Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Cost - Ripoff?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

el tonto wrote: »
    I think it depends on their humour in their. I've had them refuse to work on a wheel of mine because it wasn't bought there. Yet several days previously they fitted a crankset to a friend's Colnago. Neither the crankset nor the Colnago had been purchased from them. I've concluded that "we only work on stuff we've sold" is their way of saying "we don't want to do the job".

Agreed. It depends on a lot of factors in that place, like if
    • You've bought a bike or 2 there
    • Your bike is half-decent, i.e. not a 12yr old supermarket bike
    • Whoever you talk to is in a good mood
    • The owner is there
    • They're busy with repairs

I've bought 2 bikes for myself, and 2 bikes for friends there, and am in fairly often getting bits and pieces, so normally they'll do me a favour if I need it. That said, I was in Monday and need my rear hub done, they were getting a load of bikes in and said they couldn't even take the bike off me until next week. I don't like other shops messing with my wheels so I'll wait.

But yeah, like a woman, it depends on what mood they're in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Don't hate the LBS - hate the distributor. When I'm ordering parts from my LBS, he looks up the RRP sterling price from the catalogue and then applies the current exchange rate. Still always ends up being a bit more expensive than the "internet" but that's not really his fault.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

blorg wrote: »
    Distributor in question (Centro) has the monopoly on Trek and a range of other brands on an all-Island basis. They don't have to compete with another distributor in the North but I couldn't imagine Trek would be happy with a situation where the RRP in NI differed from the rest of the UK. Don't imagine NI consumers would take it well either.

Sounds like a bit of price gouging then in that case. Either that or he's got some sort of pricing deal with Trek.

Advertisement