Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Match Thread: Man Utd V Bolton [All Pre/During/After Match Discussion]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Or is just a logical conclusion?

no its not, mr nice guy was right in what he said! utd were all over bolton and altho bolton were defending really well it is inevitable if you defend for 90 minutes that goals can come, you cannot pin point the decision as the exact point were bolton lost it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

2nd that

he's such a selfish player
    No more selfish than Ronaldo tbh. He is like Ronaldo of afew years ago, he will shoot from everywhere and doesnt realese the ball early enough. He will develop into an excellant player imo. I thought he did ok when he came on.

Anyone claiming Ronaldo dived is frankly an imbecile. He was caught and went down, as happens in many a fair tackle. Samuel won the ball and in the tackle knocked Ronaldo off his feet. Nothing illegal about that. But he did not dive. He was just on the receiving end of an excellent perfectly timed tackle that got unjustly punished.

And lads, had we not have got the penalty we could have struggled, though I do think the introduction of Scholes and Rooney would have caused havoc for Bolton anyway but it certainly made it easier for us and I frankly dont like winnning that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

no its not, mr nice guy was right in what he said! utd were all over bolton and altho bolton were defending really well it is inevitable if you defend for 90 minutes that goals can come, you cannot pin point the decision as the exact point were bolton lost it!

You didn't break them down. Rob Styles did. Maybe you would have in the remaining third of the game. Maybe not. But once you do, the game is completely different. So it is the key moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

gixerfixer wrote: »
    Easy to call someone a clown from the saftey of your keyboard isnt it :o. P.M. me and we can sort this out

Are you for real? How old are you 14?

• Advertisement

Easy to call someone a clown from the saftey of your keyboard isnt it :o. P.M. me and we can sort this out

Get the boat will ya. First of all it wasnt a dive. It wasnt a penalty but it wasnt a dive. How you can claim that is beyond me. maybe you're just biased?

Secondly what kind of an idiot do you think this quote makes you look like? Tough guys don't talk smack on the bloody internet ffs. Leave that sh1t for the 14 year old youtube muppets and lets try and discuss the game with a bit of objectivity can we?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

*sigh*

All I can say is I'm not in the least bit surprised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,447 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Trilla wrote: »
    Are you for real? How old are you 14?

lol - fight fight fight!

is he actuallly Jamie Carragher?

Xavi6 wrote: »
    *sigh*

some refs are just consistent.

Styles is always sh1te. Riley is always sh1te.

At least Styles performance will mask how poor we were for the first 60 mins...........:(

*sigh*

About what? (the below is not targetted at you btw Xavi)

Seriously lads boards soccer is getting worse and worse... Serioulsy considering not coming on here as much anymore. Not enough people on here capable of having a decent conversation and argument about the sport. I remeber when people like El rabitos, Wheres me jumpa etc were on here and were more then capable of arguing but in a good, challengin and polite way. No sneeky smart ass remarks or tinted glasses. Where has all this gone???

People tryin to start fights via pm, what next? Thats just absolutely stupid.

I havent seen the game today so I cant comment on it, other then the result. Glad to see Rooney scoring again, supposed to be a cracker. It will do wonders for his game

How did Berba play? Average again?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Seriously lads boards soccer is getting worse and worse... Serioulsy considering not coming on here as much anymore. Not enough people on here capable of having a decent conversation and argument about the sport. I remeber when people like El rabitos, Wheres me jumpa etc were on here and were more then capable of arguing but in a good, challengin and polite way. No sneeky smart ass remarks or tinted glasses. Where has all this gone???

I havent seen the game today so I cant comment on it, other then the result. Glad to see Rooney scoring again, supposed to be a cracker. It will do wonders for his game

+1, think I may check out that other forum

("good riddance" -- yes I know)

+ 1 mate

Rooneys goal was quality. The shimmy before he shot was for me what made it a special goal. the finish was a peach too.

Berbatov had some nice passes but he looked sulky and he, for me, didn't get into the box enough. he was playing as a support striker instead of an out and out striker. He looks a little frustrated, he was visably annoyed at Ronaldo's selfishness during the game. But it was only his 3rd game, give him time. Its quite common for strikers to take a bit of time to settle into a new club, a new system and new teammates. Keane and Berbatov knew each others games inside out and now you can see both are having to adjust. It takes time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,529 ✭✭✭Im_No_Superman

Well said.

