Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Coolant level problems after overheating

Options
  • 24-09-2008 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Driving a 93 VW Golf. I did a long drive from Kerry to Galway over a week ago. Half an hr from home and oil light came on and got a loud beeping noise. I pulled in as soon as I could and checked the oil level which was fine. Engine was fairly hot. Took oil cap off and let it cool down for 15 minutes and then drove back to Galway. Light didnt come on after that so drove the half hr back.

After thinking about it further that night I should have checked the coolant levels as well. Did so on the Monday morning and noticed it was very low. Refilled it with water/coolant and drove to work. Checked the levels again the next morning and it was gone down again to the same low levels. Refilled it with water/collant and started checking for leaks.

The pipes to the engine was fine as far as I could see. I spotted water drips under the middle of the front bumper which were slowly dripping onto the driveway. So looks like that is where my leak is.

Is it the radiator I wonder as it's directly above the front bumper? Or a water pump?

I can bring it to a garage I suppose but thought I might be able to fix it myself.

Next step I suppose is to refill with water in the morning and try get under the car.

If anyone has any other ideas, please respond.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Fill it up with only water don't waste anymore coolant in it. Start her up and let it get hot, maybe hold the revs at 2500rpm for a 3 minutes. Then get a light and locate were its coming from. It might just be a pipe leaking. Driping off the bumper deffo not a water pump problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

Thanks for your response Plug.

Well just after checking it there this morning and the coolant levels are ok after the second refill. I'll see over the next few days if the level drops or not.

It's odd that it dropped all the way down on the first refill but not on the second. Is it a case that it was running on dry and radiator took the whole of the first refill?

There was some water drips on the bumper as well. Looks like some water gathers at the back of the bumper and any excess flows off in the middle. Not sure if it's related at all to the coolant levels as could just be excess water off the car.

I'll know more after the next few days from some further observation

Advertisement