Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Wife stopped for speeding - but I have a query

Options
  • 24-09-2008 12:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

After years of listening to my wife criticising my driving (even though I'm accident free for 18 years and have no penalty points) she was stopped for speeding last Sunday week. She was doing 86kph coming from a 80kph zone into a 60kph zone that shortly thereafter reduces to a 50kph. The cop that stopped her gave her a fine and sent her on her way. When she got home she was absolutely fuming and my laughing at her didn't help. She just couldn't accept the fact that she was caught fair and square and when I also told her that she'd be getting 2 points on her licence, she lost the plot completely and I ended up in stitches at her ranting (she's normally so cool and calm).

Anyways the question is this - the cop never mentioned that she'd be getting the 2 points and he never showed her the speed that she was doing on his radar gun thingy which I'm fairly sure he is obliged to. So could she dispute this in court or would it come down to her word versus the cop's word and I'm sure I know who the Judge would believe.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

I think it is best practice only to show the speed and inform the driver of the offence and fine and penalty points. Don't think there is any obligation under law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Ask her did he have his hat on! :):):)

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Ask her did he have his hat on!
    doesn't make a blind bit of difference

ah caught out again

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

much more important ...

buy some flowers and apologise for laughing at her :D

After years of listening to my wife criticising my driving (even though I'm accident free for 18 years and have no penalty points) she was stopped for speeding last Sunday week. she lost the plot completely and I ended up in stitches at her ranting

Isn't it great though :D
    Mine always criticised me for stopping at an early amber - she always shoes through. My dirty pleasure was her getting done for it six weeks ago :D

• Advertisement

TheNog wrote: »
    doesn't make a blind bit of difference

I thought I wouldn't need to put in smilies, now I see I am wrong I'll amend the post!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

/ sits back and waits for the standard boards response to this question, ie "she did the crime now take the points and stop moaning about it... " /

Gandalf23 wrote: »
    / sits back and waits for the standard boards response to this question, ie "she did the crime now take the points and stop moaning about it... " /

86 in a 60 is a bit quick............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Gandalf23

Serves us right for letting wimmins drive in the first place!!!

Right lads?

Lads?

/ runs for the hills... /

Gandalf23 wrote: »
    Serves us right for letting wimmins drive in the first place!!!

Right lads?

Lads?

/ runs for the hills... /

Sorry Gandalf, no one here but us chickens!

Cluck cluck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

Take the points and fine, as it will only be worse if you take it to court. Never seen anyone win a traffic offence case in the District Court. Brining up minor technicalities in court will only annoy the justice and make him / her more likely to give the maximum penalty possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

Sorry for the off topic post but if they don't give you a ticket after stopping you can you assume they have left you off with a warning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Ask her did he have his hat on! :):):)

Beat me to it :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

alexmcred wrote: »
    Sorry for the off topic post but if they don't give you a ticket after stopping you can you assume they have left you off with a warning?
    You get the fine in the post.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

After years of listening to my wife criticising my driving (even though I'm accident free for 18 years and have no penalty points) she was stopped for speeding last Sunday week. She was doing 86kph coming from a 80kph zone into a 60kph zone that shortly thereafter reduces to a 50kph. The cop that stopped her gave her a fine and sent her on her way. When she got home she was absolutely fuming and my laughing at her didn't help. She just couldn't accept the fact that she was caught fair and square and when I also told her that she'd be getting 2 points on her licence, she lost the plot completely and I ended up in stitches at her ranting (she's normally so cool and calm).

Anyways the question is this - the cop never mentioned that she'd be getting the 2 points and he never showed her the speed that she was doing on his radar gun thingy which I'm fairly sure he is obliged to. So could she dispute this in court or would it come down to her word versus the cop's word and I'm sure I know who the Judge would believe.

She is lucky (ur unlucky!), that she even had a converation with the Garda. usually the fine & 2 penalty points come in the post and most people don't even know they've been done when they are caught!

my missus has stopped giving out to me about my driving after she got 1 speeding fine, 1 littering and 3 parking tickets!!!! granted the 3 parking tickets were my fault but i was driving her car so it doesnt count especially seeing that i blamed her for them!! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

littering?

i've had a speeding thing thrown out of court. dont know how, the solicitor did it.

zuroph wrote: »
    littering?

i've had a speeding thing thrown out of court. dont know how, the solicitor did it.
    yeah she threw a cigarette butt out the window with a patrol car behind her. It was probably the first time she ever did it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

ouch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭RAFC

How come it's always the Guards fault when people get caught - hubby stopped doing 77 in 50 zone - but it WASN'T HIS FAULT :D:D:D - 'the limit is too low for such a good road' :):) He was in such bad form afterwards I couldn't even laugh out loud :D:D so I did it very quietly

