Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Media] RTE wants to hear from You!

Options
  • 24-09-2008 10:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

RTE TV's flagship current affairs series Prime Time Investigates is
    researching how service providers relate to their customers. The
    programme is looking at a wide range of service providers including
    local government, transport, financial institutions, fixed line and
    mobile phone companies, broadband, health .... the list is as long as
    there are people with stories to tell.

If you have a story you want to share with the programme makers or
    something they should look at you can email them directly at
    consumer.response@rte.ie

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

How about looking at the appropriation and allocation of the TV licence fee?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

+1

I'd be interested in knowing how much of the licence fee is being paid to such luminaries as Pat Kenny.

I'd also be interested in why RTE hasn't gone Free-to-Air like the UK channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

we have a Media Interaction Forum, but i'm just going to leave it here as it is directly relevant to consumer issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭Scootay

[Off Topic but it was asked]RTÉ is going Free to Air next Autumn. There will be 8 digital stations- RTÉ1, RTÉ2, TV3, TG4, RTÉ3 (showing old Irish TV as requested by some TD who was fed up with the daytime offering and wanted repeats of Radharc and the likes for old folks stuck at home during the day), RTÉ1 +1, an Irish film station and Oireachtas TV.[/Off Topic but it was asked]

To the OP.

3 Mobile broadband is a big issue! See the 5,000+ posts in this thread: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055115306

You could also have a look at this thread for people's experiences of various companies: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055199604

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Can we keep this On Topic please,this thread is about 'how service providers relate to their customers' not license fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 RTE

Thanks for the responses so far and hopefully they keep coming.
    You can also get in contact with us through the private message
    section of this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

RTE TV's flagship current affairs series Prime Time Investigates is
    researching how service providers relate to their customers. The
    programme is looking at a wide range of service providers including
    local government, transport, financial institutions, fixed line and
    mobile phone companies, broadband, health .... the list is as long as
    there are people with stories to tell.

That's very broad.

i presume you're just looking for horror stories. I personally had a nightmare with Vodafone, losing letters, payments, forwarding me on to a third party for debt collection.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Three Broadband has numerous issues and has MANY ongoing complaints from its customers, I would imagine the are the ISP with the most complaints currently in Ireland...or atleast the most active user base that complain :)

If yopu want to a big general issue then how about how companys like eircom advertise speeds as upto 3MB but a customer might get only 512K, surely Eircom (and others) should make it more clear what speed the customer will get like in the UK.

FWIW BT in the UK is just like Eircom in Ireland. They just randomly throw out speed numbers from what i've seen. Customer service is quite good though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

SetantaL wrote: »
    That's very broad.

i presume you're just looking for horror stories. I personally had a nightmare with Vodafone, losing letters, payments, forwarding me on to a third party for debt collection.

Ditto Vodafone, one question from me to them, over three hours holding over a total of four phonecalls, and four (completley) different answers, have now just cancelled my direct debit to them and am waiting for the letters to start arriving. Infuriates me having to deal with these people.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

FWIW BT in the UK is just like Eircom in Ireland. They just randomly throw out speed numbers from what i've seen. Customer service is quite good though.

True to a point,
    BT Wholsale who's seperate to that of bt retail (bt.com) offer a checker which ALL ISP's can use and gives a guideline to what a customer can expect from there line, while its not 100% its certainly a decent enough guideline
    its available to anyone from http://www.adslchecker.bt.com/pls/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

It gives results similar to this:
    Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a line rate up to 2Mbps.

Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a potential ADSL Max broadband line rate of 5Mbps up to 8Mbps.

Your exchange is planned to have ADSL WBC by 31st January 2009. Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a potential ADSL WBC broadband line rate of 7Mbps.

The actual ADSL line rate supportable will be determined during the first 10 days of use, after which time the highest stable rate possible will be set.

So from this we know our line can take 2MB fixed and most likely anywhere between 5-8MB on the faster speed, other checker results might show your line can only take 512K on both fixed and the faster ADSL max broadband

Eircom currently have nothing like this available to its customers (both consumers or ISP's), as such they (and BT, UTV etc) sell there broadband as upto 2MB but the consumer will have NO idea of what speed they'll get till it goes live on there line, surely eircom should sell it as upto 2MB and then when the customer calls advise it'll only get 1MB or display this info on the chcker on there website like BT and other ISP's do in the UK.

Certainly something that needs to be addressed in my view in relation to Broadband selling, while the setup in the UK is not perfect is far ahead of whats in Ireland.
    This subject has been covered in the UK with regards to UK ISP's by the UK Media...BBC etc

From a customer service side, Three would be the telco company provider with the biggest issues, they also have major issues with overselling there service which is leading to very slow speeds for its new and exisiting customers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 RTE

Just a reminder ... we are interested in all types of service issues; not exclusively mobile telephony stories or horror stories. Thanks to all who have come back to us so far. Keep them coming and reply privately if you wish to Consumer.Response@rte.ie Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters, please get in contact with the poster via PM or the email address provided. There is no need to go into great detail here in the thread. Give them your stories.

dudara

Advertisement