Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Satelite Dishes

Options
  • 24-09-2008 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Without wanting to offend the Management Companies, I am just wondering if anyone else in Ch. Wood received a delightful letter yesterday regarding satelilte dishes and their removal? Our letter was just addressed to "the resident" so I'm assuming they sent it out to every resident that has committed this heinous offence.

As we're only in the house about 2 years, is this the first time these delightful letters have been sent out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭youknowwho

yes I got it too, was going to deny getting it if an issue arose, but as it's gone to everyone I can see anyone buying into that excuse.
    The issue was raised at the first AGM and I thought the they agreed to let it lie as so many were against it, there were also a lot of people who moved in before the developement was complete, and they were told to go down the route of satalite dishes as the service for NTL were incomplete, and these people entered contracts which they couldn't get out of. I 've no doubt that its going to create problems if they try to inforce it. if they inforce that they have to inforce everything to the same degree, parking skylights alarms pets etc.
    I wonder if any of our neighbours who are solicitors may have a take on it? What about freedom of competition, wheres that if we HAVE to deal with NTL. I've no doubt that the a deal was done between the developer and NTL for them to get there services provided at the exclusion of others.
    Interesting times ahead no doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

youknowwho wrote: »
    Interesting times ahead no doubt

Wouldn't count on it - Residents of The Park got letters over a year ago and nothing since. Probably just doing a mail shot to keep the few that do complain about the dishes quiet for a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭youknowwho

thats nice to know, are wyse the agents there too?

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭dubsgirl

No it's Cuala...

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

Yes, these kind of letters have been sent before, but never before have they mentioned any fines in the letters.

The letter has been sent to all and everyone in the wood, so not just to the ones with satellite dishes. (Our house being one without a dish)

It mentioned in the letter that they would be in contact with all affected parties within two weeks, so I suppose the people with dishes will just have to sit tight and see what will happen.

Btw... it did mention in the letter that they could not stop anyone from having a dish within their property, which is something that I got slightly confused by. Do they want people to have the dishes inside the window? Or is it just that they want people to have them out of sight from the roads, ie below the back garden fence heights?

Sounds like there will be a lot of hullabaloo with regards to this in the days/weeks to come...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 katek

got one of those letters today also. No date to take them down by given either. Why has this come up now does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 ADK

We got one of these letters about two years ago, as I presume did everyone with a dish up. We actually took ours down because at the time Sky were not doing UTV and channel 4 and that is why we switched to NTL. I also did not like the look of the dish on the front of the house. However, absolutely no-one else did as far as I can see and I don't think there were any repercussions.
    Did anyone hear about these new dishes that can be put on the back of houses in the Wood and angled to face in the correct direction? These could be a solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭LMC

katek wrote: »
    got one of those letters today also. No date to take them down by given either. Why has this come up now does anyone know?

The Court got these last year to everyone and then the WCC letters came to only the people with them telling you to remove them as its against planning etc., then came the solicitors letter threatening to fine, which was big, with a date saying if not taken them down by this date the fine would go up, then a summons - most people have taken them down now or put them on the back of their houses. In a nutshell they (WCC) dug their teeth in and didnt back down. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭In the Woods

Our dish is already on the back of our 2 bed house so it'll be interesting to see if they go after everyone or just those with the dishes on the front of their house. I'm guessing it'll be all or nothing if WYSE pursue it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

I put a query in with one of the committee and he is contacting Derek Reid in Wyse about it.

I also asked if it is only Sky dishes that are being targeted or would they also be pursuing folks with broadband antennae or TV aerials.

I know Sky now have a shared service for apartment buildings where they will approach Mgt. Companies on behalf of residents if enough of them seek to apply for Sky. I wonder if it could be done for blocks of houses too?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 katek

Lots of dishes are on the back wall of the 2 bed houses, including ours and we got our lovely letter today. I am not impressed at all about it and will be interested to know what comes back from the management co..

• Registered Users Posts: 40 postmanpat69

If you in an apartment, techincally they can enforce this, if you are in a free hold house with the dish on the back on the house they can't do anything simply because leggaly they can not come on to your property. Don't quote me on this but this is what friends involved in the legal community have informed me.

Satelite dishes are part of modern society, as long as they are kept to a normal size, the Sky dish being a perfect example, I see no problem with them. If there is a move to the new sky box for each block of houses/apartments which elimated dishes and keeps everyone happy fair enough, but a ban on dishes forcing people to use NTL is not acceptable.

Advertisement