Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Swan put down after babaric incident

• 24-09-2008 12:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭

This kind of thing just makes my blood boil. From today's Irish Times
    A YOUNG swan has had to be put down after his bill was destroyed when a firework deliberately inserted into bread given to him in a Dublin park exploded.

The “barbaric” incident occurred in the Stardust Memorial Park in Coolock, the Dublin Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals said yesterday.

Orla Aungier of the society said it was alerted by a member of the public on Monday night that a swan in the park had an injured beak.

A DSPCA inspector went to the scene alone but, while he could see the swan on the water, darkness meant he was unable to assess the extent of the injuries, she said. The inspector was advised by people in the park it was unsafe for him to work alone there and he left.

When Insp Liam Kinsella went to the scene yesterday morning, he found the injuries inflicted on the 18-month-old bird were consistent with a firework and so “horrific” they could not be repaired and the bird was unable to feed. The swan was taken to the DSPCA centre in Rathfarnham and humanely put down by a vet there.

Insp Kinsella said swans are “defenceless creatures” who give much pleasure to many people. “To see them hurt like this has made me sick.”

Ms Aungier said the bird had severe injuries to his bill. The bottom portion had been blown away, the top bill was separated and the tongue was shredded. This was a “barbaric” act but not the first attack on swans, she said. Dogs had been set upon the birds in previous incidents.

A number of people at the scene had said a firework was put into bread and given to the swan and subsequently exploded, she said. “The memorial park should be a gentle peaceful place but unfortunately that is not the case.’’

She said members of the public at the scene were too fearful to disclose who was responsible for the attack but local youths were suspected. Anyone with information about the incident can contact the DSPCA or Coolock Garda station.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

SWAN PUT TO SLEEP AFTER BARBARIC ATTACK

In respect of our rules re. zero tolerance on bad language here I've similar thread posted in AFTER HOURS for those of us who'd wish to express our disgust in a strong way.

When I heard this on the radio this morning I was sick with rage and lost of words.

Then to hear the description from the DSPCA on Gerry Ryan's show this morning, my god is there any once of decency in some people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

The people who done, or stood by as this was done are sick cowards, i hope they get there just rewards.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

No Mairt and sadly this is just the beginning of the cruelty to animals with fireworks season.
    I am hoping to get as many articles in the papers over the next while about keeping your pets safe over Hallowe'en but my god even defenceless wildlife isn't safe.
    Sickening to the core and if I teamed up with you the anger from the both of us might be very dangerous if I ever found out who did this.

What is wrong with them - as an aside I have read that many seriel ( spelling ) killers were animal abusers too.
    What kind of people will these kids grow up to be :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

It sickens me that in the 21st Century there are still sadists out there who get their kicks doing things like this.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Wouldnt mind making one of them fookers swallow a firework.

This crap makes me sick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

cowzerp wrote: »
    The people who done, or stood by as this was done are sick cowards, i hope they get there just rewards.

It makes me wonder what is going on in that park to say that the inspector was told not to be there alone and that secondly no one would come forward with the identity of the perpetrator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

I love halloween,but every year lil ****ers taint it with this crap. Hope whoever did this gets bits of em blown off playing with fireworks...Or eaten by swans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

I really hope someone is brave enough to dob these bastards in .... they deserve to rot in prison.

If there was ever a reason to spay and neuter humans, this is it.

I can just imagine the scene, and the dirty shower of scumbags breaking their hearts laughing at the Swan's agony.

I passed by the park this morning and stopped to look at the rest of the swans, I dread to think of their faith.

And this act, done in a park dedicated to the memory of all those people killed in the Stardust fire - I don't know, I'm just lost for words.

Nerin wrote: »
    I love halloween,but every year lil ****ers taint it with this crap. Hope whoever did this gets bits of em blown off playing with fireworks...Or eaten by swans.

Brilliant, I was going to steal that line for the post in AH but I'll leave that one to you.

"Eaten by Swans" - Fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Mairt wrote: »
    Brilliant, I was going to steal that line for the post in AH but I'll leave that one to you.

"Eaten by Swans" - Fantastic.

