Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GENERAL DUNDALK CHAT.

Options
2»

Comments

I met a few 'Crips' on Ice House Hill recently and you won't get much higher than they were !!!!

ah the coxes crips, bless their wee socks. when i see one i wanna playfully grab him in a headlock and rub my knuckles off his scalp. they're no way as hard as the quay boys though, the way they hang around outside barrack st stores all day saturday phlegming on the ground makes me quake with fear OOOoooooOOOhhh SCARY.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Ann22 wrote: »
    I was told by someone who should know what they're talking about that it's up at the end of Hughes' Pk. Maybe he meant the highest point in the town itself not the outskirts as it's hard to believe it's higher there than Castletown mount.

I think we need a definition of "the Town" from the person who raised the question.
    I think the top of Hill St bridge is above the land at Hughes Park. Castletown Motte is probably the more acceptable answer for the town as it is today. I await the answer with interest.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

An engineer who worked for the council told me years ago that the end of Hughes' Pk was the highest point in town above sea level. I'm not sure if he meant just the streets of town or not but I am sure he said it was higher than the Hill st bridge 'cos we all guessed that point as being the highest and he said it wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭TheBigFella

Speaking of Hill St. bridge, when then hell are they going to knock it down? We bought a house on the Avenue road 11 years ago and it was being talked about then.
    Hopefully it will be sooner rather than later as it is a traffic nightmare.

Speaking of Hill St. bridge, when then hell are they going to knock it down? We bought a house on the Avenue road 11 years ago and it was being talked about then.
    Hopefully it will be sooner rather than later as it is a traffic nightmare.

last i heard was that the council is waiting until the shopping centre closes (cant be much longer ) and then bulldozing the whole frickin lot.

• Advertisement

I think it'll be sad to see the shopping centre go. I remember the old days in the late eighties when we'd all troop up there on a Saturday afternoon and troop around in aimless circles only to be moved on by the security men.:o We'd hang around in Slipped Disc for a while, have a wee look in Carroll's book shop. Maybe have a cup of coffee in the coffee shop with a bun smuggled from the bakery downstairs at the back door (cheaper). Good times.:)

I think it'll be sad to see the shopping centre go. I remember the old days in the late eighties when we'd all troop up there on a Saturday afternoon and troop around in aimless circles only to be moved on by the security men.:o We'd hang around in Slipped Disc for a while, have a wee look in Carroll's book shop. Maybe have a cup of coffee in the coffee shop with a bun smuggled from the bakery downstairs at the back door (cheaper). Good times.:)

yeah there will also be a tear in my eye when they destroy the hill st bridge, i did a whole lot of shiftin under there in my teens. the early nintetys - a golden era of shifts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭bettedavis

Flashback! we'd do circuits of the top floor all day saturday, and it seemed huge! and they only had one c.d. (tape) on continuous loop.......all i remember is Kate Bush singing wuthering heights over and over and over again! and the place would be thronged, the coffee shop, pa's , queing for the payphone for your lift home cause mobiles hadn't been invented ! top drawer, oh the fancy pages i bought in there! then down to ian carrolls for Just17 and a bottle of warm coke, (cause he never plugged in the fridges) it's actually depressing to see how deserted it is now.

I remember when I was young my mother would bring us up to the Shopping Centre one night a few weeks before Christmas to Quinnsworth to pick what we wanted Santy to bring. We'd no car so we'd walk uptown in the dark...cool! I was afraid to go up and down the escalators at first. Generally my mother used to shop in Backhouses, the shopping would be delivered in a cardboard box. We'd be peeping into it to see if there were any goodies.. which there wasn't usually.:o

this weeks argus:

there is no money in the coffers for the removal of hill st bridge which will cost about 8 million yoyos. since the bridge is not a national or secondary route dont expect any change for at least 5 years. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

this weeks argus:

there is no money in the coffers for the removal of hill st bridge which will cost about 8 million yoyos. since the bridge is not a national or secondary route dont expect any change for at least 5 years. :eek:

Makes you wonder how the hell it costs 8 million to remove a bridge! Surely there are contractors that would only be mad for the work

i was thinkin the very same thing. 5 mates and a couple of kango hammers and i would happily obliterate the hooer for ONE million.

I used to love walking over the bridge when I was a child, peeping through the railings at the drop, usually when I was being taken to the hospital to get my eyes tested or to the dentist (Nightmare!Dragon with red hair traumatised me, pulled my teeth out by the roots with the barest amount of anesthetic and me screaming:eek:).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

A nightmare bridge, always dread getting caught before the lights change,
    Is it just me or is the lack of fireworks each night in town an unexpected bonus of the "credit crunch"

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭TheBigFella

Last year was also very quiet leading up to halloween. I think its the Garda crack down thats made a big difference. We were in Jonesboro last week and every second person had a black bin liner full of fireworks.
    Wait 'til Friday night and you'll see plenty.

I'm on the Dublin Road and have heard plenty of them already! Pain in the bum but twill all be over soon :-)

indiewindy wrote: »
    A nightmare bridge, always dread getting caught before the lights change

Going up the Avenue or through towards town ?
    Either way you have longer than you think anyways :D

Advertisement