Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swan put down after babaric incident

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

bnagrrl wrote: »
    Hi lightening,
    Did you manage to get the licence plate of this woman?

No, just that it was a G reg.

Agree about Halloween, I don't know if it brings out the scum in normal people or the scum out of every hole. Seems to bring a license to litter, vandalise, harass, burn, illegally set off fireworks for a whole month, and torture animals. I had a fella throw a banger at my elderly gentle man dog in the front garden two years ago and I would consider where I live fairly respectable. The cops hate it, the firemen hate it, the ambulance men hate it and most people over 25 hate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

micmclo wrote: »
    I think it's more man's fear of swans.
    Best left alone. Majestic creatures but they'd take the eye out of your head if you threatened them.

Or at least I was always told this as a young lad and I've no reason to think different.

Well they just don't seem to react the same as practically every other bird species I know. Even geese who are not a million miles off the size of a swan are very cautious in the wild and will fly at the first sign of man.

I have always wondered this about them

Vegeta wrote: »
    I have always wondered this about them

I guess they have been admired and fed by us for years. They have just got used to it.

I have been attacked a good few times on canoe trips, they are scary, but pretty harmless, they hiss like snakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

There were pictures of the injured swan on the Irish Independent site. They're fairly graphic and disturbing, so don't go looking if you're of a genteel nature. I actually cried when looking at them - the thought of that level of crueltly being inflicted for fun is just horrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭padimus

I wish this kind of thing was rare but I know we are going to hear many more stories like this in the next month or so.

I seriously think the kids who did this should be given a good kicking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

It's sad to think that these people will get away with this not only are people who seen them do this afraid of them but if they are caught they'll just get a slap on the wrist for it. Were are the parents of these children they should be prosecuted as well, I know were my two are at all times and what they get up to, I don't hold with this business of you can't keep an eye on them 24/7 - I am constantly up to my eye balls with work or house work or looking after my animals or out on a rescue and I make sure who ever is in charge of them when I'm not there knows were they are and what there at. I demand a full run down of what they were at for the day so I can stop any bad behaver before it becomes a problem. I don't see why other parents can't do the same.

That poor swan was to young and with out experience to realise it was in danger and these ******** were just waiting to get at it, they should be strung up.

I love Halloween but I would not bat an eye lid if it was stopped from being celebrated if only to stop the abuse which is inflicted on these poor animals by monsters, I'm sure like a lot of you's here you's will be left to deal with the consequences of this behaver, over the years I have had many kittens brought into me left with out mothers and dogs without tails. But how do we stop a celebration that brings so much destruction with out ruining it for everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Hendrix89

Why is it that people almost ALWAYS get away with cruelty towards animals... I think it's outrageous. If this was a human that had his/her face blown off by a bunch of dirty knackers, the perpetrators would have been tracked down and arrested in no time.. No matter how scarce the evidence..

It seems to me that crimes towards animals are simply treated like nothing. They are briefly investigated and then left without bringing justice..

Why not a life sentence for needlessly murdering an animal? What makes them below us?...

Personally I'd love to cause endless pain to these evil scumbags.. but of course in reality they will get away with it scott free as usual and continue torturing animals for as long as they live. What a world we live in..

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Hendrix89 wrote: »
    Why is it that people almost ALWAYS get away with cruelty towards animals... I think it's outrageous. If this was a human that had his/her face blown off by a bunch of dirty knackers, the perpetrators would have been tracked down and arrested in no time.. No matter how scarce the evidence..

It seems to me that crimes towards animals are simply treated like nothing. They are briefly investigated and then left without bringing justice..

Why not a life sentence for needlessly murdering an animal? What makes them below us?...

Personally I'd love to cause endless pain to these evil scumbags.. but of course in reality they will get away with it scott free as usual and continue torturing animals for as long as they live. What a world we live in..

Live and Let Die springs to mind where animals are concerned tbh.
    Apart from the posters here and the rest of us animal lovers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I spent some time down in the park with the swan's yesterday and today.

When your there its hard to imagine the scene of barbarity which unfolded and while I took some photos a horrible thought crossed my mind..

Maybe these scumbags even recorded their attack on mobil phones and are having a great laugh about it with their mates.

Here's a photo of two of the swans.

Stardustswans.jpg

Duck.jpg

Quack! There you go, vet had to put it down... Don't get me wrong, I like mallard and have eaten it often. Just don't like to see the animal suffer unnecessarily.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

lightening wrote: »
    Duck.jpg

Quack! There you go, vet had to put it down... Don't get me wrong, I like mallard and have eaten it often. Just don't like to see the animal suffer unnecessarily.

Its incredible that someone could do that, incredible and very disturbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Bodes well for that woman's own kids, her nurturing instinct, eh?

Advertisement