Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dave McSavage beaten up?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Silverfish wrote: »
    Seriously, if I stood around Grafton St roaring abuse at people, I'd expect a few slaps.
    And now we know you'd get them. Rejoice for this great nation we live in!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,285 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

davyjose wrote: »
    And now we know you'd get them. Rejoice for this great nation we live in!!!
    So you think him shouting abuse at everyone is acceptable then? (in the mythical circumstances)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I've had my nose broken in a bar for not letting someone have a chair (my mate was at the bar).

I'm genuinely sorry to hear that, as you were an innocent victim.

But DMS has been antagonizing people for years. I've heard him say some rotten stuff to bystanders, and get off with it. I wouldn't want to see him get seriously hurt, but I won't shed tears over him getting a few slaps.

We also don't know for certain if that was all that DMS said, or that there was not previous between them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

haha, after just checking a couple of youtube vids the guy can be very funny. But he does target random passers by, although it's nothing to sinister something like this was bound to happen eventually.

And yes, the one who jumped on his was a scumbag! It was a pretty good joke in fairness:)

Dodge wrote: »
    Is voilence the way to deal with his scumbaggery? Probably not. Is there anybody to blame for this bar McSavage? No...
    So it's McSavage's fault that this happened because he said something offensive? Not the guy who boxed him, because the automatic reaction is to bash someone; that's taken as given. We won't question the guy that did this, we'll question the guy with the loud mouth, not the brute who thinks with his fists?

Uless yer man genuinely felt his wife was under threat then what he did was inexcusable, because let's be honest, it was just his pride that caused him to do this. So ultimately, when someone's pride gets hurt, they can react however they like, is that right? What if this guy's pride gets hurt the next time you skip him in a queue at the bar?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

defending a woman's honour, yeah I'd throw a slap for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

I know it's AH, but I'm genuinely stunned at the general consensus that a guy getting beaten up in front of a crowd of people in the middle of the day is in any way condonable
    I'm sorry, but I can deal with Dave McSavage (and yeah - I agree he's sh!te), a lot more than these fcucking ar$eholes who go around throwing fists at anyone who looks sideways at them.
    I've had my nose broken in a bar for not letting someone have a chair (my mate was at the bar). Casual violence is waaay too common in this country, for me too cheer on some absolute knacker whose precious sensibilities were offended by a lanky guy with glasses.
    And half of you on here would be the first to comment on how the level of violence in this country is spiraling out of control. Tut tut folks,

Personally I think violence is a wonderful thing.

I just don't like it when it happens to innocent people.

McSavage is a tard. If you want to stand in a public space and shout things at people then you need to appreciate that your comment may not be appreciated. As already said here some of the things McSavage has come out with are appalling and I would happily drop him if he implied that I was a rapist or a child molestor, both things he has said to people in the past.

If he told me i was the type of thug who'd knock the head off some loud mouth cnut on the side of the road then he would be spot on.

So it's McSavage's fault that this happened because he said something offensive? Not the guy who boxed him, because the automatic reaction is to bash someone; that's taken as given. We won't question the guy that did this, we'll question the guy with the loud mouth, not the brute who thinks with his fists?

Uless yer man genuinely felt his wife was under threat then what he did was inexcusable, because let's be honest, it was just his pride that caused him to do this. So ultimately, when someone's pride gets hurt, they can react however they like, is that right? What if this guy's pride gets hurt the next time you skip him in a queue at the bar?
    OK seeing as we're making illogical assumptions, what if that woman was on the way home from having a miscarraige and McSavage called her a fat ****? Do you honestly think it would be that easy NOT to react violently at that heightened emotional state? Its as big a leap as the one you make about the same bloke hitting me for skipping him in a queue (somethign I shouldn't have done by the way)

I'll say again, voilence generally isn't the answer but if McSavage wasn't an arsehole nothing would've happened.

Dragan wrote: »
    I just don't like it when it happens to innocent people.

That's the problem though, we all have varying degrees of what "innocent" is, and I can guarantee that there are people in this world who use the very same reasoning for stabbing someone for skipping someone in line at the movies (it happens).
    If you're going to dole out bashings to people who offend you, where do you daw the line? "If he calls me a w4nker I'll let him off, but if he calls me a fcucking w4anker, he's dead!" How does it work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

If violence isn't the answer, what is?

People shouldn't have to stand there and take the public humiliation Should they call the gardai and tell them that someone has been making false claims about their character loosely disguised as comedy?

Why should someone have to take it on the chin and move on and forget about it?

Live by the sword, die by the sword.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

If you were told about a guy who has walked around Dublin for years, making fun of people to their faces, often saying really cruel, horrible things about them in front of a crowd, you'd say weirdo, and conclude that he deserves what he looks for.

But because he has somehow contrived to pass this off as comedy, and has achieved a utterly nominal "celebrity" for doing so, you think he shouldn't suffer the consequences of his actions?

He harasses people.

He got slapped.

Getting a dig is an unfortunate, but a logical consequence of what he does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭CPT. SURF

LOL at the people claiming this incident of violence says something negative about Ireland. If anything, Irish people are generally quite passive. The fact that it took this long for this to happen backs that up somewhat.

Calling people rapists and child molesters. If he had been doing that sort of shyte in the States somebody would have probably put a bullet in his back by now.

If you're going to dole out bashings to people who offend you, where do you daw the line?
    I told you above (and even then I don't think I'd resort to voilence). I just think people calling the guy who attacked Mcsavage a scumbag are forgetting that McSavage himself is a scumbag and can have no complaints about any treatment he received (even if it wouldn't be the way most of us would deal with it)

OK seeing as we're making illogical assumptions.
    :confused:
    What if that woman was on the way home from having a miscarraige and McSavage called her a fat ****? Do you honestly think it would be that easy NOT to react violently at that heightened emotional state?
    I don't think violence would be acceptable in that case either man. Sorry. I can understand why someone would feel intensely angered, absolutely, but unless someone is violently inclined, I can't see how that would be their first reaction. Maybe that's naive, but it's my opinion. Bad stuff happens all the time to people - if we all were like that, it'd be a pretty dangerous world
    Its as big a leap as the one you make about the same bloke hitting me for skipping him in a queue.
    That was just a hypothesis. It does happen.

SheroN wrote: »
    If violence isn't the answer, what is?

People shouldn't have to stand there and take the public humiliation Should they call the gardai and tell them that someone has been making false claims about their character loosely disguised as comedy?

Why should someone have to take it on the chin and move on and forget about it?

Live by the sword, die by the sword.

They really, REALLY don't have to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

stovelid wrote: »
    Getting a dig is an unfortunate, but a logical consequence of what he does.

I don't think that excuses it, lots of people get a dig because someone takes exception to the way they look, or the way they dress, so it would be safe to say that this is a consequence of the way they may dress. I know it's not the same as provoking a reaction in the way McSavage does, but just because there are consequences that we all understand may happen, I don't believe it justifies the end.

Like I said, I'm not in the least bit surprised by it, I'm just not going to sit here and congratulate scumbaggery. Two wrongs and all that.

It would seem the Ayes have it. And I can understand why. Personally though, it turns my stomach to see public displays of violence, moreso than it does to see public displays of crap comedy.
    I doubt anyone has been burned more than once by the guy, so it's not like he's bullying anyone. That guy didn't give a sh!t that McSavage has been at this for years; he was offended, once, and he snapped.

As Karl Hungus said ... two wrongs etc.

Dave

They really, REALLY don't have to.

Still, it can be pretty humiliating. You can either stand there and take it or walk shamefully away. Either way you shouldn't have to put up with it. Other than violence how else do you stop someone like Mc Savage? Ask him nicely to refrain from abusing people?

As Karl Hungus said ... two wrongs etc.
    Dave

Agreed. Though I think the more pertinent point here is that if you consistently do wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong....You are going to attract some wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

I must say that if he was attacked then it shouldn't really come as a surprise.

I'm going to say something that very few people here will agree with:
    Dave McSavage is very, very funny. He's not as funny/smart/talented as he thinks but he is a very talented and amusing comedian.

The problem is simple, I've seen him on the streets and in comedy venues. His act crosses most lines. That's what he's all about. I've gone to see him, fully aware of how unpleasant his act is. Because he does it well. I would say, firstly, that I do notlike him, he's an unpleasant odious man, but he can be a comedic genius.

However, there is absolutely no way that his act should be allowed in public. It is offensive, aggressive and can be unacceptable. (As in, if I had kids (God forbid atm :P) I wouldn't want them to see it.) He should long since have been publically censured for his conduct.

I can't condone violence, but I'm not surprised. The problem is, some people think with their fists too soon. Perhaps though, for McSavage he'll learn a lesson from this, but I'd still prefer it to be non-violent.

Oh and as they say, karma. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

Aw :( Someone got there before me? I wanted to beat the cr@p outta him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

SheroN wrote: »
    Still, it can be pretty humiliating. You can either stand there and take it or walk shamefully away. Either way you shouldn't have to put up with it. Other than violence how else do you stop someone like Mc Savage? Ask him nicely to refrain from abusing people?

Tell him he's an overrated comedian and his lack of awards and recognition by his peers is indicative of the levels he has failed to achieve. (Seen a comedian do this, much hilarity ensued)

Tell him he's an overrated comedian and his lack of awards and recognition by his peers is indicative of the levels he has failed to achieve. (Seen a comedian do this, much hilarity ensued)

Wow that is quite cutting! Especially for an ego-tripper like Savage

Yea that would be a decent come back. But there's very few people who are going to try 'out funny' Mc Savage on a croweded street when he's laying into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

I saw him at the Smithwicks festival, I had heard about him but that was my first time seeing him. He was crap. He had a song about Vagina's that just wasnt funny.

Bear in mind that we had been laughing our asses off right up until then!

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

Excellent! Just dont mess up on the word "indicative"

That guy didn't give a sh!t that McSavage has been at this for years; he was offended, once, and he snapped.

You don't know that...

Circumstances do play a part.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭LeoGilly

Pity there's no video!! He does have a profile on youtube. You could always send him and good luck message or "I told you so" message.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

Look tbh, McSavage getting a slap is like someone winning a Darwin award.

You put yourself in the position where you're knowingly at risk and eventually those circumstances, you created, are going to bite you in the ass. If you don't have the brains to see that as a likely outcome than you pretty much deserve it.

Tough sh1t McSavage. I'd personally buy whoever decked you a pint.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 427 ✭✭GKidd

He could have sold tickets had he been pre-warned

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement