Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GENERAL DUNDALK CHAT.

Options
  • 24-09-2008 6:50am

HELLO ALL,:D

i thought i'd start this thread and just see how it goes.

so here goes

anyone know whats happening with the old greenore train station building on quay street opposite the greenore pub? i see a new roof has gone on it recently and its covered in scaffolding. i assume its a protected building??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I think it's a protected building but the latest is that they have scaffolding all around it and have put a new roof on it. Watch this space for any braking developments!
    :P

WOWZERS this thread is really takin off. its just what i dreamed of

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

LOL

Moved this into Louth for you. Don't think the main forum gets much traffic since the county fora were created.

Must have a look at that old station, don't think I noticed the work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

Don't know anything about the old Greenore train station building so am veering wildly off topic here to tell you about the amazing tea and coffee shop I stumbled across the other day!

There's an amazing selection of teas and coffees! Black tea, green tea, white tea, rooibos teahoneybush tea, herbal tea.... and all sorts of different coffee beans they will grind for you if you want!

I got one of the Rooibos teas called "Happines Tea" and it did indeed make me happy! :D Will be going back soon to try some others!

It's called Gurmans and you'll find it amongst that row of shops they call Demense Shopping Centre, where the fishing tackle shop is... near Park Street... sorry, I'm terrible at directions!

Anyway, if you like tea and coffee check it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

sudzs wrote: »

It's called Gurmans and you'll find it amongst that row of shops they call Demense Shopping Centre, where the fishing tackle shop is... near Park Street... sorry, I'm terrible at directions!

Called the Short Walk, its the wee bit before the Long Walk ;)

• Advertisement

sudzs wrote: »
    Don't know anything about the old Greenore train station building so am veering wildly off topic here to tell you about the amazing tea and coffee shop I stumbled across the other day!

There's an amazing selection of teas and coffees! Black tea, green tea, white tea, rooibos teahoneybush tea, herbal tea.... and all sorts of different coffee beans they will grind for you if you want!

I got one of the Rooibos teas called "Happines Tea" and it did indeed make me happy! :D Will be going back soon to try some others!

Anyway, if you like tea and coffee check it out!

the missus got me some stuff from there. the gold tea and magic tea are superduper.

Called the Short Walk, its the wee bit before the Long Walk ;)

You may call it the Short walk but it is, and has been for generations, called the Demense.

You may call it the Short walk but it is, and has been for generations, called the Demense.

I would call it the Demesne and only got the Short Walk from both of my grandfathers so its around a while

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭cargo

Back on topic, I heard it's a solicitors office going into that building opposite the Greenore Bar.

cargo wrote: »
    Back on topic, I heard it's a solicitors office going into that building opposite the Greenore Bar.

HHHHMMMMMM interesting. a solicitor will never be short of business down the quay, i speak from experience.:D

thats interesting about the 'short walk'. isnt there an area in town known as 'the gut'? anyone know where and why????:confused:

• Advertisement

isnt there an area in town known as 'the gut'? anyone know where and why????:confused:

Williamsons Place off Park St is the gut. So called because it is so narrow.

Defenders Row was once called Squeeze Gut Alley for the same reason (although it is actually wider nowadays)

Williamsons Place off Park St is the gut. So called because it is so narrow.

Defenders Row was once called Squeeze Gut Alley for the same reason (although it is actually wider nowadays)

:eek:DEADLY. here is the ultimate dundalk pub quiz question, not many people know this one:

name the smallest park in dundalk???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭dfcelt

Parnell Park, opposite Old Shopping Centre :o

Would say Hughes Park is about the same size as Parnell Park, its a toughie !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭bettedavis

St leonards park, seatown!

:eek:DEADLY. here is the ultimate dundalk pub quiz question, not many people know this one:

name the smallest park in dundalk???

Kearneys Park (The roundabout at the Garda Barracks) was in the Guinness Book of Records as the smallest park in Europe many years ago. It no longer qualifies as a park as it is a designated traffic island but I think you may have it in mind.

WRONG
    dfcelt wrote: »
    Parnell Park, opposite Old Shopping Centre :o

AND WRONG :pac:.

when is a park not a park? when its a ROUNDABOUT.

do you know the roundabout at the cresent just up from the friary with all the nice flowers on it?? believe it or not that is a park. according to a woman i know who has been in town for donkeys, it is called CARNEY park ( named after a priest from the friary i think) . apparently years ago it was square shaped and had railings around it but as new roads were built over the years it was cut back into a circular shape and eventually became a roundabout. i plan to test this by erecting a deckchair in the middle of it, i wonder what a passing guard would say? you cant be arrested for sitting in a park:D

CLASS OR WHAT???

WRONG

do you know the roundabout at the cresent just up from the friary with all the nice flowers on it?? believe it or not that is a park. according to a woman i know who has been in town for donkeys, it is called CARNEY park ( named after a priest from the friary i think) . apparently years ago it was square shaped and had railings around it but as new roads were built over the years it was cut back into a circular shape and eventually became a roundabout. i plan to test this by erecting a deckchair in the middle of it, i wonder what a passing guard would say? you cant be arrested for sitting in a park:D

CLASS OR WHAT???

Was class 2 hours earlier when Srameen told us :p

So where is the smallest street in the town then?

Was class 2 hours earlier when Srameen told us :p

So where is the smallest street in the town then?

DOH!!!

smallest street? not sure

is it ship street at the side of larrys shop?

• Advertisement

WRONG

CLASS OR WHAT???

I think you've missed a rather important point. It is no longer, and hasn't been for years, a park. You said it yourself above " when is a park not a park?" It's NOT a park!!! It was the smallest park in Dundalk. So where is the smallest park in Dundalk??:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭dfcelt

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DundalkDuffman

WRONG

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfcelt
    Parnell Park, opposite Old Shopping Centre

AND WRONG .

So effectively, me & Duffman are not wrong but still in with a shout :P

Ship Street certainly used to be and for years there wasonly one residence on it as well making it the least populated street! I see flats on it now butgiven that the length of it hasn't changed then it must be close :-)

You're right. Ship Street was always taken to be the shortest street in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

That tiny little street leading from Bridge st down to beside the Castletown girls school is tiny. John st or Sraid Eoin is what it's called. It's meant to be the oldest street in town, think there was really old brickwork in it. Haven't been down that way in ages, could be all modernised now.

Guess where in town the highest point above sea level is. Apart from climbing up a building pretend there's a flood.. where should we all escape to.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭cargo

Highest point? Castletown Moate / Castletown Waterworks?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

What's happening at the square? A large steel structure has been erected across from the taxi rank. Tinnelly's look to have put it up so I'm wondering is the building there under strain? [wild speculation] With the great fire of Dundalk a couple of years ago and all the demolition/construction afterwards perhaps the foundations have been compromised [/wild specutlaion]. Anyone else see it yet or hear what it's about?

cargo wrote: »
    Highest point? Castletown Moate / Castletown Waterworks?

I was told by someone who should know what they're talking about that it's up at the end of Hughes' Pk. Maybe he meant the highest point in the town itself not the outskirts as it's hard to believe it's higher there than Castletown mount.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭TheBigFella

Ann22 wrote: »
    Guess where in town the highest point above sea level is.

I met a few 'Crips' on Ice House Hill recently and you won't get much higher than they were !!!!

Advertisement