Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Wife stopped for speeding - but I have a query

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

i thought it was 90 days...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Someone told me the same, but I wasn't sure, and can't find any information on it. I don't know the Garda's name, or even what station he was from, not that I'd go trying to contact them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭Top Dog

jor el wrote: »
    For those who've had speeding tickets, how long does it normally take to come in the post?
    Don't mean to sound smart - but how long is a piece of string? In my own expierence the enforcement of fines is nothing even closely resembling consistent. I got caught once and had the fine in the letterbox within 5 working days. Got caught another time and it was nearly 4 months (to the point where I'd completly forgotten about having been stopped in the first place). :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

Same thing happened to my wife about 1 month ago, she was doing 70KPH ish
    in a 50kph zone, a big wide road just outside a school on a sunday long weekend.

i travel this road myself everyday and if i drive at 50KPH i get peeped off the road by everyone.

Anyway, she has excepted that she was in the wrong and paid the fine and 2 points.

Now here's the interesting point, My insurance has gone up by 50 euro ish because shes on my policy! nice one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

He shouldn't have paid a penny and ignored everything and let it go to court. It would be thrown out with the wrong name.
    ohhh, careful about that one lads. I was in court reciently and I was watching the guys trying to get off with a wrong letter in the name or the incorrect spelling of a name. It didn't work. At all.
    The first thing the judge said was that this error can now be corrected right here in the court. He asked the defendant to identify himself and as soon as he declared who he was, the mistake was amended and the case moved on. Much to the dismay of the defendant (one guy didn't bother to show up and sent his dad, hillarious, the judge had a field day), as soon as the clerk of the court had the name amended, there was no chance of of getting away with it. i think it just pis*es the judge off. And some of those guys have good and very bad days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

cashmni1 wrote: »
    ohhh, careful about that one lads. I was in court reciently and I was watching the guys trying to get off with a wrong letter in the name or the incorrect spelling of a name. It didn't work. At all.

It think that if the name on the fine/summons is wrong, then you shouldn't turn up to court at all, as turning up is effectively an admission that you are the person named. Easy to see how a judge could go crazy over that, and you could end up with 4 points and a bigger fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭biologikal

I was stopped a couple of years back, the ticket I was handed had the wrong date on it, so I wrote a letter to the station super informing him that I had witnesses that would testify that I was about 100km away from the time and place on the ticket, and that by paying the fine, I could be putting myself in the location of a serious crime, and duly refused to pay. I also said that (in a roundabout way, and much more elegantly), that if the Garda was stupid enough to put the incorrect date on the ticket, how could we verify that he would be able to operate a peice of scientific equipment. I remember in the press at the time, there was all that business with that judge Curtin, so it was a bit of me thinking, well, you'd think they'd have learned their lesson, and get it right, something as simple as a date. Sneaky cop waited until after the second time period (60 days, I think) to send a letter, informing me that they wouldn't persue it any further. Still have the letter!

Anyway, got my cumuppance a couple of weeks ago, waiting for the fine and points to drop in the letterbox. Seems a long time to have to wait. Are they all processed somewhere, and issued every couple of weeks?

I presume the 30 days is from the date of issue. What about the points - do they expire 3 years from the date of the offence?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

biologikal wrote: »
    What about the points - do they expire 3 years from the date of the offence?
    Even better - 3 years from when they're applied...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

yeah which can be a few weeks months after the incident

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

guil07 wrote: »
    yeah which can be a few weeks months after the incident
    exactly my point - they punish you for something that you don't even remember doing....
    Really effective at improving road safety.
    /sarcasm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

heres a good one for ya, i was stopped in june headin in to blessington on the dublin road, guard asked for licence and whatever and let me on

a few weeks later got a fine in the post for bein parked on double yellow lines,even though there was none around where i was stopped, i rang the guard and he said just write a letter statin that it was a mistake and give that and the fine into the super in baltinglass, he said the super would ring him and then it would be cancelled

got a letter a few days later sayin they were investigatin it

Advertisement