Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to get rid of dock leaves from lawn?

Options
  • 24-09-2008 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭

can anyone advise on how to get rid of dock leaves from a lawn? my wife bought a product for this (can't remember the name). However it stated on the package that it can't be used on lawns as it will kill the dock leaves and everything nearby aswell!

cheers for the advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

normally something like Roundup will kill anything green. What I could recomend is placing some newspapers around the plant to be killed. Apply the weedkiller and wait till any excess has dripped onto the newspaper and dried up. I did this with mare's tail and the grass lived to tell the tale.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭*Derek*

tampopo wrote: »
    normally something like Roundup will kill anything green. What I could recomend is placing some newspapers around the plant to be killed. Apply the weedkiller and wait till any excess has dripped onto the newspaper and dried up. I did this with mare's tail and the grass lived to tell the tale.

I wouldn't be using roundup on lawn. Wind could take it or anything. Mcpa or duplosan will work on docks. There easy enough to kill once you have right spray. 40/1 mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭*Derek*

tampopo wrote: »

I wouldn't be using roundup on lawn. Wind could take it or anything. Mcpa or duplosan will work on docks. There easy enough to kill once you have right spray. 40/1 mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

Getting rid of docks is difficult for a number of reasons.
    Docks store energy in a deep taproot which is difficult to kill in one go, repeated sprayingts are necessary. If the taproot is broken, each piece becomes a new plant. Imagine what happens when roots are rotovated. Dock seed remains viable in the ground for over 70 years.
    Repeated cuttings will weaken the roots as they try to push up new growth, spray will be more effective when the roots are hungry. Painting the leaves with roundup gives good results without damaging roots. In a new lawn repeated cutting alone will reduce the number of docks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

You can apply Roundup neat with a small brush and paint centre of plant. However a more effective method would be to make a paste using equal amouints of roundup with washing up liquid and brush on leaves etc with small brush. Avoid contact with anything else and apply during dry conditions, at least 2 -3 hours is required for weed to absorb chemical and a further 7-10 days to effectively kill weed (incl root). Note thsi could be longer if temperatures drop and weed intake slows etc.

Assuming weather remains reasonable, do not cut area for 2 weeks.

You might also try covering weed after application with old plant pots to provide some protection from sudden rainshowers.

Roundup biodegrades on contact with soil and is a reliable and excellent systemic weedkiller, ie kills above and below ground.

Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭spoutwell

There is 'Bandock' which I used to try and kill docks in a field one year. It did kill them but they came back. I tried again and it killed them again but they did come back. I meant to keep it up but hadn't the time. I imagine if you keep poisoning them every time they appear they will die eventually. Bandock doesn't kill grass, you'll get it (or Nettleban, which seems to have the same chemicals) in an agri-store. I heard of someone cutting the docks back to the root and injecting weedkiller into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 souperduper

Theres only 1 product that works Garlon 2 can be used in established lawns so it harmless to grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭X1R

Any of the following products will help:
    Duplosan,
    Dioweed/Diaweed,
    Bandock,
    Grazon 90,
    Genoxone.
    Docks need constant work as another poster said, the seeds can remain dormant for years and are a total pain but persever.

Dioweed is EXCELLENT for MARES TAIL (Looks like tiny chrstmas trees) Roundup cannot kill this but the 2-4D in Dioweed will EVENTUALLY kill this dinosaur of weeds.

Genoxone is a generic of Grazon 90 (cheaper).
    It will work on the following:
    Nettles, thistles, docks, briars, brambles, brushwood, bindweed and whins.
    Basicaly everything except grass.

Hope thats a help. :D

Advertisement