Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Black bikes - a dangerous colour? Show their age more?

• 24-09-2008 1:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭

Are black bikes involved in more crashes (not seen)
    Do the age more over the years?

I think its grey cars that are stats wise in the most accidents dont know about bikes.

Whats your opinion?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78 ✭✭mick-skyline

bikes are dangerous full stop, put your lights on and the car driver will have no excuse. imo black bikes hold thier age very well, theres a lovely black bros on biker.ie 91 but looks like new, would love to pick it up for myself

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Nothing we see here would show that black bikes are more dangerous. Stupid drivers (of bikes or cars, depending on who did what wrong) are what cause accidents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

bikes are dangerous full stop, put your lights on and the car driver will have no excuse. imo black bikes hold thier age very well, theres a lovely black bros on biker.ie 91 but looks like new, would love to pick it up for myself

Stick to your Skyline Mick, bikes are not dangerous. The assholes who run into them "because I didn't see him" are the danger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

Any effect of motorcycle color on accident involvement is not determinable from these data, but is expected to be insignificant because the frontal surfaces are most often presented to the other vehicle involved in the collision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78 ✭✭mick-skyline

KTRIC wrote: »
    Stick to your Skyline Mick, bikes are not dangerous. The assholes who run into them "because I didn't see him" are the danger.
    im sorry?? ive had bikes too and yes its the twats on the road that make them dangerous not the bike itself, but colour has nothing to do with it.

• Advertisement

bikes are dangerous full stop

ive had bikes too and yes its the twats on the road that make them dangerous not the bike itself

Make up your mind :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The thing is often they do see you.
    I've had cars in side-streets look at me, I can see them looking at me and hell, sometimes we make eye contact.

But they pull out anyway and they wave their as an apology when I slap on the brakes and then blow the horn.
    Dunno why, they wouldn't do it if I was driving an articulated lorry but they're happy to pull out in front of a bike

Maybe on some physcological level a bike = small = no danger

micmclo wrote: »

I totally agree. Its the normal standard response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

think you hit the nail on the head there. also,most cagers seem to have serious issues at judging the speed of an approaching bike,i've had no end of near misses with people pulling out in front of me while i've been approaching at speed,does my bloody head in.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

I've had cars in side-streets look at me, I can see them looking at me and hell, sometimes we make eye contact.

But they pull out anyway and they wave their as an apology when I slap on the brakes and then blow the horn.
    Dunno why, they wouldn't do it if I was driving an articulated lorry but they're happy to pull out in front of a bike

A bigger bike may be the answer so = more road presence and more damage to their car on impact.

I had a Dr 200 years ago and I had the chain lock wrapped around both mirror poles. Didnt have an issue then :-) as no car driver wanted a mad max situation with me.

Im thinking of getting a "please keep a distance" or "no tail gaiting pls" for my back box.

• Advertisement

It called a SMIDSY

Sorry Mate I Didnt See You - www.smidsy.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

I don't reckon it has any effect at all (the colour that is) first bike was a baby blue marauder (crap bike but good for a starter) then a fairly bright blue gs500e (which was robbed) then an older black gs500e (which admittedly someone did hit me on and break my leg - but I saw his face and he didn't even look out his front window at me so he wouldn't have seen what colour the bike was because he didn't look) - after that there was a navy bandit 600 & now I have a bright green kawasaki z1000 & a ktm superduke in bright orange & despite the amazing brightness of the z & duke, it seems even more idiots these days contrive not to see me &/or do see me and pull out anyway.
    I know it's a scumbag way to do things, but if a car intentionally pulls out in front of me I would generally kick the car, and if they nearly cause a crash I would find that would give me cause to remove a mirror with my boot (only done it once ever but it was surely deserved) - dangerous ignorant cVn+s.

Also the z aint small & the duke is taller than average so I don't reckon that they are bigger even makes a difference :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭agent_smith

Often times its the nut on the motorcycle, not the nut in the motorcycle.
    Its amazing how many 'near' misses can be avoided and are avoidable when decent rider training comes into the mix. I suppose the basis of good training is not just to improve your personal road craft but to better anticipate and read cagers ...
    Incidentally , I've gone back to wearing the high vis vest in the mornings and its amazing the amount of cars that start to back off....

Often times its the nut on the motorcycle, not the nut in the motorcycle.
    Its amazing how many 'near' misses can be avoided and are avoidable when decent rider training comes into the mix. I suppose the basis of good training is not just to improve your personal road craft but to better anticipate and read cagers ...
    Incidentally , I've gone back to wearing the high vis vest in the mornings and its amazing the amount of cars that start to back off....

+1
    High vis are the biz. Saved me a few times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Get a full viz jacket and a white helmet. If you look like a Garda on a bike the motorists will take notice. That's why motor bike instructors look like Gardas imo.

Reflective.JPG

3-Gardai-or-policeman-n-2-monkeys-dying-to-ride-the-bike.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭jim o doom

That works if your bike looks garda enough - I don't think I could pull it off on a green z :)
    that being said I think that the mantra high viz can lull someone into a false sense of security - I am more visible so there is much less chance of an idiot hitting me. I live by the rule that every other vehicle on the road is a potential idiot and watch them like a hawk - what if some idiot who simply doesn't look does something and hits you because you had lowered your attention levels due to being more comforable with how safe high viz makes you feel? I am not saying that this is definitely the case - but I feel safer in armoured leathers & I reckon my attention level remains the same - a piece of high viz would make me feel about as safe as a worm a hook making a diving journey in the land of fisheys tbh.

jim o doom wrote: »
    That works if your bike looks garda enough - I don't think I could pull it off on a green z :)
    that being said I think that the mantra high viz can lull someone into a false sense of security - I am more visible so there is much less chance of an idiot hitting me. I live by the rule that every other vehicle on the road is a potential idiot and watch them like a hawk - what if some idiot who simply doesn't look does something and hits you because you had lowered your attention levels due to being more comforable with how safe high viz makes you feel? I am not saying that this is definitely the case - but I feel safer in armoured leathers & I reckon my attention level remains the same - a piece of high viz would make me feel about as safe as a worm a hook making a diving journey in the land of fisheys tbh.

So you want to look like a cop :-) Im considering a white lid at the mo for that reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

worded wrote: »
    So you want to look like a cop :-) Im considering a white lid at the mo for that reason.

Good call, if you have the white bike to pull it off then get the hi-vis and the white helmet.

Wait until you filter through traffic, it'll be like the parting of the Red Sea :pac:

I wear the protective gear but I've an XL (to fit over the gear, that's not my size!) hi-vis cycling jacket. It's very warm. Wasn't cheap but one of the best cycling jackets around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,453 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Camelot wrote: »

Sweeet, wouldn't mind a twin as a backup to my triple :)

The paintwork area even on a faired bike is small enough, especially front-on. If they can see the side of the bike and you are moving, you will be gone before they can hit you :) lighting is far more important. Amazing the number of scooter riders especially who go around on dull or wet days with no lights at all, or just a sidelight.

There's an increasing number of numb-witted riders though who use main beam in the daytime (or a dip beam set so high, it might as well be.) Ignorant as hell, especially when they're behind another bike (cars can dip their mirrors on the move, I can't.) :mad:

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
Advertisement