Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Match Thread: Man Utd V Bolton [All Pre/During/After Match Discussion]

• 24-09-2008 12:42pm
    Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭

6ozg6tw.pngvthumbnail_Bolton_logo.jpg

Kick Off 15.00 (first one this season)
    Setanta 1 (Rep of Ireland only)

Possible Line up

PIG
    Brown
    Ferdinand
    Vidic
    Evra
    Ronaldo
    Hargreaves
    Scholes
    Park
    Rooney
    Berbatov

Tevez wil prob miss out again, This system will probably suit Rooney more with Ronaldo and Park on both wings. I think park may just shade it a head of nani due to his preformance against Chelsea. His work rate was superb last weekend.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

its a farce if Rooney starts ahead of Tevez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,446 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Mr Alan wrote: »
    its a farce if Rooney starts ahead of Tevez.

was farce the word on your word of the day toilet paper a couple of weeks ago?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

no, why? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Don't think Ronaldo will start. I reckon he'll be kept on the bench with the CL in mind.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    no, why? :)

Oh... no reason...

I tend to agree, but wouldn't go as far as calling it a farce. Tevez is the player in form, but seeing Rooney on the team sheet is never really a disappointment (not until I realise he is playing on the wing/in defence...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Des wrote: »
    Don't think Ronaldo will start. I reckon he'll be kept on the bench with the CL in mind.

He will start alright, with all respect to AALBORG, Bolton will prove a more difficult challenge.

I don't see why. He had a good run out last night, will have 3 full days of recovery time (didn't exactly over exert himself from what i have heard regardless) and the CL game is against Aalborg. I don't see any reason for him to be rested for the Aalborg game.

lol at everyone writing off Aalborg.

I hope they hocky United now.

Tevez should start, end of story. Especially seeing as he was unjustifiably dropped for the big gasme at the weekend. I also wanna see berba and Tevez linking up...Also Id imagine Evans may play after his performance at the weekend.

Anyone else think Wes may have p1ssed off Fergie in training?!

Only a fool would write off any team that goes to Celtic Park in the Champions League and gets a draw. The away game especially will be tough (as we learned a few years back in Copenhagen) and with Uniteds patchy form of late NO match is a given.

• Advertisement

Nah, he's just giving Neville games, and easing Evans into the team.

Like he should have done with Pique.

Didn't right them off especially at home, having seen both play this season, IMO Bolton will be the tougher challenge.

Boggles wrote: »
    Didn't right them off especially at home, having seen both play this season, IMO Bolton will be the tougher challenge.

Why were you watching Celtic/Aalborg when United were on TV?

Why were you watching Celtic/Aalborg when United were on TV?

Extended Highlights. But my very overpriced TV does give me pip, so I could watch several matches at once if I wanted. :D

Also Aalborg are currently 3rd last in the Danish league with 5 losses. With 4 games played at home, 1 draw and 3 losses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Tevez should start, end of story. Especially seeing as he was unjustifiably dropped for the big gasme at the weekend. I also wanna see berba and Tevez linking up...Also Id imagine Evans may play after his performance at the weekend.

More likely pissed off with his performance at Liverpool! :)

I thought Rooney had one of his best games against Chelsea so I cant see him being dropped. I also expect to see Ronaldo start. Any word on VDS injury?

Nah, he's just giving Neville games, and easing Evans into the team.

Like he should have done with Pique.

He started giving Pique games then seemed to lose faith in him towards the business end of last season (even though he produced a massive performance at home to Arsenal where he didnt put a foot wrong......and Pique has been starting this year for Barca :()

Extended Highlights. .
    Well then your opinion is laughable, at best.

Basing judgement on a team after seeing a probably (Sky = British, RTE = Irish) biased highlights package is an absolute joke. And you know it.

Aalborg are also currently 3rd last in the Danish league with 5 losses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭BlueBandit

Is Van Der Saar injured. Not at all confident in Kuzcheck (however its spelt). Reckon they'll get a few goal in this one. Starting to show a bit of form and someone is going to get a hiding when it all comes good.

Well then your opinion is laughable, at best.

Basing judgement on a team after seeing a probably (Sky = British, RTE = Irish) biased highlights package is an absolute joke. And you know it.

No Des, there alot more channels out there than Sky or RTE, My choice is Premier, their German, are they biased?
    BlueBandit wrote: »
    Is Van Der Saar injured.

Most of his injuries are emotional I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

PIG

Ferdinand
    Vidic
    Ronaldo
    Anderson---Hargreaves---Scholes----Evra
    Tevez

Rooney
    Berbatov

A little vulnerable on the left, but i think this team will spend more time on the ball than off it.

Just kidding, here is the team i like.