Fine came in post along with a letter stating he would now have 2 points on his licence but the wrong name was on the letter - he paid the fine in the hopes that they get the points wrong too :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

TheNog wrote: »
    yeah she threw a cigarette butt out the window with a patrol car behind her. It was probably the first time she ever did it

God I hate when people do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

I agree that she "did the crime and now must pay the fine" but at the time, her ranting was soooo funny as she's normally got the moral high ground on everything so I had to take my moment in the sun and have a laugh at her expense.

Funny thing is, she used to be an overly cautious driver (when she drove 205's, Clio's etc) but since she got the people carrier, she's become a bit more aggressive/speedy for my liking while driving. What is it with people who drive these tall cars, i.e. MPV's Jeeps etc?

So I guess there's no point in trying to dispute the fine in court and running the risk of getting 4 points and a larger fine. In her defence though, while she was doing 86 in a 60kph zone, the limit reduces from 80 down to 60 and onto 50kph in the space of 200 metres which is a bit tight IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

In her defence though, while she was doing 86 in a 60kph zone, the limit reduces from 80 down to 60 and onto 50kph in the space of 200 metres which is a bit tight IMO.

Now while I agree that slamming on the brakes as soon as you enter a lower speed limit zone is more dangerous than slowing down steadily, that defence would only apply if she was doing under 80 when she was caught.

Stark wrote: »
    God I hate when people do that.

so does she. never did it before and hasn't since. she said she was not paying attention to what she was doing at the time (thinking of other things). Anyway she has learned not to litter and to be more aware of her surroundings as well.
    Funny thing is, she used to be an overly cautious driver (when she drove 205's, Clio's etc) but since she got the people carrier, she's become a bit more aggressive/speedy for my liking while driving. What is it with people who drive these tall cars, i.e. MPV's Jeeps etc?

It maybe cos people who drive jeeps and large people carriers are elevated from the rest of us. Includes some van drivers too!!!!!

RAFC wrote: »
    Fine came in post along with a letter stating he would now have 2 points on his licence but the wrong name was on the letter - he paid the fine in the hopes that they get the points wrong too :D:D:D

don;t think it will make a difference if the name is slightly wrong. When he went to pay the fine he would have had to enter his licence number on the form.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

Had to go to court with my missus on tuesday as the speeding fine went to her old address (parents) and her Mam lost it so she was summoned to court with the possibility of 4 points and a fine. Thing is, the Garda happened to be sick and all the people who turned up had their cases struck out! There were about 100 names on the list and about ten people actuallye attended it. Does that mean the rest will have to go to court again? I got two points for speeding in the exact place my wife got hers (before we knew, obviously :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

RAFC wrote: »
    How come it's always the Guards fault when people get caught - hubby stopped doing 77 in 50 zone - but it WASN'T HIS FAULT :D:D:D - 'the limit is too low for such a good road' :):) He was in such bad form afterwards I couldn't even laugh out loud :D:D so I did it very quietly

He shouldn't have paid a penny and ignored everything and let it go to court. It would be thrown out with the wrong name.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

sweetie wrote: »
    There were about 100 names on the list and about ten people actuallye attended it. Does that mean the rest will have to go to court again?
    Typically - yes. If they weren't in court to defend themselves, and the Garda wasn't in court to prosecute, then the case is still open and will be postponed to a later sitting of the court. Just proves that its in peoples own interests to attend when they're summoned.

Oh and to the poster further up the thread who's never seen a speeding fine thrown out of court - I've had 3 dismissed in the past 18 months ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭RAFC

He shouldn't have paid a penny and ignored everything and let it go to court. It would be thrown out with the wrong name.

Did suggest that to him - he was too afraid of the points being doubled if he ignored it :).

Poor pet, serves him right, listening to him for years bragging that he passed his test first go while I took 3 tests , BUT I never got stopped for speeding HA :cool::cool::cool::cool: (is it very obvious that I'm still enjoying this :))

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

For those who've had speeding tickets, how long does it normally take to come in the post? I got caught at 122 in a 100 on the June bank holiday Sunday. Garda took my licence, went to the patrol car, then came back and gave me the licence and told me "That'll be in the post". I assumed "That" would be an €80 fine and 2 points, but I haven't received a thing yet.

It's almost 17 weeks now. Anyone know if there is a limitation on these?

Advertisement