Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Dunne's Tower in Dublin 4

Options
  • 24-09-2008 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭

I note there is much debate at the moment about planning permission for a monstrous tower block that property tycoon wants to build on the Jury's Hotel site in Ballsbridge.

Local residents (not all of them multimillionaires) are objecting to the impact it will have on the area. I will not bore you all here with the pros and cons, but just consider one small aspect.

This is intended to be the tallest building in Dublin and they want to put it right beside the AMerican Embassy!!!!!

So if somebody, say, wanted to fly an aeroplane full of fuel at the US presence (it has been known to happen) this place would either be right in the middle of the flight path or alternatively, just in the overflight area should the kamikaze's aim be just a teensy bit off.

Would anybody here care to occupy a high-rise office near such an obvious target?

Lack of joined up thinking, methinks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

are you ****ing serious?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

tba wrote: »
    are you ****ing serious?
    Of course he isn't!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I think if you look at a lot of other european capitals, where there are also american embassys, this building is not really that big. It's big for Dublin, but dublin has a pretty low skyline.

I think Mr Dunne must be crapping himself at the moment. He paid a lot of money for that land and even if he does get planning permission, I would be very surprised if he can make a profit out of it. The fact the hotels have all reopened is a pretty good indication of his short term intentions.

I still find it hard to believe that in a country as sparsely populated as this, there is actually a need to build 37 storey buildings though and if there are, this is not the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

I hope this goes ahead. We need a few skyscrapers in Dublin. Skyline is so boring right now compared to other cities.

I hope this goes ahead. We need a few skyscrapers in Dublin. Skyline is so boring right now compared to other cities.

there are a few in the pipeline I believe, but along the quays or in the Docks area.

from what I can gather, the main reason this has to be 37 storeys is to fuel someones ego in a phallic sort of way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

They knew they'd never get 37.
    If they ask for 37 they get something lower.
    If they ask for 25 then get 15, if they ask for 20 they get 10 as an example

I'd love to see it built :)

micmclo wrote: »
    They knew they'd never get 37.
    If they ask for 37 they get something lower.
    If they ask for 25 then get 15, if they ask for 20 they get 10 as an example

I'd love to see it built :)

i think it is in the wrong place personally. The U2 tower in grand canal will be great but something that big in a largely residential area is too much I think.

I work just off London Wall, so from my office I can see Tower 42, the gherkin, City point and the broadgate tower. We also have an office in Canada Square which i visit regularly. although these are tiny compared to what you see in new york, there is something impressive about skyscrapers. I had to attend a meeting on the 14th floor of 10 upper Bank street though and I refused to sit near the window so god knows what it is like sitting near a window on the 50th floor.

The U2 tower in grand canal will be great .

Thought the U2 tower got cancelled.
    Credit crunch and the downturn in the building in the industry means they can't get finance for it. I could be wrong.

Just googled it, man it's looks fantastic!
    It's be near the entrace to the port so a real landmark, hope it goes ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

If anyone is looking for a serious debate on the subject, or any high density in Dublin you'd be better off popping over here.

http://www.archiseek.com/content/forumdisplay.php?f=49

The subject matter is probably a little too much for some of the posters who frequent this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

i think it is in the wrong place personally. The U2 tower in grand canal will be great but something that big in a largely residential area is too much I think.

I work just off London Wall, so from my office I can see Tower 42, the gherkin, City point and the broadgate tower. We also have an office in Canada Square which i visit regularly. although these are tiny compared to what you see in new york, there is something impressive about skyscrapers. I had to attend a meeting on the 14th floor of 10 upper Bank street though and I refused to sit near the window so god knows what it is like sitting near a window on the 50th floor.

Exactly. You see all the skyscrapers in the main part of the city center. You don't see skyscrapers over in Chelsea.

It's just not appropriate in a leafy suburb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

aphex™ wrote: »
    Exactly. You see all the skyscrapers in the main part of the city center. You don't see skyscrapers over in Chelsea.

It's just not appropriate in a leafy suburb.
    There is currently 25 and 37 story 'sky scrapers' being built in Chelsea on the site of the old Lots Road power station.

Change is not good etc.., etc.., :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

i think it is in the wrong place personally.

Seconded. And thirded.

Seconded. And thirded.

I see your location in your profile

NIMBY :p

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

We need to start building up because lets face it space is running out in the city. But I would say that there should be a specially designated area for high rise in Dublin, somewhere down by the port to keep it away from the main part of the city centre as Dublin is grand the way it is. Last thing I want to see is a 35 story tower at the bottom of Henry street. A tower in ballsbridge is not the right way to go. Just totally out of sync with the surrounding area. The U2 tower looks awful in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

its not completely true that we are running out of space in the city, there are vast tracts of very low density areas very close to the centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

My point is that them areas are grand the way that they are. Dublin has always been a historically low rise city and should be kept that way for the most part. An example is that Madrid city squeeze's about 3 Million into an area the size of Dublin city and its Suburbs with about 90% of the population living in between 8-12 storey towers.

The rate of population growth in Dublin dictates that we must start following suit although my opinion is this area is segragated as anyone who has been to the likes of Madrid or to a lesser extent London can detest that these high-rise are an awful looking eyesore for the most part.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Bluetonic wrote: »
    If anyone is looking for a serious debate on the subject, or any high density in Dublin you'd be better off popping over here.

http://www.archiseek.com/content/forumdisplay.php?f=49

The subject matter is probably a little too much for some of the posters who frequent this forum.

Saucer of milk for table three!

Advertisement