^_^ feel free to take it. I hate this crap at halloween though,theres one estate here that is seriously dodge,and theres always dogs or cats hurt or killed. Why can't the scumbags torture eachother! Same thing with bonfires,we were discussing this over in paganism,it gets ruined by scummers doing bold things. I used to like fireworks at halloween,the big flashy ones in the sky,but we have a dog thats gunshy,so we dont get them anymore. Bangers and screamers are the worst though,we have to medicate him and keep him inside halloween night. All you hear down this way is bangers. Started last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

Hmmmm wondering if they have CCTV around the park.
    I try not to dwell on it as it would haunt me.

I remember years ago the Adrian Kennedy phone show had a thing on about animal cruelty and one lad rang up and admitted to some awful stuff - I had it in my head for months -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

SuzyS1972 wrote: »
    Hmmmm wondering if they have CCTV around the park.
    I try not to dwell on it as it would haunt me.

I remember years ago the Adrian Kennedy phone show had a thing on about animal cruelty and one lad rang up and admitted to some awful stuff - I had it in my head for months -

I don't blame you - it's nice to float around in an idealistic world, but sometimes things like this bring you crashing back to reality.

It's sick - pure evil. Things like this make you loose faith in mankind ....

I'd like to see this park Patrolled for the halloween season ... better still, I'd like to ban halloween. Between cruelty to animals, fireworks in doors of the elderly, kids throwing stones at the police and fire brigades ... it's a horrible time of year.

Glowing wrote: »
    II'd like to see this park Patrolled for the halloween season ...

Seriously you don't know the area, no man could be asked to patrol this place no matter what time of day or night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Mairt wrote: »
    Seriously you don't know the area, no man could be asked to patrol this place no matter what time of day or night.

I dont live in coolock anymore but if i did i'd make it my business to find out who done it to pay them a friendly visit, i hope some people from around there who know who did it do, there is plenty of good people from that area who would be ashamed by this.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

cowzerp wrote: »
    I dont live in coolock anymore but if i did i'd make it my business to find out who done it to pay them a friendly visit, i hope some people from around there who know who did it do, there is plenty of good people from that area who would be ashamed by this.

Paul, I know. But unfortunetly those good people are finding more and more these days that they're locking thmselves away from a very dangerous society.

They (we) fee safe behind closed doors and its easier to pretend the worlds not such a dangerous place after all, most of us are guilty of it to some point.

Even me!. Right now I'm tempted to drive down to the park, its a five minute drive from here, and take some photos of the remaining four swans and the ducks. But I'm truely worried that my car would be damaged or broken into.

I'm not worried for my own personal safety, but can you imagine how the good people of Coolock feel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭BeansMeansHynes

Oh my god that is just horrible!!! :(

I know two wrongs don't make a right but I know what I would do with little S**** that did that to the swan.

There really has to be something wrong with human beings whether they are 15 or 50 that inflict pain on innocent defenseless animals and get a kick out of it.

I hate when it Halloween comes around every year and there are horrible pics plastered over the tabloids of animals that were hurt and killed over Halloween.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭jenpup

I hate Halloween and this is why.

I can't believe anyone would be so sick, it's just awful.

That poor swan, I just turned round to the person behind me to tell them about it and I had to stop cos I was going to cry.

I feel sick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

It's not just your social reprobates that are up to this. A few weeks ago I was driving through Portmarnock village in Dublin. As is often, two ducks (a drake and his mate) were trying to cross the road and the traffic was stopped going in to the village.

There was a woman in a people carrier coming out of the village trying to drive around them instead of just waiting for them to cross. I could see her craning her neck to see where they were.

Eventually with a gesture of exasperation, she just put the boot down. Her back wheels ran over the female ducks leg and wing. She sped off in to the distance, obviously in a massive rush to get her kids to soccer or dance class.

I took the bird to the vet, nothing he could do, so it was put down. (The poor drake was quacking at me like nuts, hope he finds another mate!)

I can understand a hunter bagging a few ducks for sport or for dinner. An impatient yummy mummy with a car full of kids running over a duck and leaving it injured for the sake of about 25 seconds is another thing.

I took a pic of the duck, will post it up later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭~Thalia~

This kind of thing just makes me so sad. The capacity that some "humans" have for cruelty to defenceless creatures is just astounding.

I think it should be legeal to shoot sh*ts like this on site :mad: However un pc that opinion is.

And lighteneing thats a terrible story about the lady with the ducks...and imagine what message it sends out to the little kiddies in the car?

