it should happen. Yes, if the source is of a high quality the director and studio should treat it with respect. No, they won't always do so, and there's nothing we can do about that.

Advertisement