Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I think I just fúcked up my Netopia Router (Eircom)

Options
  • 24-09-2008 3:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭

So basically I randomly decided to check if there was new firmware available for my Netopia router (pretty stupid, since everything was working perfectly, but I do dumb spontaneous things like this sometimes), so I clicked the appropriate link on the router's settings page. It brought me to a site which had apparently upgraded firmware, but when I downloaded and installed it, it was actually a downgrade, i.e. the firmware that originally came with the router. So I tried to update the firmware back to what I had, and the auto update didn't work, so I went to the Netopia site, got the latest firmware (it was a higher version than I originally had) and installed it manually. I then restarted the router as was requested, and then suddenly wasn't able to connect wirelessly. I tried with an ethernet cable and could only get "Limited Connectivity". I turned on and off my router and the power light came on red as opposed to green, which I'm guessing means the firmware is corrupt... :S

So is there any hope or will I have to get a new router (information on this issue is scarce online, and it isn't helping that I'm on dial up now) ? What's the best course of action now? I'd like to get the internet back up and running ASAP, since my Dad needs it (he's gonna kill me when he finds out). Should I call Eircom (is there some way they could fix it?) or can I just buy a new router? Or is there even some way I could fix it myself? (I doubt it)

It's a Netopia 3347W btw.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

Did you try resetting it?
    The should be a small hole beside the power button.
    Just hold a pen or a neede to push in the button hold it in for 5 seconds and then release.

Worth a shot...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

a few words of advise, never NEVER try to update the firmware in a device using wireless, a hardwired connection is the only way to do this successfully.

As suggested above try pushing the reset button at boot up and hold it for a good 20 secs or so, then try to connect to the homepage, 192.168.1.254 or 192.168.1.1 depending on the firmware. If your PC cannot get an IP then you will need to give it one manually in the same subnet, google this, thats what google is for.

All may not be lost but if you get no reply from the homepage try pinging the routers IP (see above) and if you get a reply then at least you know its still alive. Might be shorter in the end to just ring the eircom script monkeys and say your modem has stopped working (pretend nothing) and get them to send you a new one.

MC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Heh, thanks for the help guys, I wrote this in a bit of a panic last night. It was fairly eaily resolved in the end by pushing the reset button (which I tried last night but didn't hold it for long enough).

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Reesy

Hi, for anyone else learning from this thread, I had a similar problem. In resetting my 3347 router I lost all my internet - so rang eircom. On my 3rd call to Eircom, I spoke to a person who was actually quite helpful(!). He got me to change the TCP/IP settings, & I git my wired internet back. Then he told me to change the channel on my wireless from the default channel 7, and I worked thru the channels till hey presto it worked.

He did say if I have further problems to call & they'd send a new router. So far so good, no need ... yet.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Also bear in mind that with some router/modems that when you upgrade the firmware the basic settings go back to default. I had one years that (cant remember the make) and any time there was a firmware upgrade you had to enter in your log on details incl password and basic set up stuff again.

So if you upgrading firmware for the first time always make sure you have a note of your set up details before you start.

• Advertisement
Advertisement