Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

€1 Car?

Options
  • 24-09-2008 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭

I'm going to be stupid for a second.

I saw a couple of cars advertised on dealers website for €1.
    Is this serious?
    Surely if they don't sell at this price its false advertising?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I'd say its a €1 deposit!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I think they do it to attract attention and then claim it was a typo or sumsuch.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,510 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

There are quite a few that say €77 or such, that turns out to be the price per week to buy it via finance or whatever deal they have

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

Didn't Clarkson buy that Volvo for a quid in the £100 Car Challenge.

Juan Pablo wrote: »
    Didn't Clarkson buy that Volvo for a quid in the £100 Car Challenge.

yep - and drove it into a wall and it still worked!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 marktspud

the put the cars for 1 euro because when you search for a car - the search will start with the lowest (or highest) price!

Therefore they guarantee their car will be seen

Remember the old adage, "If it sounds too good to be true............................:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

marktspud wrote: »
    the put the cars for 1 euro because when you search for a car - the search will start with the lowest (or highest) price!

Therefore they guarantee their car will be seen

Remember the old adage, "If it sounds too good to be true............................:D

Aye but quite simply they're breaking the Consumer Act 2007 and should be reported.
    *writes letter to ASAI*

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

the dealers can do this, as im sure the legal thing is that the ad is only an invitation to buy, not the legal price?

may be wrong though?

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

kceire wrote: »
    the dealers can do this, as im sure the legal thing is that the ad is only an invitation to buy, not the legal price?

may be wrong though?

Yup i remember that invitation to buy thing from my business days at school. Its perfectly legal afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

I bought a car for £1 from a dealer. Got a year out of it and sold it to another dealer for the price of a new set of tyres.

The jist of it is this.
    They are cars they get as trade-ins. Usually not the type of car they would sell on the forecourt. They are not allowed give them away, they have to sell them. I'm not sure how the recycling thing works here though. They sell for a Euro and write the "loss" off.

I dunno if this is the case here, 'cause it usually goes on within the dealership or within the trade anyway, someone might get it for their kids or nephew or something like that.

Worth checking out though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Its probably a FIAT and €1 is too much to pay. Haggle with him man!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I don't think dealers are this desperate just yet.

Most likely a stunt to get people to look at the advert and hopefully enquire about the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

It's only legal if it is a mistake and the seller refuses to sell the item on that grounds, It is not legal if the seller intentionally shows a lower price to get your attention.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I heard Biffo was trying to talk Michael O' Leary into taking the Ryanair concept & business model into the Irish motor industry to kick start it again, with 1 Euro cars and showrooms that are located in the back of old disused bog sites. Maybe he's just opened his first showroom!!!

:D:D:D

Advertisement