Halloween is a horrid time for any stray or wild animals. I'm sickened by the things that are done to them. I remember reading in a local limerick paper years ago where some scumbags were throwing dogs off over road bridges as trucks were coming underneath them. I can't express enough my absolute HATRED for people like this and I don't buy the bleeding liberal bullsh*t that they are deprived and they don't know right from wrong and they need help etc....:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Trojan911

Very sickening indeed. I can only imagine the pain & confusion the swan was suffering throughout the night.

I hope witnesses will go forward & report this to the Gardai.

lightening wrote: »
    It's not just your social reprobates that are up to this. A few weeks ago I was driving through Portmarnock village in Dublin. As is often, two ducks (a drake and his mate) were trying to cross the road and the traffic was stopped going in to the village.

There was a woman in a people carrier coming out of the village trying to drive around them instead of just waiting for them to cross. I could see her craning her neck to see where they were.

Eventually with a gesture of exasperation, she just put the boot down. Her back wheels ran over the female ducks leg and wing. She sped off in to the distance, obviously in a massive rush to get her kids to soccer or dance class.

I took the bird to the vet, nothing he could do, so it was put down. (The poor drake was quacking at me like nuts, hope he finds another mate!)

I can understand a hunter bagging a few ducks for sport or for dinner. An impatient yummy mummy with a car full of kids running over a duck and leaving it injured for the sake of about 25 seconds is another thing.

Sweet Jesus.

I think I'd have drove after the woman and handed the duck straight into her.

Unreal, absolutely disgusting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Does anyone know what ever happened to swans fear of man.

Nearly all swans I have ever come across seem semi domesticated, have never understood why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Ignorant, horrible people is the best way to describe them without being censored. How can someone not be bothered in their own mind after committing such an act?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

That's absolutely disgusting.
    I love swans. I know they don't have the kindest reputation, but I think they're one of the most beautiful and elegant animals. I'm lucky enough to live on a river that has many Canadian geese, and until recently, one swan. Whenever I walk along the river, I always look for the swan. It stands out so majestically from the geese. Yesterday on my walk, I saw something wonderful - four swans! It really made my whole evening.
    So coming here and reading this story makes me very sad and angry. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

They are such beautiful creatures , l used to go to the Estuary past swords to feed the swan's and the beauty of seeing them all glide across the water when they saw me coming with the bread. They were so trusting.
    l'm afraid there is no beauty about my feelings for the scum of the earth who did this. Were l to meet them l
    know l would be locked up for my actions.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

People are sick fireworks should be banned .The poor swan and the woman that ran the duck over will have no luck nor will the yobs who did that to the swan im so sad these terrible things are getting worst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

lightening wrote: »

Hi lightening,
    Did you manage to get the licence plate of this woman?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Vegeta wrote: »
    Does anyone know what ever happened to swans fear of man.

Nearly all swans I have ever come across seem semi domesticated, have never understood why?

I think it's more man's fear of swans.
    Best left alone. Majestic creatures but they'd take the eye out of your head if you threatened them.

Or at least I was always told this as a young lad and I've no reason to think different. I've seen our sheepdog go over to a swan. The dog came off second-best!

I love the ducks in Portmanock and seeing families feeding them on Sunday. I stop to watch if I'm out for a Sunday morning cycle. Jaysus, fatally injuring a duck to save a few seconds. She deserves to be run over herself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

Glowing wrote: »
    I don't blame you - it's nice to float around in an idealistic world, but sometimes things like this bring you crashing back to reality.

It's sick - pure evil. Things like this make you loose faith in mankind ....

I'd like to see this park Patrolled for the halloween season ... better still, I'd like to ban halloween. Between cruelty to animals, fireworks in doors of the elderly, kids throwing stones at the police and fire brigades ... it's a horrible time of year.

Seconded! As an owner of several animals I dread this time of year and am constantly worried about the welfare of animals in the area and what might happen to them because some sicko thinks it's funny.

The story of the swan is absolutely heartbreaking. I also heard on the Gerry Ryan Show that when baby ducks are crossing the park with the mama some individuals think it is fun to volley the babies back and forth to each other like balls. Seriously, what is with these people??????

I really hope the "people" (use that term loosely) responsible for this act are reported and punished... fireworks in every orifice seems fair to me.

Advertisement