Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dave McSavage beaten up?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

GKidd wrote: »
    He could have sold tickets had he been pre-warned

Yeah I'd pay to finally see him doing something comedic especially if the routine involved him bouncing his head of someone's fist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

davyjose wrote: »
    :confused: I don't think violence would be acceptable in that case either man. Sorry. I can understand why someone would feel intensely angered, absolutely, but unless someone is violently inclined, I can't see how that would be their first reaction. Maybe that's naive, but it's my opinion. Bad stuff happens all the time to people - if we all were like that, it'd be a pretty dangerous world
    That was just a hypothesis. It does happen.
    McSavage is about as funny as a stick.

Slapstick humor. Its classic dont knock it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

I'm suprised it's taken this long for him to get a beating to be honest. All the same I don't agree with what the guy did.

If the toolbox that was thrown at McSavage made him duck out of the way and knock into a guy with a ladder, who swung around and hit him in the head sending him flying into a badly placed scaffold causing a plank to turn over and drop a bucket of white wash all over his head so he was momentarily blinded and couldn't see the conveniently placed duckpond that he fell into before surfacing and blowing a stream of water out of his mouth with an unruffled duck sitting on his head, we'd all think it was funny.

Just because this guy used his fists. :rolleyes:

Clare Bear wrote: »
    I'm suprised it's taken this long for him to get a beating to be honest. All the same I don't agree with what the guy did.
    Typical liberal aghenda. Go on. Blame the victim

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

CDfm wrote: »

I said what the guy did was wrong. I'm just suprised it's taken this long for it to happen because I've seen him piss a lot of people off and have seen myself one guy in particular come very close to hitting him in the past. I never said it was the right thing to do. But I was expecting it to happen at some stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭CPT. SURF

CDfm wrote: »

In my experience the first person to mention an 'agenda' is the individual in possession

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Responding with violence is never right unless you were met with violence. At least in my book.

I know we'd all love to give McSavage a thump, but it's just not right.

Responding with violence is never right unless you were met with violence. At least in my book.

Thinking about what is right and wrong is a dangerous business. It is also a man made concept that does not exist in nature.

Clare Bear wrote: »
    I said what the guy did was wrong. I'm just suprised it's taken this long for it to happen because I've seen him piss a lot of people off and have seen myself one guy in particular come very close to hitting him in the past. I never said it was the right thing to do. But I was expecting it to happen at some stage.

i was being ambiguos -sorry you misunderstood.

Ive seen his act before in Temple Bar and was with my kids. If he had picked on me the same way he picked on the guy and his family that crossed the square that day he would have got a slap.So the odds of it happening some time were quite high.

McSavages act is not a victimless crime - he ridicules and provokes-and its amazing his street performance licence hasnt been revoked which it should be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

Please explain why it is wrong without giving your own moral opinions.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

so let me get this straight, this whole thread is about a dubious email from the OP's ma that no-one has any reason to believe is actually true?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

copacetic wrote: »
    so let me get this straight, this whole thread is about a dubious email from the OP's ma that no-one has any reason to believe is actually true?
    Yep, I was about to launch back in here and ask that.
    Someone earlier seemed to corroborate what I said though, admittedly they said it was from the Sun...?

I'm surprised my 'did this actually happen' has turned into 'does he deserve a slap?'

(though yes, i think he does)

copacetic wrote: »
    who do you think you are casting aspersions on anyones ma

ye deserve a good slap for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Well I heard dempsey on about it this morning and straight away thought we will all have to have a whip around and get degsy an iPhone so he can post from the joy.

Did a few searches this morn and nothing showed up. :(

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Igy wrote: »
    I'm surprised my 'did this actually happen' has turned into 'does he deserve a slap?'

hmmm, Igy, here since '01 and that surprises you? I think not!

CPT. SURF wrote: »
    Thinking about what is right and wrong is a dangerous business. It is also a man made concept that does not exist in nature.

Erm... Yeah, I'm happy with our moral system myself. :pac:
    4Xcut wrote: »
    Please explain why it is wrong without giving your own moral opinions.

*shrugs* If you insult someone you want them to deck you, or insult you back?

Attacking someone who said something mean is assault. And the judge won't go, ah sure, he was mean to you, you can go home. In fact, given who McSavage is, you'd probably get fúcked by the system. ^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Dodge wrote: »
    OK seeing as we're making illogical assumptions, what if that woman was on the way home from having a miscarraige and McSavage called her a fat ****? Do you honestly think it would be that easy NOT to react violently at that heightened emotional state? Its as big a leap as the one you make about the same bloke hitting me for skipping him in a queue (somethign I shouldn't have done by the way)

I'll say again, voilence generally isn't the answer but if McSavage wasn't an arsehole nothing would've happened.

Absolutely.
    Look at it like this:
    McSavage's abuse = arguably a lot of emotional hurt/annoyance over the years to a lot of people.

This incident= a few slaps that he'll recover from, but hopefully will shock him enough to to quit.
    He didn't kill the guy FFS.

McSavage is going to recover physically, but if the emotional effects of such a (minor) beating are the only way of making him stop, how bad.

Love the way physical violence, no matter how minor, is like an absolute no-no, but emotional abuse/violence is just dismissed as nothing.

