Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repointing/painting brick

Options
  • 24-09-2008 10:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hello there,

I'm living in a redbrick house from the 1870s - I have exposed walls in the living room after taking the plaster back to the brick.

I was wondering whether I need to repoint or not - if i were to paint over the brickwork would this allow me to bypass repointing? Most of the brickwork is in reasonably good condition - there's no loose bricks but some of the mortar has gone in places.

I've heard that repointing is a bit messy so would rather avoid if possible...

Any advice?

Thanks
    YB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

You should re-point using tradition lime mortar, do not use cement as it will crack. Lime will move with the stone and brick, it will also breath.

Painting the brickwork won't do anything apart from seal the wall. This will prevent dust.It will be extremely difficult to remove the paint in the future.
    It might be possible to seal the brickwork with a clear sealant, to stop dust coming off the mortar. A clear finish on exposed brick might be more attractive.

I assume the wall isn't insulated externally, so the wall will be quite cold in winter. Have you considered dry-lining the wall?

Advertisement