PIG
    Brown
    Ferdinand
    Vidic
    Evra
    Hargreaves
    Anderson
    Scholes
    Park
    Rooney
    Berbatov

I think it unfair on Tevez but until the Brown, Neville situation is sorted we cant play three up front. Ronaldo to come on at half time for Scholesy, with OH moving into the centre.

• Advertisement

Ok, guess at a team,

VDS

Brown Ferdinand Vidic Evra

Ronaldo Hargreaves Anderson Nani

Rooney Berbatov

Or something like that, would love to see Tevez in aswell but cant see the boss dropping Rooney. Probaly swap it around a bit as the game goes on. berbatov for goal on his home debut

I think he'll go with:

VDS
    Neville
    Rio
    Vidic
    Evra
    Hargreaves---Fletch---Scholes---Ronaldo
    Rooney
    Berbatov

So to say we don't need to rest Ronaldo for the Aalborg game is writing them off, but saying we should rest him (thus shouldn't really need him) Bolton is fine, and not to be inferred as writing Bolton off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

This game is more important than the CL game imo. Ronaldo to start I think.

First game this season I think we'll see

Tevez
    Rooney
    Ronaldo---
    Berbatov

with whatever is fit. Not entirely sure who will play, Brown or Neville. Neville was poor against Chelsea I thought, so Brown deserves his spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Ronnie will start. I think G Neville will continue to get games until he messes up. I hope it's the same 4 as PHB mentioned with Anderson and Scholes behind.

Rumours going round that Ben Amos might be in goals for the game tomorrow, with fitness doubts over both van der Sar and Tommy K, and Foster obviously being out.

PHB wrote: »
    This game is more important than the CL game imo

I disagree. i'm sure Fergie remembers all too well what happened us the last time we had Villarreal, Celtic and a Danish team in our group. And considering Aalborg just got an away draw at Celtic Park (which is HARD to do in Europe) I think Fergie will have a mind on the CL when he picks his team. Anything other than a win in the CL and we could be in deep trouble.

I disagree. i'm sure Fergie remembers all too well what happened us the last time we had Villarreal, Celtic and a Danish team in our group.

What year was that?

What year was that?

the year we had Villareal, Benfica and Lille in our group I think.

• Advertisement

Tauren wrote: »
    the year we had Villareal, Benfica and Lille in our group I think.

My bad. I mixed that up with the year we lost away to Copenhagen. celtic were also in our group that year...but we finished top.

My bad. I mixed that up with the year we lost away to Copenhagen.

That was

Villareal
    Benfica
    Lille

That was

Villareal
    Benfica
    Lille

yes i can read Taurens post thanks.

Either way, what i was getting at was that last time we went to Denmark for an "easy" game, we lost.

yes i can read Taurens post thanks.

Ahh come now, you edited his post and stuck in another phantom team. ;)

Ahh come now, you edited his post and stuck in another phantom team. ;)

That i did. But you quoted what id posted post edit so thats a moot point.

Either way the strongest team have to be put out against Bolton tommorow, Megson has them playing well again and with our defensive and goal keeping problems at the moment, there is no better team from a set piece or a cross to take advantage. Whatever about what a Danish team did to us a few years ago, Bolton beat us last season.

• Advertisement

I agree but we need to take BOTH games seriously is what Im saying. And Bolton beat us at the Reebok last season, for what that's worth. We play like we did in the 1st 20 mins at the Bridge for 90 minutes and we'll win comfortably. If we play for 20 mins again and then switch off then it'll be a LONG day.

Id pick:

fit GK
    Brown
    Rio
    Vidic
    Evra
    Hargreaves---Fletcher---Scholes---Ronaldo
    Tevez
    Berbatov

Also its Berbas home debut tomorrow, if he plays! Time to get his first goal!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

PIG
    -Brown-Rio-Vidic-Evra-
    ---Anderson-Scholes--
    Ronaldo--Rooney--Tevez
    Berbatov

Yes I think we will see the four of them unleashed together this weekend.

My reason for thinking this is, Ronaldo only played 60 on Tuesday, and Tevez only played 30, with Rooney and Berb not involved at all. Nani and Giggs played the whole game so I don't think they will start. I expect Brown to be back in ahead of Neville.

The only spot I have doubts about is Anderson v Hargreaves. Anderson had a really good game mid week, while Hargreaves has put in two good stints already this week and may need to be protected a bit, and to be honest I don't see a big difference between the competitiveness of Hargreaves and Anderson.

can't see that team you suggest being picked, at least one change would be Hargreaves or Fletcher in for Anderson or Scholes - can't see us going with, basically, 6 majorly offensive players, need at least one defensive/combative midfielder in there. Anderson can be combative, but i wouldn't want the responsibility to be on him alone. Personally, I would go with Anderson and Hargreaves in the middle, and I would like another midfielder in there too, but don't really want to drop any of the attacking 4! The issue with that is Rooney will probably be crap if played with all the other 3 guys, cause he'll be stuck out on the wing.