*shrugs* If you insult someone you want them to deck you, or insult you back?

Attacking someone who said something mean is assault. And the judge won't go, ah sure, he was mean to you, you can go home. In fact, given who McSavage is, you'd probably get fúcked by the system. ^^

You still have not answered why it is morally wrong. You have asked what I would like a person to do if I were in DMS's position. You go on to say that attacking someone is assault, essentially you have just given a synonym.

You finish by saying that given that DMS is a certain someone's brother(let's not drag his name into it for those who don't know) that a judge would have a biased view. How does our court system being corrupt show how hitting him was wrong in this situation.

You could argue that the wrong done to DMS was greater than the enjoyment that his attacker got - fair enough. One could argue that the enjoyment for society as a whole out weighs DMS getting a slap(Utilitarianists would be in this camp)

slideways wrote: »
    Did a few searches this morn and nothing showed up. :(

That's because McSavage is great at getting rid of anything that embarrasses him. Such as, a sense of pride, family name, any sort of worthwhile gigs, repeats of certain shows etc etc.

• Advertisement

Our moral system? Ha. The only "moral system" (whatever the f$$k that is supposed to mean) that exists is the one inside your head.

You will realize this the day some scumbag punches you in the face for no reason at all.

You still have not answered why it is morally wrong. You have asked what I would like a person to do if I were in DMS's position. You go on to say that attacking someone is assault, essentially you have just given a synonym.

You finish by saying that given that DMS is a certain someone's brother(let's not drag his name into it for those who don't know) that a judge would have a biased view. How does our court system being corrupt show how hitting him was wrong in this situation.

You could argue that the wrong done to DMS was greater than the enjoyment that his attacker got - fair enough. One could argue that the enjoyment for society as a whole out weighs DMS getting a slap(Utilitarianists would be in this camp)

Aight, you told me not to bring morality into it. :P

I think hitting someone is wrong. End of funking story. Unless they hit you first that is. If someone insults you, either ignore it, or insult them back. A guy like him (DMS) knows he's doing his job right if someone's that offended.

The comments about our judicial system were entirely tongue in cheek. ;)
    Our moral system? Ha. The only "moral system" (whatever the f$$k that is supposed to mean) that exists is the one inside your head.

You will realize this the day some scumbag punches you in the face for no reason at all.

Tbh a scumbag hitting you is proof that we have a moral system. By acting in such a way, it's been proven to you that there's a necessity for a moral system. What shocks you is how badly it was breached. If it didn't exist, everyone could go around hitting anyone.

Tbh a scumbag hitting you is proof that we have a moral system. By acting in such a way, it's been proven to you that there's a necessity for a moral system. What shocks you is how badly it was breached. If it didn't exist, everyone could go around hitting anyone.

No, what shocks the human being in that case is the realization that he/she is living in a world that is indifferent to their hopes/cares/morals. You are just describing the wishes of an individual who has chosen to ignore reality and wants to implement his/her values on a valueless world.

We may be better of if a moral system did exist, but when you say that it is a necessity you are simply fighting against the above realization.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭Heckler

If I walked past him and he called my girlfriend a fat bitch or whatever I'd gladly give him a slap. And I actually mean an open handed slap to the face. Research has shown that an open handed slap rather than a punch has a lot more emotional effect. Some bollix about it having a regressive childhood reaction.

Then I would take his guitar and smash it off the ground.

Some people deserve a slap/punch. Peaceniks be damned. Its not like he was beaten to death or anything.

Aight, you told me not to bring morality into it. :P

I think hitting someone is wrong. End of funking story. Unless they hit you first that is. If someone insults you, either ignore it, or insult them back. A guy like him (DMS) knows he's doing his job right if someone's that offended.

The comments about our judicial system were entirely tongue in cheek. ;)

Fair Enough - I happen to think convesely that there are plenty of times when violence is the answer.

No, what shocks the human being in that case is the realization that he/she is living in a world that is indifferent to their hopes/cares/morals. You are just describing the wishes of an individual who has chosen to ignore reality and wants to implement his/her values on a valueless world.

We may be better of if a moral system did exist, but when you say that it is a necessity you are simply fighting against the above realization.

Optimism ftw. ;)
    Fair Enough - I happen to think convesely that there are plenty of times when violence is the answer.

Agree to disagree? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

Cant believe the reaction to this ...the guy is funny ...not saying hes the best in the world or anything but he sure livens up Temple Bar on a Saturday afternoon ...He's a very welcome part of Dublin street culture in my opinion .Ok so he crosses the line a bit sometimes.I read most of this thread but did anybody actually 100% accurately confirm what was so bad he said that provoked the guy ...

Optimism ftw. ;)

So it would seem but the opposite is true. The abandonment of thinking about how things should or ought to be is incredibly liberating and ultimately positive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

So it would seem but the opposite is true. The abandonment of thinking about how things should or ought to be is incredibly liberating and ultimately positive.
    You the same poster that was in defending him in the Thunderdome thread ( which was fricking awesome - and deleted :()

• Advertisement

slideways wrote: »
    You the same poster that was in defending him in the Thunderdome thread ( which was fricking awesome - and deleted :()

Not I, said the fly

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement