Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cereal from Tesco - six months out of date!

Options
  • 24-09-2008 8:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭

Bought cereal from Tesco on Parnell Street a week ago, only noticed the sell-by date - April 2008! Jesus, I can't believe it...say what you want, I should've checked the sell-by date before purchase, blah blah, doesn't hide the fact that they should NOT be selling stuff ANY time past their sell-by date.

I've emailed Tesco and the Food Safety Authority to complain..

Did this ever happen to anyone else, and if so, what was done about it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

ozzyoh wrote: »
    Bought cereal from Tesco on Parnell Street a week ago, only noticed the sell-by date - April 2008! Jesus, I can't believe it...say what you want, I should've checked the sell-by date before purchase, blah blah, doesn't hide the fact that they should NOT be selling stuff ANY time past their sell-by date.

Oh yes, friend of mine bought a mars bar that was two weeks out of date, he rang the FSA and they raided the store wearing berets and machine guns. The manager was taken outside and tied to a rock. He was then allowed to flog him with a cat o nine tails for 15 minutes while the public threw tomatoes at him.

In all fairness though, nothing much will happen, you'll get a letter saying "Thank you for your input" there won't be any compensation or anything as nobody became ill as a result .... you will get a new box of cornflakes however.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Why did you involve the FSA?
    It was not a safety issue! It wasn't going to kill you!

Just bring it back and explain it to the Customer Service desk. They'll give you a refund or a replacement. Simple as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

And I don't imagine the box was sitting on the shelves for months either considering that store is not even open 6 months, didn't that only open recently ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Carturo

Jeez it was obviously overlooked. It was hardly intentional, OK it shouldn't happen but things like this are inevitable from time to time. And when I said that I mean something being overlooked/not checked properly.

Reporting it is not going to stop it in future. Human error and all that. It was a box of cereal. It wasn't as if it was an airplane with a wing hanging off trying to taxi down the run way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Bring it back, get a refund.

End of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Solarball10

Carturo wrote: »
    Jeez it was obviously overlooked. It was hardly intentional, OK it shouldn't happen but things like this are inevitable from time to time. And when I said that I mean something being overlooked/not checked properly.

Reporting it is not going to stop it in future. Human error and all that.

Human error? Pretty big error...don't shop assisants have a "rotating" system - where the older (NOT out of date) stock goes to the front, and the newer goes to the back? I dread to think when they last checked the cereal aisle....

To whoever told me to bring it back...it's now half empty, and I don't have a receipt to prove when I bought it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

More nonsense! I have picked up items in Supermarkets which were past their best before or sell by dates. I've pointed it out to the store and the items were always replaced with an apology.

You're neither sick nor sore as a result of it so just exchange the bleeding Cornflakes for a frsh box!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,958 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

proof here that out-of-date cereal can't hurt you:

http://www.thesneeze.com/mt-archives/000114.php

More nonsense! I have picked up items in Supermarkets which were past their best before or sell by dates. I've pointed it out to the store and the items were always replaced with an apology.

You're neither sick nor sore as a result of it so just exchange the bleeding Cornflakes for a frsh box!!

YES, BUT MY MISTAKE WAS I DIDN'T SEE THE SELL-BY DATE UNTIL THE BOX WAS HALF EMPTY!

You reckon if I bring in an empty box, they'll exchange it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Well then you'ld have scam artists saving all their old boxes.

If you've eaten half of it and you're not sick then what's the problem?
    The FSA will just tell you "Best before" is just an indication. It's "Use by" that you have to worry about.

• Advertisement

they will change it, they have a no quibble policy - but seriously - it's dried food that hasn't killed you! get over it! god there's people dying from starvation in the world and you're having a freak attack over a few stale cornflakes! you sound like you were only short of admitting yourself to A&E

Grainne C wrote: »
    they will change it, they have a no quibble policy - but f*cking seriously - it's dried food that hasn't killed you! get over it! god there's people dying from starvation in the world and you're having a freak attack over a few stale cornflakes! you sound like you were only short of admitting yourself to A&E

Hmmm, exactly where does it imply that I'm "only short" of admitting myself to A & E?

You might not have a problem eating stale food, but I do :rolleyes:

Take a chill pill, no need for language.

apologies for the language - there was no need!

I do have a problem eating stale food - obviously, but it's not a health and safety issue,if they were selling fresh chickens 4 months out of date it's a different story!

Look, the guys doing the rotation of this stock are not always happy in their jobs, I've worked in tesco while I was in school and people (not all!) get treated badly, they couldn't give a damn if your cornflakes are out of date cos they're not paid enough to care - simple as.

As I said, they have a no quibble policy and if you bring the half eaten box back, they will replace them. To be honest, I'd say you'll probably get some vouchers from them too.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

YES, BUT MY MISTAKE WAS I DIDN'T SEE THE SELL-BY DATE UNTIL THE BOX WAS HALF EMPTY!

Your mistake was not keeping your receipt. You lose. Play again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I'm really glad the OP has contacted the FSA about this.

Tesco is the only grocery shop i've ever bought food from that was WELL out of date, on several occasions. I won't set food in their shops now, they just don't care about their customers at all. I know several other people who have had the same experience.

There is absolutely no excuse for this!

Your mistake was not keeping your receipt. You lose. Play again.

keeping the receipt?? who honestly keeps the receipt to every grocery shopping they've ever done? And Tesco don't expect you to either, in fact, if you have a clubcard and used it then they have he details of what you bought so you've got proof of purchase!

keeping the receipt?? who honestly keeps the receipt to every grocery shopping they've ever done? And Tesco don't expect you to either, in fact, if you have a clubcard and used it then they have he details of what you bought so you've got proof of purchase!

Dammit, I don't have a clubcard!! :o

Do you reckon they would take a half-eaten box back anyway though? Like someone already said, I could be a scam artist having bought the box way back in February or March, eaten half, then said "Oh, I'll wait until April passes, then go back, pretend I bought them recently, and kick up a big fuss to get free stuff!" I don't even care about free stuff...I 'd just like to see 'em get a rap on the knuckles for this kind of carry-on.....

Dammit, I don't have a clubcard!! :o

Do you reckon they would take a half-eaten box back anyway though? Like someone already said, I could be a scam artist having bought the box way back in February or March, eaten half, then said "Oh, I'll wait until April passes, then go back, pretend I bought them recently, and kick up a big fuss to get free stuff!" I don't even care about free stuff...I 'd just like to see 'em get a rap on the knuckles for this kind of carry-on.....

Well if they even try to plant that one on you kick up the biggest fuss about how they don't respect or trust their customers and how dare they call you a liar, i'll see your box of cornflakes and raise you two boxes of frosties :p

Hmmm, you know what, I'll try it! Let you know how I get on....
    Just got the following back from Tesco:

Thank you for taking the time to contact us. Allow me to apologise sincerely for the out of date product you purchased in our Parnell Street store recently. Staff are trained to identify and remove from sale any products that are approaching their sell by date. Obviously in this case, this has not happened and staff will need to be retrained on this immediately.

I have passed a copy of your mail to the management team in store, requesting that they investigate this matter fully. If you would like to be contacted by a member of management in store directly regarding this, please provide a contact number and I will arrange for this to happen.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention and please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

People who expect to have some comeback when a product is not up to scratch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I keep reciepts for every product that may not be up to scratch, you never know when an out of date cereal will turn my life upside down, jesus christ talk about making a mountain out of a molehill, it was a simple mistake, they responded, you're not dead, move on

god how crap would life be if I always expected the worst from my weekly shop!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭shoelaceface

krudler wrote: »
    I keep reciepts for every product that may not be up to scratch, you never know when an out of date cereal will turn my life upside down, jesus christ talk about making a mountain out of a molehill, it was a simple mistake, they responded, you're not dead, move on

never had problem with tescos, shelves are constantly being restocked!

only time we had to bring something back was with a multipack of 7up (3 pack) the middle bottle had no 7up in it, had got punctured along the way and leaked out before we bought it! brought it back, not a word was said, replaced and out the door within minutes! no hassle at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Okay, i'll agree that it should never have happened, but it was a "Best before" date, and not a "Use by" date. They are both very different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

doesn't hide the fact that they should NOT be selling stuff ANY time past their sell-by date.

Mistakes happen, minimum wage shelf packers aren't the most highly trained. When I worked for Dunnes, I had a 5 minute training and induction course.

You shouldn't have gotten the FSA involved, it's nothing to do with them, and you'll only look silly for doing so. If you tell the manager of the store, they'll have any past sell by date product removed. What else would you like?

A best before date is just that, best before. After this date, it'll simply be not as good as it could be, but nothing wrong with it. Even if they turn soft, they're still OK to eat, they'd just taste strange (maybe).
    Either continue eating it, as there's nothing wrong, dump it, or bring it back to the shop. A "use by" date on fresh meat or dairy products is a different story, as they can become dangerous to consume.
    Well then you'ld have scam artists saving all their old boxes.

I don't imagine any scammer would bother to con Tesco out of half a box of cornflakes, unless it's a slow day for the 419ers and they can get the refund by Western Union :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭Xcellor

IMO its a bit over the top to make a big song and dance over this, dried goods that are sealed are not going to kill you or make you sick. Refund/Replacement would be offered no question asked.

However Tescos do make a habit at least in my Longford branch of selling rancid fruit with reduced stickers on. I thought I saw a real bargain there the other day, half price strawberries. On closer inspection they were no longer strawberries but boxes of penicilin/mould. If it had of been one box you could say, "Oh it was overlooked... or it just went mouldy..." but there was a couple of shelves of this. They also like to put rotten fruit in plastic bags and try and sell it at reduced prices. I guess they hope the plastic will cover the smell and rotten appearance of whatever lies underneath.

If it isn't fit for human consumption why is it being sold?

I can accept reduced prices on things that are nearly past their sell by date but are still good but these types of "bargains" are just plain wrong.

The staff at the check out don't recognize rotten either... The other day I did a test, I purposefully let a potato which had a large chunk of mould on it and put it on the conveyor. It was weighed and scanned without any mention despite the fact it was fairly obvious it was no longer all potato. I asked for it to be credited but really this should have been spotted.

Longford Tesco you have been named and shamed!!

X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Alternatively, check the date on the box before putting it into your basket/trolley.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

jor el wrote: »
    Mistakes happen, minimum wage shelf packers aren't the most highly trained. When I worked for Dunnes, I had a 5 minute training and induction course.

Lol, it's about 4 hours now. I'd imagine Tesco's is roughly the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Musha

Well if they even try to plant that one on you kick up the biggest fuss about how they don't respect or trust their customers and how dare they call you a liar, i'll see your box of cornflakes and raise you two boxes of frosties :p

LOL :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Humor_Cereal_Killer_Black_Shirt.jpg

Advertisement