Rooney will probably be crap anyway because he's currently experiencing shoot-itis, taking too long on the ball and losing his temper far too often. He needs to be dropped in favour of the players who are in from. i'll never ever question his desire, commitment, passion or drive but football wise its just not happenin for him at the moment. I've no doubt he;ll get it back but unfortunately for United we cant afford to wait for him to find form while we drop points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Rooney will probably be crap anyway because he's currently experiencing shoot-itis

Is that supposed to last 18 months or so? Cas it seems thats how long he's go it

• Advertisement

can't see that team you suggest being picked, at least one change would be Hargreaves or Fletcher in for Anderson or Scholes - can't see us going with, basically, 6 majorly offensive players, need at least one defensive/combative midfielder in there. Anderson can be combative, but i wouldn't want the responsibility to be on him alone. Personally, I would go with Anderson and Hargreaves in the middle, and I would like another midfielder in there too, but don't really want to drop any of the attacking 4! The issue with that is Rooney will probably be crap if played with all the other 3 guys, cause he'll be stuck out on the wing.

Scholes is never caught ahead of the play anymore. Plus Boltons central midfielders aren't that much of a danger. Neither is them catching us on the break. There danger comes from any set piece they have. And Hargreaves or Fletcher wont improve us much in that area.

With Scholes nearley always being behind the play, Anderson could be instructed to do the same, get forward but stay behind the ball and just support the other forward players. If Anderson or Scholes do get caught ahead of the ball I would nearly guarantee that either Tevez or Rooney would be behind the play to make up the numbers for a minute until we got our shape back.

Arsenal went there last week and dealt with them easy enough with having anyone particularly defensive minded never mind two of them. We should be aiming to keep the ball as much as possible and then defending against set pieces will be key. This is where I am nervous about PIG, but I would be just as worried with VDS after his start to the season.

Arsenal went there last week and dealt with them easy enough with having anyone particularly defensive minded never mind two of them. We should be aiming to keep the ball as much as possible and then defending against set pieces will be key. This is where I am nervous about PIG, but I would be just as worried with VDS after his start to the season.

You many not have to worry about either keeper - fitness doubts over both apparently, Amos may make his league debut!:eek:

You many not have to worry about either keeper - fitness doubts over both apparently, Amos may make his league debut!:eek:

Jeez haven't heard anything about PIG being a doubt. Just thought he was being protected during the week. Ah well just have to see how good this Amos chap is.

Arsenal went there last week and dealt with them easy enough with having anyone particularly defensive minded never mind two of them.

Song sat in midfielder, also Eboue wouldn't be the most attacking wide player.

Arsenal were fortunate enough in the match, their equalising goal was offside and should have been disallowed. Nolan was guilty of missing a couple of great chances, although Alumina was equal to it.

Also Arsenal are playing great stuff at the moment - they deserved to beat Bolton, but the score realistically could have been 5-3.

A surprising aspect from the match was that Bolton looked suspect at defensive corners, when the strikers arn't scoring is when you need Rio or Vidic to pop up and help out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

PHB wrote: »

Tevez
    Rooney
    Ronaldo---
    Berbatov

that formation will probably never start a match. Unfortunately it isnt a game of PES or somethin. we need more shape to the team. one of them will miss out.

they'll all start at least one game but it won't happen very often. They may all end up on the pitch at the same time mind you.

evad_lhorg wrote: »
    that formation will probably never start a match. Unfortunately it isnt a game of PES or somethin. we need more shape to the team. one of them will miss out.

To be honest I cant see why.
    Surely last year we had ..

---Scholes--Carrick---
    Ronaldo--Tevez--Giggs
    ---
    Rooney

..starting matches.

I don't see how changing Giggs for Berbatov and moving where people play can affect the shape that much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Only a fool would write off any team that goes to Celtic Park in the Champions League and gets a draw. The away game especially will be tough (as we learned a few years back in Copenhagen) and with Uniteds patchy form of late NO match is a given.

as we also learned in celtic park last year!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

evad_lhorg wrote: »

Why?
    That has shape. A lot of shape. Infact, its basically a better version of the system we played last year, where Rooney played out of position. He also played an awful lot on the wing.

Maybe we won't see it tomorrow, but that team will start together at some point soon, and it'll be a lovely sight :)

---

I'm not saying the CL group isn't tough, it is. I'm just saying, the PL is the priority. We have to beat Bolton. 3 points is an absolute must. PL>CL

• Advertisement
Advertisement