Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving house and Broadband speeds

Options
  • 24-09-2008 11:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭

Hi.I use eircom broadband and am moving house shortly but need at least the same strength connection. I am a total techno-phobe and don't understand how its measured,or the potential differences between satellite and phone-line. The guy that runs this company assures me that his connection is at least as strong or stronger, I think he said. http://www.echoit.ie/broadband.php
    Can any one offer any advise or assistance.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Where are you moving to? Do you have a phone number for the new house? There are a lot of dodgy wireless providers out there. I'm not saying echo IT are one but I'm not saying they aren't. I'd never heard of them until now, that's not to say they're bad.

Personally, I'd always go with a wired option first. Cable or telephone. If that isn't an option, try Digiweb metro. Failing that, what ever is available. I would make a small wireless operator my last choice, solely because of some horror stories I've read here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

well..he would tell you that...
    What you need to know is the following?
    What is your download limit?
    What is your ping response time?
    What is your contention ratio?

Eircom's is 30GB for the 3meg package.
    Ping is abouut 25ms to irish sites.
    Contention is 24-1 but it's really 1 to 1 as not everyone is on the exchange.

Not endorsing eircom here as I hate the bastards..but their broadband is a very good product and extremely stable..
    No outsider is honestly going to map this..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

edited title to make it more clear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Can you not get eircom broadband in the place you're moving too?

Satellite is NOT broadband, so if that's what Echo IT are offering, then it's going to be a world away from what you have now. There doesn't seem to be much detail on their website as to what tech they use.

When you say "strength", I assume you mean speed. You'll need to find out what contention is on the network, this will tell you how low the speeds could potentially be. If ping is important (for online gaming and VOIP) then a satellite connection is not going to be very good, if even usable.

Some wireless ISPs are as good as fixed line, others are woeful. It depends on what their backhaul connection is like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭ramtha

Thanks for the responses.Much appreciated. I was moving to portroe,which is 10 or 15 miles from nenagh.Eircom don't do broadband there but there is a phoneline in the property. I will need it for a form of online trading so i guess thats similar to online gaming.Live feeds etc..

I really am going crazy trying to find a suitable property.It needs to be rural with a good connection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

ramtha wrote: »
    Thanks for the responses.Much appreciated. I was moving to portroe,which is 10 or 15 miles from nenagh.Eircom don't do broadband there but there is a phoneline in the property. I will need it for a form of online trading so i guess thats similar to online gaming.Live feeds etc..

I really am going crazy trying to find a suitable property.It needs to be rural with a good connection.
    Best way then is to log onto the major sites such as Digiweb/Eircom/ICE etc and see what rural towns are supported.

Cheers for the advice.Its a wireless setup but he sayes he'll let me try it in the house before we sign anything and has a banker that uses it for some kind of trading on the same connection.So he's either an elaborate b-ull****ter or I'm sorted ! Time will tell. Thanks again.

Sorry for all the questions! The other house fell through as it was a bit of a kip. I have known about one available in castlegregory for a while but wasn't 100% about moving down there. Its becoming more interesting now though. The house is already connected to Permanet Broadband which I think is a satellite service but don't really know.http://www.permanet.ie/index.htm
    Does anyone know anything about them or their service? tia.

Advertisement