Berbatov did ok, he is improving with every game, had some nice touches during the game and could have got a goal with a header in the first half.

Dodgy penos at the Traf and Riley being shit. Neither raised an eyebrow.

Dodgy penos at the Traf and Riley being shit. Neither raised an eyebrow.

swings and roundabouts.

Park should have got 3 penos already this season in 2 different games. C'est la vie. Didnt see it but heard he defo got the ball and United didnt even look for a pen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

+ 1 mate

Berbatov had some nice passes but he looked sulky and he, for me, didn't get into the box enough. he was playing as a support striker instead of an out and out striker. He looks a little frustrated, he was visably annoyed at Ronaldo's selfishness during the game. But it was only his 3rd game, give him time. Its quite common for strikers to take a bit of time to settle into a new club, a new system and new teammates. Keane and Berbatov knew each others games inside out and now you can see both are having to adjust. It takes time.
    I taught berba was bought to be the main striker

not a supportive striker
    very strange idea by fergie

i feel he's frustration trying to justify he's price tag

he'll come good

swings and roundabouts.

We all know there are more swings than roundabouts at OT though. It's not the first time and it won't be the last. It's just a part of football at this stage.

I taught berba was bought to be the main striker

not a supportive striker
    very strange idea by fergie

i feel he's frustration trying to justify he's price tag

he'll come good

So did I since we already have an abundance of support strikers. I know United rely on interchangeability but surely that should mean someones always in the box.

Was confused watching today as to what exactly his role is.

We all know there are more swings than roundabouts at OT though.

This is cleary OTT, "We all know" that

This is cleary OTT, "We all know" that

Ah come on now. Surely even through red tinted glasses you can see that United get treated at lot differently at OT than they do away from home.

• Advertisement

Ah come on now. Surely even through red tinted glasses you can see that United get treated at lot differently at OT than they do away from home.

Well judging by the amount of yellows we got at Anfield and the Bridge when similar challenges from the other teams went unpunished it seems that OT isnt the only place this happens......

Also its natural United will get more penalties at OT than visiting teams because in7 out of 10 games United will absolutely dominate teams increasing the probability of someone fouling in the box since most of the play is up there. hard to get a penalty if you're boxed in your half.

Well judging by the amount of yellows we got at Anfield and the Bridge when similar challenges from the other teams went unpunished it seems that OT isnt the only place this happens......

Also its natural United will get more penalties at OT than visiting teams because in7 out of 10 games United will absolutely dominate teams increasing the probability of someone fouling in the box since most of the play is up there. hard to get a penalty if you're boxed in your half.

Wasn't it something like ten years without a peno at OT in the league? Betwwen Ruel Fox and Danny Murphy? Something like that anyway.

Point is, there's no way every team in between that spent their time camped in their own box. and United have had some horribly soft penalties at OT. I'm not complaining, it's great for them, but it is laughable even for United fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

You've just described every single club in the Premier League mate

Wasn't it something like ten years without a peno at OT in the league? Betwwen Ruel Fox and Danny Murphy? Something like that anyway.

Point is, there's no way every team in between that spent their time camped in their own box. and United have had some horribly soft penalties at OT. I'm not complaining, it's great for them, but it is laughable even for United fans.

I wasnt aware of that stat and I;d have to look it up.

I'm not disagreeing with you, i;m just giving food for thought to the topic. These things are never just black and white. But not every penno we get is a gift and ones have been given against us too.

deise59 wrote: »
    You've just described every single club in the Premier League mate

I don't think I have tbh.

I watched every single City game last season, home and away, and it took until the game against Sunderland (away) in April to get a peno, despite some clear cut ones previous (one against Spurs is very fresh in the mind).

OT is an intimidating place for referees. Soft ones like Riley crumble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

i was delighted with wayne rooney today, looked like he had a point to prove for not startin, and sure as fcuk proved it! played great in the 20 minutes he was on!

this game was backwards for united, the last 2 they played well in the forst 20 minutes and bad for the rest, this game we played well in the LAST 30 minutes... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,447 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

We all know there are more swings than roundabouts at OT though. It's not the first time and it won't be the last. It's just a part of football at this stage.

of course there are - at Old Trafford the vast majority of chances and attacking will be for United, so the amount of penalties that we get will be higher, because, quite simply, the opposition don't get into our box anywhere near as much.

Same for Liverpool at Anfield, Chelsea at the bridge, Arsenal at the Emerites. Less defending means less goals and penalties conceeded.

I would say United have more penalties that should be given turned down then actually get given. Villareal game saw Park get fouled in the box twice and we got nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

2jagh9i.jpg

facepalm.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Goals from todays game
    1-0
    2-0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

I don't think I have tbh.

I watched every single City game last season, home and away, and it took until the game against Sunderland (away) in April to get a peno, despite some clear cut ones previous (one against Spurs is very fresh in the mind).

OT is an intimidating place for referees. Soft ones like Riley crumble.

Wasn't there a study done a few years ago by a college professor that showed 87% of all decisions went in favour of Manchester United?

I can't find it atm, but I've seen reference to it a couple of times on TV (so it must be true)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Wasn't there a study done a few years ago by a college professor that showed 87% of all decisions went in favour of Manchester United?

I can't find it atm, but I've seen reference to it a couple of times on TV (so it must be true)
    Well if a professor said it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭genericgoon

Was this Professor Benitez or Professor Wenger?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

2jagh9i.jpg

oh dear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Torres was offside.. I am stills stunned that people are still going on about this! We weren't robbed!!!

No he wasn't, either way it was far too close for the linesman to call offside 100%

Shocking penalty decision there.

No reason why a video replay would slow the game down for things like this. By the time everyone calms down and the penalty actually gets taken it coudl have been looked at from 100 angles if they wanted. As it happened a real time replay from Van Der Sars perspective would have cleared it up.

• Advertisement

To be fair to ronaldo its clear he didnt dive either, just an honest clean tackle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Poor Decision on the penalty, 2nd time in a week Bolton have been hard done by.

Although I didn't notice as many people giving out about Arsenals off side equaliser last week, I wonder why?
    FFS ref take Ronaldo **** out of your mouth. That is simply shocking. Verging on cheating IMHO. If he cant see that was a pathetic dive he has no business being a referee
    Easy to call someone a clown from the saftey of your keyboard isnt it . P.M. me and we can sort this out
    I've just watched the penalty again and im even more convinced this time it was a blatant Ronaldo dive. Shocking stuff and that combined with a referee only to happy to keep ferguson happy is the reason Bolton have being robbed today.Football is really being ruined by these cheats

Very Embarrasing!

Boggles wrote: »
    Although I didn't notice as many people giving out about Arsenals off side equaliser last week, I wonder why?

Very true....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Boggles wrote: »
    Poor Decision on the penalty, 2nd time in a week Bolton have been hard done by.

Boggles, you reckon you're a smart bloke, why do you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Boggles, you reckon you're a smart bloke.

You will have to talk to Master Alan about that, he said it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Shocking shocking penalty decision... did anyone see the premiership last night? Houghton and Souness got fairly annoyed over it. Said that ref's should be held accountable for terrible decisions such as this. Have to agree, must be incredibly frustrating for managers/ players when a bad decision can change the whole complexion of the game.

As for people saying Ronaldo dived, jesus christ have a look at the video above. He trailed his foot slightly but I cant see him staying on his feet there. Great tackle by the defender. Only thing funnier than that decision is some of the comments on here!

Oh, and challenging someone to a fight through PM because you've been shown to have a bit of a dodgy view of the situation? wtf... gixerfixer you might have a more intellectual debate on youtube mate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 756 ✭✭✭D.S.

roryc wrote: »
    Shocking shocking penalty decision... did anyone see the premiership last night? Houghton and Souness got fairly annoyed over it. Said that ref's should be held accountable for terrible decisions such as this. Have to agree, must be incredibly frustrating for managers/ players when a bad decision can change the whole complexion of the game.

Not really convinced myself you can actually hold a ref accountable for a result? How would that actually work?

I think there is a couple of things wrong with referring:

- standards: not enough training, development of refs. It's fair to say that bar a small few, most aren't strong/individual enough during games.
    - Sideline/4th Officials: not enough consultation with sideline/4th officials. When in doubt, at least consult. If no clear call, no decision.
    - Technology: no goal line technology, video replays etc etc. Regardless of pro's/con's and merits of individual technologies, FIFA is v much change adverse, and should be trialling a lot more technology in leagues in order to support referees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

D.S. wrote: »
    Not really convinced myself you can actually hold a ref accountable for a result? How would that actually work?

I think there is a couple of things wrong with referring:

- standards: not enough training, development of refs. It's fair to say that bar a small few, most aren't strong/individual enough during games.
    - Sideline/4th Officials: not enough consultation with sideline/4th officials. When in doubt, at least consult. If no clear call, no decision.
    - Technology: no goal line technology, video replays etc etc. Regardless of pro's/con's and merits of individual technologies, FIFA is v much change adverse, and should be trialling a lot more technology in leagues in order to support referees.

I think they were more thinking along the lines of the ref having a quick after match interview, similar to the managers, and perhaps explaining WHY they made some decisions.

Referees are somewhat 'untouchable', as managers can't even approach them after a game without getting a £25k fine etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Read that a few years ago, not sure how many have been given since 2003, but the article is here - http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2003/jun/26/theknowledge.sport

There's definetely a perception that Ref's favour United at home, not sure how favourable they are - but decisions like yesterday don't go any way to dispell that perception.

The peno was a bad decision, but it looks like just another in a season of shockers from the officials.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Nothing but talk. Now that's a surprise :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

2jagh9i.jpg

I've been defending Ronaldo all last night in the local for not diving - but seeing this? Doesnt he make sure his back foot is caught?

Dont really care either way, but it is typical of Man U, they always seem to get the breaks.

And they'll need them if they're gonna pip the Villa for 4th :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

zAbbo wrote: »
    Read that a few years ago, not sure how many have been given since 2003, but the article is here - http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2003/jun/26/theknowledge.sport

There's definetely a perception that Ref's favour United at home, not sure how favourable they are - but decisions like yesterday don't go any way to dispell that perception.

The peno was a bad decision, but it looks like just another in a season of shockers from the officials.

I don't know, I've never bought into this theory. I know yesterday was a shocker, but we well could have had another penalty on Park yesterday but it wasn't given.
    Park has had 2 dead cert penalties turned down this season.

I think in the last couple of years, there has been a response to the perception United don't get penalties. For a while, there was a period of about 10 games, not last year, but the year before, when we couldn't buy a penalty, no matter how obvious the foul was.

It was a shocking decision no doubt. But as has been mentioned, nobody talked like this when Park wasn't given the penalty he deserved against Newcastle. But nobody ever does talk about those sorts of decisions.

If the ref doesn't give offside, and it turns out to be a goal, everyone goes nuts.
    If the ref gives offside, denying a clear goal, everyone remembers it, but nowhere near as much.

If the ref gives a penalty, when it wasn't a penalty, everyone says its a travesty.
    If the ref doesn't give a penalty, when it was a penalty, everyone just writes it off.

Considering these reasons, there's no surprise when the refs bottle it most of the time, because we let them away with it, and punish them if they get it wrong.

I just saw the penalty decision. Its a shocker. Ronaldo didnt dive, and in fairness there wasnt much of a celebration. Did the professional thing, got up and stuck it away. Still cant that dive on the sideline in the Chelsea game out of my head - what a tool for doin that.

Berbatov looked decent enough from the highlights. Saw him gettin pissd off at Nani who just wanted to toy around with the ball everytime he got it. He can be so frustrating at times. Seems to have good technique, its just his decisions are poor most of the time. Need to work on him big time.

I've been defending Ronaldo all last night in the local for not diving - but seeing this? Doesnt he make sure his back foot is caught?

Jesus christ. He was already fallings because of his left foot losing balance.
    Also, he didnt even bloody appeal.

Get. Over. It.

People want to make out United did something yesterday and its their fault. If Ronaldo dived, then people can think, of those cheating United ****. But in reality, United were just on the end of a bad ref decision which benefited them. Unfortunately, no matter how much some people will try, you can't blame this on United. Which I know is sad for you all.

People people who are bitching about crap posts, why the hell do you keep bringing it up?

Surely the best thing to do is ignore it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement