Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Match Thread: Man Utd V Bolton [All Pre/During/After Match Discussion]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

PHB wrote: »
    Jesus christ. He was already fallings because of his left foot losing balance.
    Also, he didnt even bloody appeal.

Get. Over. It.

People want to make out United did something yesterday and its their fault. If Ronaldo dived, then people can think, of those cheating United ****. But in reality, United were just on the end of a bad ref decision which benefited them. Unfortunately, no matter how much some people will try, you can't blame this on United. Which I know is sad for you all.

Don't. Be. Smart.

I don't care if he dived or not, if you'd read my post you'd understand. And as a moderator, there's plenty other posts on here you might be better off looking at instead of spouting your " sad for you all " rubbish.
    It's people like you with your persecution complex that make a club like Man U, who play exciting football with genuinely talented footballers easy to dislike.
    Have a nice day my friend.
    ;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Good result, it def wasn't pen and it def wasn't a dive.

I thought Rooney and SCholes were outstanding. Great assist from Ronaldo too.

More needed form Berba.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

gixerfixer has been banned from the forum for 2 yellow cards. I'll be taking it up with the admins about a site-ban in relation to the threats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Good work PHB, this is football and shouldnt have to stoop to these levels.

Anyways I am happy we got that result yday we need more like that for our confidence over the coming weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

We still didn't play anywhere near our best... Berba should really be looking to get off the mark soon, as should Robbie Keane. They seem to have some sort of Spurs Curse and neither can score :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

deise59 wrote: »
    2jagh9i.jpg

How can a ref make it to the top level, and yet make such an incredible blunder? This ref was in the mire last year aswell if memory serves. He should be demoted from top tier refing for incompetence imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

Bad decision by the ref.

United still don't look close to the team they where last year. There will have to be an improvement if they are going to challenge Chelsea.

Prufrock wrote: »
    Bad decision by the ref.

United still don't look close to the team they where last year. There will have to be an improvement if they are going to challenge Chelsea.

Well if the refs keep giving them a digout like yesterday they'll be fine. ;)

gixerfixer site-banned for that crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

You can't win the Premiership on penalties. :rolleyes:

Jeez what a sensitive bunch around here.

Its very early days in the season to be worrying about winning the league yet. Chelsea are showing the early form true, but its what 5/6 games into a season, theres a long way to go yet. ManU will go on a run at some stage. Should be a good league this year, and a close one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

I hope that decision gets rid of knob styles once and for all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Shouldn't Ronnie get an assist for winning the peno? Fantasy footy hat on here, embarrassing decision but what can you do. Swings and roundabouts and all that.

Don't. Be. Smart.

I don't care if he dived or not, if you'd read my post you'd understand. And as a moderator, there's plenty other posts on here you might be better off looking at instead of spouting your " sad for you all " rubbish.
    It's people like you with your persecution complex that make a club like Man U, who play exciting football with genuinely talented footballers easy to dislike.
    Have a nice day my friend.
    ;)

I don;t think he was being smart tbh. Its crazy for anyone to say Ronaldo dived. He was brought down by an excellent tackle. The rules of football don;t state that you have to win the ball without knocking the player over. It was an excellent tackle, well timed, and it brought Ronaldo off his feet. Ronaldo didn't appeal for the penalty and he had plenty of time to do so given Styles' delayed reaction.

It wasn't a penalty, it was a terrible call by the ref. Pretty much every United fan on here has said that. The "persecution complex" that you're talking about comes from people blindly insisting that it was a blatant dive. It wasn't and nobody in their right mind would argue that it was unless they were just doing it for the sake of it because it was Ronaldo involved.

RasTa wrote: »
    Shouldn't Ronnie get an assist for winning the peno? Fantasy footy hat on here, embarrassing decision but what can you do. Swings and roundabouts and all that.

You can't get the assist for your own goal!!!! He got points for the goal and got an assist for Rooneys goal...

