Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

M50 Staying at 100Kph

Options
  • 24-09-2008 10:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭

I heard a nasty little rumour that there are no plans to upgrade the M50 speed limit back to 120Kph when the roadworks are finished. From the toll bridge to Tallaght for the last few months has shown no sign of change although there is now 3 lane. Has anyone else heard this? (I know this is an odd question when the speed limit on some other roads were increased today :pac: ).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

This is hardly news at this stage, given the number of threads already on this matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

I heard the exact same thing over the weekend ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

To be honest, once it is finished, I would be very surprised if it remained at 100kph due to the fact that a large amount of duel carriage ways have just had their speed limits increased & they have been made motorways.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0924/roads.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

I saw a headline on this week's Southside People that people were in uproar that the speed would remain at 100k!! Definitely this is old news. When parts of the completed M50 opened with three lanes in the summer the speed was set at 100km/h and that is the way it will stay and it will be that way all along it, 'urban motorway' or some rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

jim o doom wrote: »
    To be honest, once it is finished, I would be very surprised if it remained at 100kph

Nope, as mentioned before in many threads here, it'll be staying at 100 km/h, due to the fact that the lanes are now narrower, and there's 4 of them (including the entry/exit lane) - increasing the need for lane changing.
    Although a maximum speed of 120km/h was previously allowed on sections of the M50, the NRA said it had been reduced for road safety reasons because of increases in weaving traffic since the introduction of three lanes in either direction on parts of the motorway.

source: http://archives.tcm.ie/irishexaminer/2008/08/20/story70272.asp

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭artvandelay

That was a while ago that was announced alright. Must have missed it.

Think variable speed limits would be the best solution. The way people naturally behave. More Likely to speed at night when the road isn't as busy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I don't see the issue tbh. Because anytime I drove on the m50 I found it difficult to get to 20kph... never mind 120. So I'll gladly sit at 100 thanks

Advertisement