Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Low-Down on giving grinds??

Options
  • 24-09-2008 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Looking for any advice on giving grinds in maths & science subjects...whats expected, typical rates etc. Anything is a help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

What qualifications have you got?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

The normal going rate is about €25 quid, people giving grinds at this rate tend to be in college studying a degree relevant to the grinds they're giving.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Cian92

I seem to think its usually €25-35. Seems to usually be a qualified teacher who works ina school but is exceptional teacher at there subject! Thats what anyone me or my friends have gotten grinds off is like anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

I was thinking of giving maths grinds. how much would you guys pay for someone who got an A1 in maths and is studying engineering in college? just out of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭gemxpink

Was it an A1 in HL? Probably around €20-25.

• Advertisement

Peleus wrote: »
    I was thinking of giving maths grinds. how much would you guys pay for someone who got an A1 in maths and is studying engineering in college? just out of interest.

€20? Maybe? I didn't give grinds til I had my degree, tbh I'd be surprised if people even take you as a first year, lots of people who rang me were surprised and a little miffed that I wasn't actually a teacher :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Being good at something doesn't mean you'll be able to teach it.
    For someone without a degree or any teaching experience I'd say €20 would be the very top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭KhanTheMan

yeah, i wouldnt have anybody giving my kids grinds unless they are actually a qualified teacher, actively teaching the subject.

Simply because people who are not qualified can be a lot worse than they think they are at teaching and really its just downright dangerous for them to be playing with kids education.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

€20 would be great. i'd do it for €15 I've taught English one to one for a year. I got a C1 in english so i'm sure i can teach Maths. thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 pixiedoodle

I'm a 2nd yr medical student in Trinity n got an A1 twice in HL leaving cert maths and an A1 in applied maths after doing it for 9months. My only reason for thinking about giving grinds in maths is my lack of funds for college and all other jobs require too many hours for the course I'm doing. Maths was always my favourite subject & thats why I was considering it. All these comments seem very negative yet I have heard of loads of college students giving them. Anyone think it's a good idea???

• Advertisement

Its not a good or bad idea. Its up to you, but I'm just a bit concerned that the kids who you teach get good value for money. You aren't even studying maths atm and you don't have a degree. I know that's not the be all and end all, but for a lot of people it is. I decided to give grinds after my degree because I figured I knew as much as anyone with a Dip at that stage. Anyways if you do go ahead with it, 15-20 quid would be the best price I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Peleus wrote: »
    €20 would be great. i'd do it for €15 I've taught English one to one for a year. I got a C1 in english so i'm sure i can teach Maths. thanks guys.

Again like was said above I wouldn't be happy sending a student to a grind if the person was not a qualified teacher. A teacher has experience of exams, how to approach questions, has background knowledge on the subject and has possibly corrected exams. A college student will generally know the subject to LC level without any greater depth unless they have studied it in detail at college but even at that their teaching skills may not be great.

No offence Peleus, but a C1 while it's a good grade at LC level in my opinion is not good enough to be giving grinds in a subject where you have no other experience. I'm qualified to teach Ag Science, Chemistry and Biology, but I have not taught Biology for 7 years and would no way consider giving grinds in it, i'm not familiar enough with the paper or material currently. If you are a C student how is that going to benefit a student who might possibly want a higher grade? This isn't a personal attack but if you are doing an Engineering degree stick with the maths/physics area I reckon and make sure you are familiar with the papers and marking schemes.

The same goes for any other college student thinking of giving grinds, a LC student will expect the same level of service that they would get from a teacher giving grinds.

Well you have to add rainbowtrout that not all teachers are created equally and are often the reason students are going for grinds in the first place but this doesn't mean anyone should be teaching grinds, if anything it means grinds students should seek out the highest qualified/best referenced tutor they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Well you have to add rainbowtrout that not all teachers are created equally and are often the reason students are going for grinds in the first place but this doesn't mean anyone should be teaching grinds, if anything it means grinds students should seek out the highest qualified/best referenced tutor they can.

yes i would agree with you there, otherwise grinds wouldn't exist for the most part.. but generally you find that teachers that are giving grinds do know their subject and do know how to teach it, word of mouth can work both ways and if a grinds teacher is not good at what they are being paid for they won't get (much) work.

I guess if poor teaching/lack of understanding is the reason a student is looking for a grind they should get the best they can because they don't want to waste money and not learn anything or have to find another grind teacher because the first grind wasn't satisfactory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭KhanTheMan

Again like was said above I wouldn't be happy sending a student to a grind if the person was not a qualified teacher. A teacher has experience of exams, how to approach questions, has background knowledge on the subject and has possibly corrected exams. A college student will generally know the subject to LC level without any greater depth unless they have studied it in detail at college but even at that their teaching skills may not be great.

No offence Peleus, but a C1 while it's a good grade at LC level in my opinion is not good enough to be giving grinds in a subject where you have no other experience. I'm qualified to teach Ag Science, Chemistry and Biology, but I have not taught Biology for 7 years and would no way consider giving grinds in it, i'm not familiar enough with the paper or material currently. If you are a C student how is that going to benefit a student who might possibly want a higher grade? This isn't a personal attack but if you are doing an Engineering degree stick with the maths/physics area I reckon and make sure you are familiar with the papers and marking schemes.

The same goes for any other college student thinking of giving grinds, a LC student will expect the same level of service that they would get from a teacher giving grinds.

+1

But the most important thing is that a teacher has been trained to teach.

Advertisement