(I had Ronnie as captain btw, inspired decision :))

Also, as for the penalty decision, its been done to death and anyone can see it wasn't a penalty and (for once) Ronaldo didn't dive... he didn't even look for it ffs

Standard of refereeing is sh*t, as I speak Tottenham just had a blatant handball (penalty) not given... funny thing is the ref gave Portsmouth a penalty for the exact same thing at the start of the game. Totally inconsistent

• Advertisement

Ronaldo would have gotten an assist had somebody else scored the penalty I think.

PHB wrote: »
    Ronaldo would have gotten an assist had somebody else scored the penalty I think.

not so sure about this, afaik they (fantasypremierleage.com) changed their stance on it this year... either you got the assist last year and you don't now, or the other way around

Too lazy to check :)

Realistically anoyone who had Rob Styles as captain this week would have had a good week, he;ll get bonus points for that assist. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

He didn't dive, he didn't even do that Roanldo "begging hands" gesture he does after he thinks he's been fouled.

The ref made a bad call.

That's not Ronaldo's, United's, Ferguson's or United Fan's fault.

It just happened.

People saying it's a disgrace, well, it's not as if refs have ever given your club a soft penalty, bad decision.

The smell of sour grapes is strong in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

A penalty was clearly the wrong decision but I'm not sure United get any favourable treatment when it comes to conceeding/receiving penalties compared to other teams.

You just have to look at the Pompey/Spurs game today. I doubt there'll be such a big fuss over the penalty decsions there as there was yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Anyone saying Ronnie dived is funny tbh and not worth getting worked up over, its quite clearly just a bad decision, they happen quite a bit but only get highlighted when certain teams/players are involved

On the Berbatov front, i will say this, that even though i have always said he isnt what we need and that i didnt want him, he looked better today, i honestly believe once he acclimatises to the team and regains full match fitness he will be a good signing, he has that little touch of class that could be a difference maker at the end of the year

As i type Valencia just scored a peach for Wigan against City, get in there!!

yep unreal goal... Valencia

.... and yet another dodgy penalty decision favours the home team. More evidence that it's not just isolated to games at Old Trafford.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    .... and yet another dodgy penalty decision favours the home team. More evidence that it's not just isolated to games at Old Trafford.
    Do you read previous post by any chance?

One problem yday:

Problem = Rob Styles.

COME ON WIGAN!!

kryogen, were ya not concerned by how tempermental Berba looked yesterday?

Bill wrote: »
    Do you read previous post by any chance?

One problem yday:

Problem = Rob Styles.
    Yes, I read the whole thread. Numerous posts were made claiming that the poor refereeing decision was due to it being United that benifited/the game was at Old Trafford.

My point was that a similar situation at Wigan today proves that it happens everywhere and not just at Old Trafford.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Yes, I read the whole thread. Numerous posts were made claiming that the poor refereeing decision was due to it being United that benifited/the game was at Old Trafford.

My point was that a similar situation at Wigan today proves that it happens everywhere and not just at Old Trafford.
    Apologies, I stand corrected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

group hug needed here

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Hopefully they will and maybe we can read more insightful wonders like this beauty. Infaact i hope there are random goals awaded just to hear people like your goodself whinge about it.

On topic:

What were peoples opinions of Berb during this game>?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I didnt watch the match, but Andy Gray certainly painted him out to be a lazy sod who wasnt arsed in the "Last Word" last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

lordgoat wrote: »
    On topic:

What were peoples opinions of Berb during this game>?

I thought he was pretty anonymous tbh. But I do think he's trying. It appears that Utd have to settle into a formation that will suit everybody. When you see Rooney coming on and not having to play support for Ronaldo or Berba, you can see the results.

Utd defo looked a more potent force with Rooney unleashed, but that will be the exception, rather than the rule this season. With £30M+ spent on Berba, Fergie will have to give him support, as he will get a lot more goals as part of a strike force, than unsupported (look at his partnership at Spurs with RK).

I do think, however, that he will quickly lose the support of the fans if he refuses to get stuck in and fight for the ball. He really really comes across as a lazy f**ker a lot of the time, and there is only so long that fans will put up with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Berbatov yeah it will take time for him and others to adjust to one another, he's just one of those accomdating players. But there is little signs already, like in the Chelsea and Pool games he was very strong and involved heavily in both goals....

I think it will fall into shape in time
    Hobart wrote: »
    Utd defo looked a more potent force with Rooney unleashed, but that will be the exception, rather than the rule this season. .

Yeah, but away from home (especially in CL) its a different kettle of fish. Hopefully he'll be more in the whole or up front this season and bag a few more...that said his assists and goals combined record is decent enough. He just can be so frustrating at times.

Meh if it was 0-0 and he was walking around like that I'd be calling for his head. Anyway this is interesting if it is true.
    Bolton Wanderers captain Kevin Nolan admits even Manchester United's players were baffled by Rob Styles' penalty award on Saturday.

Styles awarded a spot-kick at Old Trafford following Jlloyd Samuel's tackle on Cristiano Ronaldo with the score at 0-0 after an hour.

Samuel won the ball in the challenge, with Ronaldo going to ground under the tackle before stepping up to convert the penalty.

United went on to win the match 2-0, but the incident proved to be the turning point, with Nolan revealing the champions were also surprised by Styles' decision.

'Didn't make sense'
    "Ronaldo was on the floor saying, 'I didn't want a penalty!'," said Nolan in the Daily Mail.

"I don't think one of them put their hands up asking for a penalty. Fletcher's going, 'It's not a penalty', Tevez is going, 'It's not a penalty'. Twenty players who were in the box at the time knew it wasn't a penalty.

"But the man who was in black had the final say. They couldn't believe their luck.

"But you're at United and unfortunately that happens.

"It does strike fear into you when you look at this magnificent stadium. Maybe that's what's happened to the referee. He said he thought Jlloyd took Ronaldo before the ball.

"It didn't make sense to me at all. But I can't say too much or I'm going to get done by the FA."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,446 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i read this morning that styles wants to appologise to Bolton for his error. Interestingly, and goes with the article posted just above, what I was reading said Style realised almost immediately that he had made the wrong call going by the reactions of the players. If this was the case, and before the penalty was taken, why did he not reverse his decision? Look at the 'penalty' in the everton game (i think) recently where the ref had origianlly given a penalty then changed his mind, incorrectly, to a free outside the box.

Also, on the article above: Shame on Nolan for being involved in the obvious conspiracy to cover up Ronaldo's obvious dive...

Styles is a sham.

The accusations people were levelling at Reilly last weekend are more applicable to Styles imo. ie: he is not biased, just bad. His problem is his own ego, he loves being the centre of attention.

Hopefully this may be another nail in his coffin.

RasTa wrote: »
    Meh if it was 0-0 and he was walking around like that I'd be calling for his head. Anyway this is interesting if it is true.

Lol, it was 0-0 for an hour, unless you were looking at a different game. He really did very little in the game, up to that point, and only for Utd being gifted an absolute howler of a decision, he probably would had carried on in the same vein.

Like I said, I don't particularly blame him, but he could even attempt to show a bit more enthusiasm when off the ball, but standing there with your hands on your hips waiting for service, while your teammates battle for the ball, is going to endear him to nobody.

If he is still the displaying the same traits in 6 weeks, I would be worried as a Utd fan, but maybe by then he will have "settled in".

depends where he is standing - if it is in line with the opposition defenders thus offering an out ball to the guys working for it then great, it is what i want him to be doing! Too often last season we had rooney AND tevez battling in midfield for the ball so when they got it, there was no one to aim an attacking pass at.

Lol, it was 0-0 for an hour, unless you were looking at a different game. He really did very little in the game, up to that point, and only for Utd being gifted an absolute howler of a decision, he probably would had carried on in the same vein.

Like I said, I don't particularly blame him, but he could even attempt to show a bit more enthusiasm when off the ball, but standing there with your hands on your hips waiting for service, while your teammates battle for the ball, is going to endear him to nobody.

If he is still the displaying the same traits in 6 weeks, I would be worried as a Utd fan, but maybe by then he will have "settled in".

Well when Gray and co were highlighting him walking around it was in the 90th minute and we where 2-0 up. All the clips they highlighted we where 2-0 up.

Tauren wrote: »
    depends where he is standing - if it is in line with the opposition defenders thus offering an out ball to the guys working for it then great, it is what i want him to be doing! Too often last season we had rooney AND tevez battling in midfield for the ball so when they got it, there was no one to aim an attacking pass at.

I wasn't actually talking about the game yesterday, I was talking about the game at Anfield (which I was at) where he looked as if he could not have been bothered.

I didn't see him display the same traits yesterday, although he was fairly anonymous for most of the game. As I have said repeatedly, it's a little early to judge. As for Andy Grey,....meh tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

meh, his indifference saw him score over 40 goals for Spurs in two seasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

"Endeared to fans" what kind of bullshít is that?

I'm sure the player, and his manager, couldn't care less if the fans love him or hate him.

I can guarantee one thing though. If the manager isn't happy with the performances, he won't be in the team.

He has been given a job by the manager. Same way Ronaldo is told not to track back, Berbatov is told not to get involved in a midfield scrap for tha ball.

He looks "uninterested" most of the time, because he's waiting for a pass.

meh, his indifference saw him score over 40 goals for Spurs in two seasons.

Diego Forlan tbh.....

Des wrote: »

I'm sure the player, and his manager, couldn't care less if the fans love him or hate him.

I can guarantee one thing though. If the manager isn't happy with the performances, he won't be in the team.

He has been given a job by the manager. Same way Ronaldo is told not to track back, Berbatov is told not to get involved in a midfield scrap for tha ball.

If that is the case then I'm happy we'll have a striker as an out ball for the midfielders - however, it would also lead me to question why we bought him, as he isn't really a lead the line striker suited to that role.

Diego Forlan tbh.....

I don't see where you are going with that one... Diego has done well in Spain, but some players are better suited to certain leagues. Kovacevic, Milosovic, Morientes - all have done well in Spain but flopped in England. Berbatov has already proven himself in England, so that is not the issue. Unless you are saying Forlan did no succeed just because he couldn't handle/adapt to OT, then you maybe have a point.

Des wrote: »
    Is it the concept or the words you are having difficulty with?
    Really? I'm sure most players would like to have a healthy relationship with the fans. Infact I would go as far to say that I'm positive that all would like a good relationship with the fans.
    Apologies, I did not realise that you were privy to the dressing room/training pitch conversations of Fergie and his charges.
    Lol, I suppose that's my point.

• Advertisement

Diego Forlan tbh.....

Robbie Keane tbh...

Tauren wrote: »
    I don't see where you are going with that one... Diego has done well in Spain, .....
    I'm trying to show you that your point that he did well at spurs, is no guarantee of success. Forlan was abysmal at Manu, and went on to win the Golden Boot when he finally got out. Just because a player plays well with one team (for one the setup at Spurs was totally different to the one at Manu) it does not necessarily follow that he will do well at another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

I'm trying to show you that your point that he did well at spurs, is no guarantee of success. Forlan was abysmal at Manu, and went on to win the Golden Boot when he finally got out. Just because a player plays well with one team (for one the setup at Spurs was totally different to the one at Manu) it does not necessarily follow that he will do well at another.

A certain R Keane comes to mind and its not the manger one.:cool:

Robbie Keane has been very good for Liverpool so far, the fact that he hasnt scored matters nowt. close to mom performances in victories over Utd and Everton in his first few games will do nicely thank you very much :)

I wasn't actually talking about the game yesterday, I was talking about the game at Anfield (which I was at) .

Thanks for sharing. Keep your debate on topic in future.

• Advertisement
Advertisement