Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

David Blaine Caught Taking Standing-Up Breaks

Options
  • 24-09-2008 1:32am

David Blaine is not really hanging upside down for 60 hours, according to FOXNews.com's eyewitness who photographed the magician standing right-side up Tuesday.

5_64_blaine1.jpg

"The revelation would seem to deflate Blaine's latest stunt, but a representative for the 35-year-old magician said he never intended to stay upside down for 60 consecutive hours.

"About once an hour he has to come down for a medical check, to stretch, and to relieve himself, because even David Blaine can't do that upside down," said Patrick Smith, an executive vice president at Rubenstein Associates. "He has said all along that there will be times when he must get his head above his heart."

Smith continued, "The doctors told him if he doesn't do that, he will die."
    Another witness at the scene told our source that Blaine turns himself around and stands up about three times an hour.
    On Monday, Blaine said he was "doin' all right" after stringing himself upside down above Central Park's Wollman ice skating rink in New York City earlier that day.

Wearing a safety harness attached to a crossbar, Blaine dangled by his feet from a large steel scaffold structure.
    Blaine said he planned to stay there for 60 hours despite doctors' warnings.

Sounding nasal from sinus pressure, Blaine kept smiling while describing the "enormous push of blood" that made it feel like his head was "about to explode."

"The legs go pins and needle very fast," he said, adding that stretches — kind of an upside-down sit-up — seem to help.
    As a child, Blaine was intrigued to learn that Harry Houdini had dangled from a crane by his ankles while escaping a straitjacket.
    "Live with Regis and Kelly" host Kelly Ripa also put on a harness and hung upside down with Blaine on her show Monday morning.

Blaine stopped eating "about a week ago," he told Ripa, so that he won't have to go to the bathroom, other than using his catheter.
    "I’ll need lots of liquids so I won’t have to go into organ failure again, which has happened twice," he said.

Other medical difficulties: Swelling of the eyes and "there’s the possibility of blood hemorrhaging in the brain," he told Ripa, along with going into an altered state due to sleep deprivation.

Doctors, who will be monitoring him throughout the feat, say the increase in blood pressure raises the risk of stroke or blindness, and gravity could restrict the blood flow to his lower extremities.

Blaine has control of the cables suspending him and has front-to-back and side-to-side maneuverability. He periodically lowers himself closer to ground to interact with fans.

The spectacle is set to conclude in an ABC television special Wednesday night when Blaine takes what he calls the "Dive of Death" and falls 44 feet to the ground.

In November 2000, Blaine spent 61 hours inside a block of ice that was situated in Times Square. Two years ago, he lived for a week underwater in an acrylic sphere in front of Lincoln Center, and in 2002, he stood atop a 90-foot pillar erected behind the New York Public Library for 35 hours.
    Blaine also lived for 44 days inside a transparent box suspended over the Thames River in London in fall 2003."

Hmm,surprised he's being so obvious about it,anyhow I'm still looking forward to the special tomorrow night...should be great

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Mirrorboy

the man is an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bigslick

blainekimboxz6.jpg

One of David Blaine’s effects for “Dive of Death” will likely be a punch in the stomach from Kimbo Slice.

According to Esther Lin of Fightlinker.com, Blaine dropped by a gym in Southern California and received a blow to the midsection from the man with the massive biceps. The stunt was an homage to Blaine’s role model, Harry Houdini, who died from a similar punch. Says Lin:

The rather physically fit Blaine claims he chose Kimbo because the fighter is one of the few people he fears. From my observation, it does not seem as if the magician is intimidated. Before the punch, Blaine does look visibly nervous. I won’t spoil the fun but there’s no illusion involved to this bit. David Blaine simply stands in the middle of the cage, lifts up his shirt to prove he’s not hiding any protective material, and asks Kimbo to punch him. And after? Kimbo is wowed by David Blaine’s resistance to his gut shot. Kimbo’s manager jokingly asks, “Hey, is this going to make Kimbo look weak?” I don’t think so. And I hope after this, Blaine checks in with a doctor.

This looks interesting. Must say i loved Houdini doing this, and I love MMA. So a win/win scenario

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

is the conclusion being shown here?

Nope only on in the states.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Hmm,surprised he's being so obvious about it,anyhow I'm still looking forward to the special tomorrow night...should be great

Maybe because he has nothing to hide.....

• Advertisement

Personally i think these people who say he is "cheating", are stupid. Even with the breaks what he is doing is an amazing feat. Its almost like people want to see him get hurt by hanging for 60 hours straight.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

wonder will they mention the break in the conclusion show. is it streamed anywhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

what channel is it being shown on in the US?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭baldbear

David Blane is some gob****e.

