Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st year DT249 part time rollcall

Options
  • 24-09-2008 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭

Hey

Just checking to see if any of my classmates are boards users.

Say hi!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭babyhack

ChRoMe wrote: »
    Hey

Just checking to see if any of my classmates are boards users.

Say hi!

hey

never thought of asking on boards for classmates, hopefully there is a few more of us here (class had about 60 people)

PM me if you fancy metting up before class, new class new friends and all that

BH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 oreilly21

hey.

cant really call myself a class mate cos i missed 2 and a half months of the first semester cos i was away with work.

trying to wing it in these exams, any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

I'm another member of that class!

How did you find the exam on Tuesday? I found the forth question really easy but I struggled with all of the binary stuff (I have no interest in it because it is mind numbingly boring).

The C exam tomorrow will be a toughie I reckon.

@ oreilly21: So you basically started at the end of the lectures and are straight into the exams? :eek: Ouch!

Btw what's the story with repeating exams?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 oreilly21

i decided not to do the exam today, big time wimped out of it.
    i wasnt prepared at all for it and i will just do the summer repeat instead.

i found question 1 okay in the comp tech exam. thats really all i was around for lecture wise so it wasnt too bad.

the other questions seemed okay and i had a stab at them but it is tough when you have missed so much of the classes. next semester will be grand though, i have been promised not to be travelling for next 6 months with work.

how was the exam today?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Murilloinf

wow... was passing by and found it !

see u on the supp over the summer !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

C exam was a disgrace......I mean write C code on paper????
    Pseudocode maybe, but write C code
    Who does that???? I work with programmers and theyve never heard the likes of it... Also where was everybody?? There was only 5 or 6 for the exam :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭babyhack

john47832 wrote: »
    C exam was a disgrace......I mean write C code on paper????
    Pseudocode maybe, but write C code
    Who does that???? I work with programmers and theyve never heard the likes of it... Also where was everybody?? There was only 5 or 6 for the exam :confused:

In the other room with most of the class

I take it you went to room 2 as room 1 was full :P

and yes writing code on a sheet of paper is odd but they where short programs and the idea was to see if you have the right idea not to write code that was 100% and you could compile

BH

Ok that explains where everybody was, but I'm still not happy :mad:
    were all the previous years exam papers not requiring pseudocode ?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Murilloinf

hey lads, how did you get on ???

got the results and for some reason was approved !
    uhulll !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

were all the previous years exam papers not requiring pseudocode ?

No, they were not - I'm a second year DT249 student and the C exam was the same last year, write C code on paper... I thought it was the stupidest thing I've heard as well. I write code daily (though in Ruby) and I use tools available: like editors that can do syntax completion and I rely on the interpreter (or compiler for languages like C) errors to fix any mistakes I make. I see no practical use in remembering how to exactly structure code down to the last curly bracket off the top of my head. Memorizing code would not necessarily make you a better programmer... Get used to it though, all exams are good ol' pen and paper.

• Advertisement

Thanks J-blk - I prob should ave studied the past exams a bit more :)

Anyways I got 61% where I was hoping to scrape 40% - so I guessed they gave a fair quota for effort

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Good stuff. I did better than I thought on that exam last year too, most of the lecturers so far seem to mark up, rather than down, if you show some effort... Best of luck with the 2nd semester, you'll have 3 modules to get through but 2 of them are easier than the 2 in the 1st semester, at least in my opinion.. :)

Does anyone have a book list?

I know the below are required but I'm missing some and I am at a loss to see which ones

For computer technology 1 - A Logical approach to Discrete Math

For Information Systems in Organizations - Essentials of Management Information Systems 8th Edition

What else is required?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭docentore

J-blk wrote: »
    No, they were not - I'm a second year DT249 student and the C exam was the same last year, write C code on paper... I thought it was the stupidest thing I've heard as well. I write code daily (though in Ruby) and I use tools available: like editors that can do syntax completion and I rely on the interpreter (or compiler for languages like C) errors to fix any mistakes I make. I see no practical use in remembering how to exactly structure code down to the last curly bracket off the top of my head. Memorizing code would not necessarily make you a better programmer... Get used to it though, all exams are good ol' pen and paper.

sorry, but I think you're wrong. It was either C or pseudo code, the same thing with this year OOP, java, C or pseudocode. At least I did it in pseudocode and I passed ;)

Link to post semester 2 assignments issues, hopefully we can resolve a few issues

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=473

What is the web page for the Computing Fundamentals 1 module? I know the other two but for some reason I can't remember this one :rolleyes:

Raekwon wrote: »
    What is the web page for the Computing Fundamentals 1 module? I know the other two but for some reason I can't remember this one :rolleyes:

http://www.comp.dit.ie/coleary/teaching/dt2491pa/index.html

No that's the Information Storage and Management module on Wednesday night, I know that one, I mean the class on Thursday night called Computing Fundamentals 1. Any idea what the web page for that class is?

http://www.comp.dit.ie/pbrowne/Compfund1/compfun1.htm

Best of luck to ye if your only looking at it now, I've been staring at it for weeks and can still not make head nor tail of it.. :confused:

http://www.comp.dit.ie/pbrowne/Compfund1/compfun1.htm

Best of luck to ye if your only looking at it now, I've been staring at it for weeks and can still not make head nor tail of it.. :confused:

I just hadn't got it bookmarked and forgot the blokes name :D I agree though, it is abit of a brain teaser of a class, if there were less of these classes and more programming & other useful stuff then it would be way better.

• Advertisement
Advertisement