Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Key stuck in my Kryptonite Lock

Options
  • 24-09-2008 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

Just bought it yesterday from wriggle and 2nd time I used it the key wont come out of the lock...just as well the bike wasnt locked at the time!

anybody have problems with there's as I have had a quick look around the net and seen that this is a fault with those locks. so now ive got an 80Euro door stopper until I return it for replacement.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Look on the bright side. At least your door won't swing shut.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I had a similar problem with my Trelock (the most expensive lock in the LBS, but which I've subsequently found is rubbish).

The key bent in the lock, because I used too much force. I carefully bent the key back (still in the lock) and fortunately it came out again. I now use the spare (only) key.

If it's stuck, lube it.
    It it's still stuck, freeze it.
    If that doesn't work, take it to a locksmith.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

... spray oil in there maybe??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Have you tried lobbing a bit of WD40 in there?
    abakan wrote: »
    Just bought it yesterday from wriggle and 2nd time I used it the key wont come out of the lock...just as well the bike wasnt locked at the time!

anybody have problems with there's as I have had a quick look around the net and seen that this is a fault with those locks. so now ive got an 80Euro door stopper until I return it for replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Happens to me with my kryptonite as well, best thing to do is to jiggle the key about while shaking the lock and it works it way out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

I think if you don't push it fully into the barrel it can still turn, but without being properly seated it gets a bit stuck. you really have to make sure you have it pushed in fully

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Key broke in my kryptonite too, why do they not make the keys from the same stuff as the locks!!

My U-lock had a sliding thing on the metal rod, you adjusted it with an allen key, this ensured the lock would not rattle with on a clamp on the frame, but it ended up putting too much pressure on the lock, meaning the key was hard to turn. See if there is a thing on the tube which could be looseded off, or actively push the U part into the locking part and try turning, (presuming it is a U-lock), and push the key in too and wriggle, to make sure if is fully inserted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Just contact Wiggle. That's what I did when I'd a problem with my New York Lock from Wiggle, also make sure that they confirm that they'll pay for postage, as An Post will cost €30+!

Its their problem if they're selling a defective product.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭abakan

Thanks all,

I have tried wriggle, jiggling, force, oil and sweat - its not budging.

Contacted wriggle and they siad that they would refund the money including postage if found faulty.
    It cant be anything be faulty.

Rubadub - ill try that later on, I havent tried loosen the sliding thing yet, i dont see how it would interfere with the locking mechism but you'd never know!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

72hundred wrote: »
    Just contact Wiggle. That's what I did when I'd a problem with my New York Lock from Wiggle, also make sure that they confirm that they'll pay for postage, as An Post will cost €30+!

Its their problem if they're selling a defective product.

MMMmm yeah but he can't post it if it's attached somewhere ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Which one do you have?, I've a "New York" one and the key slides in and out like silk, in fact i was impressed with how smooth and proffesional the whole thing is.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

MMMmm yeah but he can't post it if it's attached somewhere ...

D'oh! :p Bitta of a idiot moment there for me....

...wait. I have it, post 'em back the gate (or what ever its attached to) also!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

abakan wrote: »
    Rubadub - ill try that later on, I havent tried loosen the sliding thing yet, i dont see how it would interfere with the locking mechism but you'd never know!
    I have one like this
    999409.jpg
    The grey metal bit is what stops it shaking, it has a rubber ring at the end. I put mine down far to stop shaking and it made it harder to turn the key, and eventually I broke it before I got a chance to loosen it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Is this something to do with the mount? I just throw mine into the pannier as the mount looked crazy fiddly?

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭abakan

Yes it the same Rubadub as your's.

I didn work anyway, its nothing to do with that silver thing.
    Its deffo the key stuck in the lock, plain and simple and no amount of WD40 will get the lock moving again.
    Im out of idea's so its back to wriggle with it.

Advertisement