Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Replacing exhaust on a 96 VW Polo

Options
  • 24-09-2008 11:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Yesterday the exhaust on my 96 VW Polo broke. It looks like the back box has disconnected from the pipe. I'm planning on going to England in two weeks time to buy a second hand car and I don't want to waste a lot of money fixing my current VW Polo. I was quoted 95 euro to get a new exhaust fitted, but someone here at my work suggested getting a second hand exhaust from a scrap yard. I'm handy enough when it comes to DIY etc. I've competed all of the services on the Polo over the last few years and shouldn't have too much trouble replacing it myself. My problem is time.

So I have three questions

1. Does anyone know of a scrap yards where I could pickup a second hand VW Polo exhaust in Cork. I know there is a scrap yard on Forge Hill and a second one up by the Airport, but I don't know their names and hence, can't find their phone numbers.

2. Would I be saving much money doing it myself compared to the 95 euro I was quoted?

3. Would it take a long time to fit a replacing exhaust, I think its just the back box that is broke. I have to get this done either this evening or tomorrow evening as I have to drive to Dublin on Friday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

davemie wrote: »

1. Does anyone know of a scrap yards where I could pickup a second hand VW Polo in Cork. I know there is a scrap yard on Forge Hill and a second one up by the Airport, but I don't know their names and hence, can't find their phone numbers.

2. Would I be saving much money doing it myself compared to the 95 euro I was quoted?

3. Would it take a long time to fit a replacing exhaust, I think its just the back box that is broke. I have to get this done either this evening or tomorrow evening as I have to drive to Dublin on Friday.

1. You don't want the whole car, just the exhaust. If that's the way you want to go just ring 11890 and ask for scrap yards in Cork.
    2. Chances are the 2nd hand one will be in no better condition that you're own. So its a very short-term solution.
    3. If its just the back box it shouldn't be that big a deal. I've only done a clio, not a polo, but it was just a case of sliding on the clamp, fitting the replacement box onto the pipe, tightening the clamp and making sure the rubbers were all in place.

You might want to check your rubbers before buying the back box. They could've fallen off when the box broke.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭davemie

ShayK1 wrote: »
    1. You don't want the whole car, just the exhaust. If that's the way you want to go just ring 11890 and ask for scrap yards in Cork.

Cheers, I've updated my post :-)

Advertisement