Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Punto mk1 - Clutch repair cost

Options
  • 24-09-2008 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭

The clutch on my Punto 55sx is a hairs breath away from failing. I'm considering doing it myself; it'll be a first time, but Haynes make it look easy enough. At the same time, I'm going to ring one or two places to price repairing it. If its not going to be too expensive I'll fork out.

So I'm asking if anybody has any idea what kind of price I should be paying? Last time I was abroad and my car was put in for repair by my Dad, we seem to have got ripped off (though he disagrees :P).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

I dont htink its a simple dIY joy, unless your a fitter or somehting by trade, you'l need serious tool too,
    Seriously Get a new car MK1 puntos are ticking bombs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Notch000 wrote:
    Seriously Get a new car MK1 puntos are ticking bombs

Tell me about it :rolleyes:. A new car is something that isn't on the cards for me yet, unfortunately.

From what I know its not the most difficult job. Just remove the wheel, get at the gearbox and stick in the new clutch.

Anyone have any idea what kind of price a garage would charge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Notorious wrote: »
    Tell me about it :rolleyes:. A new car is something that isn't on the cards for me yet, unfortunately.

From what I know its not the most difficult job. Just remove the wheel, get at the gearbox and stick in the new clutch.

Anyone have any idea what kind of price a garage would charge?

Around 400 Euro. I wouldn't advise going at this yourself unless you have a friend who is a mechanic and would be happy to talk you through the job and basically oversee what you are doing...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Thanks Darragh29. I've people who can help out, so I wouldn't be going in blind. I'll check out the local garage and see what he says. I thought it'd be in or around the 500e mark, I needed to make sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Notorious wrote: »
    Thanks Darragh29. I've people who can help out, so I wouldn't be going in blind. I'll check out the local garage and see what he says. I thought it'd be in or around the 500e mark, I needed to make sure.

It's handy when you've done a few of them, you'd have it done in an hour or two but you'd need to have seen it done before to be honest. More from a safety perspective, that you have the car & engine supported and small things like that... Also, you'd need to make sure you can collect up the gear oil so it doesn't distroy the Missus's cobble locking, that sort of stuff!

• Advertisement
Advertisement