Mirrorboy wrote: »
    the man is an idiot.
    baldbear wrote: »
    David Blane is some gob****e.
    many thanks for ur input, care to explain why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

fatal wrote: »
    is the conclusion being shown here?

I hope not, he's contributed enough hours of crap, boring TV already.

Seriously - why is this man calling himself a magician/illusionist? The stuff he does is BORING and no great feat. Any super-fit person could do what he is doing in Central Park. If they were insane, that is.

he's not doing illusions, he's doing endurance stunts. quite similar to what a lot of old stage show illusionists did.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭baldbear

Endurance stunts are for looser magicians.
    He spent a week locked in a coffin. He Should of stayed there. He's just plain boring. He only does somthing every 2 years. Houdini, now there was a proper magician.
    Blaines tricks were better, these media circus type stunts are old news.

the main reason he does endurance stunts are because his regular magic stuff kept getting revealed and picked to pieces online. a victim of his own success really. If you find his show boring, u can always change the channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

I've heard the special is meant to include a good bit more magic than his last.

I think any man that can rip out his own heart is a pretty decent illusionist.

Really looking forward to this one,loved the Drowned Alive special...apparently he filmed a legit bullet catch last week (steel mask and cup in mouth),which will hopefully air during this special..I remember seeing a guy do this on Ripleys Believe it or not a few years back and always hoped someone would try it again.

If anyones interested you can watch abc live <snip> it should kick off at about 2am.

Really looking forward to this one,loved the Drowned Alive special...apparently he filmed a legit bullet catch last week (steel mask and cup in mouth),which will hopefully air during this special..I remember seeing a guy do this on Ripleys Believe it or not a few years back and always hoped someone would try it again.

If anyones interested you can watch abc live,using various online-tv programs (don't think I can mention them),it should kick off at about 2am.

PM plz?

Edit: Will actually be up with the cousins by 2morro morning

King Mob wrote: »
    I think any man that can rip out his own heart is a pretty decent illusionist.

Even with the less than perfect quality of a youtube video it is obvious that he is wearing a "prosthetic" chest.

The man is dull as ditchwater. His street magic stuff was good but then his ego got in the way.

eth0_ wrote: »
    Even with the less than perfect quality of a youtube video it is obvious that he is wearing a "prosthetic" chest.

The man is dull as ditchwater. His street magic stuff was good but then his ego got in the way.

Actually he's using something much more clever.
    How exactly has his ego got in the way?

Lol at prosthetic chest! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭psycho8itch

Not a fan tbh but i must say fair play to the man! If its publicity he wants, then he definitely knows how to get it. (IMO)I think a lot of the people interested in his stunts only tune in to try and catch him out. But I don't think i'd care either if it was making me rich!

Really enjoyed the special..lots of great magic and the bullet catch was exactly what I'd hoped for..its a pity the actual Dive of Death went tits up though :p

Heres the Kimbo Slice gut punch and the Bullet catch,in the same clip

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Cheers for posting that. I was more impressed with the punch for some reason?

he says the bullet catch is an illusion...wow, looked pretty real to me!

the dive was a disaster!

Why on earth would you be impressed by the bullet catch? It's not like he caught it in his teeth...he had a large metal shot glass in his mouth.

The shooter should take 100% of the credit for this (completely non-groundbreaking) stunt, not Blaine.

eth0_ wrote: »
    Why on earth would you be impressed by the bullet catch? It's not like he caught it in his teeth...he had a large metal shot glass in his mouth.

The shooter should take 100% of the credit for this (completely non-groundbreaking) stunt, not Blaine.

Wow you must be a master of the bullet catch then!
    Perhaps you would like to suggest how David Blaine could improve his performance to meet your standards?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Anyone else hoping for a different outcome in the bullet trick?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I thought the pre-recorded levitation think was a complete cheat, may as well be just movie special effects.

And then I saw this interview live at the time and thought him a complete tosser.

I am impressed with some of the endurance stunts, though it seems you always have to read all the "small print", such as these breaks etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

King Mob wrote: »
    Actually he's using something much more clever.
    How exactly has his ego got in the way?

I kinda want to know how he did it. It was very good but I guess it's lost a bit on the more cynically minded who say "oh , it's just a fake chest".
    What happened after he fell of the chair? What program was this on ?

• Advertisement

I kinda want to know how he did it. It was very good but I guess it's lost a bit on the more cynically minded who say "oh , it's just a fake chest".
    What happened after he fell of the chair? What program was this on ?

I always like the fake chest theory, cause if you take it in a certain way it sounds very silly.

Advertisement