Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Foundation

Options
  • 24-09-2008 7:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

I just started 5th year and were doing the basics of Irish all over again.I'm alerady struggling. This is pass and I can't seem to keep up. I was just wondering does anyone know what the foundation Irish paper is like for LC?

I know if I work extremely hard I could scrap a pass,but that would take alot of effort. I would rather but that time in to Maths/English etc.

All comments appreicated.

Regards

Shano

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Here is last year's foundation level Irish paper, from examinations.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

If you really want to do well you could consider going to the gaeltacht this summer...

If you know a friend or something that's going to a gaeltacht you should go too. I wasn't the best at Irish in 5th year, I was doing pass too, but I learned more in 3 weeks during my summer before 6th year than I did in the 3 years before that in Irish class.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Had a quick glance at that paper.I could proberly get an A or a B:/

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭gaybitch

I wouldn't drop to Foundation yet. Work hard enough this year, don't absolutely kill yourself, but give the Ordinary a decent enough try. You'll regret it if you don't. There was a thread only the other week about a guy who did Foundation and then realised at the eleventh hour that he needed to do the Ordinary. By doing Foundation, you are cutting your options considerably at an early stage - it's only the start of fifth year! Do your best, don't neglect other subjects, but put your all into the work for this year, and try to tough it out. Maybe get a grind or tell your teacher exactly how you feel - I'm sure they'd help you out loads if they knew you felt out of your depth.

Go to the Gaeltacht before you head into sixth year - a good, strict Gaeltacht like Colaiste Chamuis or Colaiste na bhFiann.

Then consider your options this time next year. Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Eamonn Brophy

I think anyone who does foundation Irish is a disgrace....How many years have you been doing it in school now? christ... (IMO ;) )

Grab a copy of buntús cainte and crack into it. at least do pass, if you cant handle honours. Colleges dont even count foundation.

• Advertisement

You don't know those people who do foundation Irish, you don't know how many years they've been doing it, or anything else about them. You are in no position to call them a disgrace, or anything similar.

Shano: if you could already get an A or B in Foundation at the start of 5th year, I would strongly recommend sticking with pass. You have 2 years ahead of you... If you did TY it's very likely you got a bit rusty with Irish too, so give it a chance for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Eamonn Brophy

You don't know those people who do foundation Irish, you don't know how many years they've been doing it, or anything else about them. You are in no position to call them a disgrace, or anything similar.

Shano: if you could already get an A or B in Foundation at the start of 5th year, I would strongly recommend sticking with pass. You have 2 years ahead of you... If you did TY it's very likely you got a bit rusty with Irish too, so give it a chance for a while.

First off let me state the fact that that is my opinion and I'm entitled to one. you have yours, and I've got mine.

There is a serious language problem in this country esspecially with Irish. people studying it in school their entire lives but still flunking at leaving cert level which for the record isn't that hard.

If he came from any sitaution where he imigrated or moved here or so on he'd be exempt unless he chose not to be.
    My point was that if he's having that much trouble to crack down and learn outside of school. Once you can speak it that's half the battle.

First off let me state the fact that that is my opinion and I'm entitled to one. you have yours, and I've got mine.
    You're not entitled to be abusive to people on this board, however.
    There is a serious language problem in this country esspecially with Irish. people studying it in school their entire lives but still flunking at leaving cert level which for the record isn't that hard.
    Isn't that hard for you.
    I found HL Maths easy. I would never, ever tell someone who did OL or Foundation that they are a disgrace. You know why? Because I know that not everyone is the same as me.

And yes, I know there's a serious language problem. Abusing people who do Foundation Level Irish is not going to fix it.

Advertisement