Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

driver side window not coming down?

Options
  • 24-09-2008 2:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭

HI went to work yesterday and driver side window was working fine. Came out at 12 last nite and it would not come down,passenger side is working fine and its controlled from drivers side.
    also electric mirrors are not working either side.
    just rang mechanic who will diagnose it in morning but thought it sounded like window regulator.
    it aint a fuse because the windows are covered by circuit breakers that reset automatically after a few mins.
    car is audi a4 03.
    any ideas?
    how much would regulator cost ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Whatever you do, stop fiddling with the switch.
    You don't want the window to go down and then get stuck open :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭audismelly

peasant wrote: »
    Whatever you do, stop fiddling with the switch.
    You don't want the window to go down and then get stuck open :D

thats a good point ,i aint laughing though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭charlesD

If it is not doing anything at all, then it could very well just be the switch. This is fairly easy to test with a multi-meter, but you would have to remove the window controls, which isn't terribly difficult, but requires some mechanical knowledge.

If it was the regulator, usually, you would have noticed it struggling to move the window up, before it all out stopped on you.

If you are not going to check it yourself, make sure you are taking it to a trusted mechanic, because the difference in price for the labor between a new switch and a new regulator is pretty substantial.

charlesD wrote: »
    If it is not doing anything at all, then it could very well just be the switch. This is fairly easy to test with a multi-meter, but you would have to remove the window controls, which isn't terribly difficult, but requires some mechanical knowledge.

If it was the regulator, usually, you would have noticed it struggling to move the window up, before it all out stopped on you.

If you are not going to check it yourself, make sure you are taking it to a trusted mechanic, because the difference in price for the labor between a new switch and a new regulator is pretty substantial.

ok thanks for that, yeah mechanic i know well, just the electric windows are not working , maybe there connected?

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭5T3PH3N

We used to have an 02 A4, and the driver side window stopped working suddenly too but I think it just started working again after a while.Seems to be a common problem with them.

• Advertisement

5T3PH3N wrote: »
    We used to have an 02 A4, and the driver side window stopped working suddenly too but I think it just started working again after a while.Seems to be a common problem with them.

jesus did it take long? very strange

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭5T3PH3N

I can't really remember tbh it was about 2 years ago. It did happen a few times so u best get it fixed asap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭bostoncommon

its not the window reg. The Audi's let water in around the window seal this gives trouble to the switches.

its not the window reg. The Audi's let water in around the window seal this gives trouble to the switches.

no was at mechanic,not window regulator.
    cant see any evidence of water been let in,mechanic is taking off panel saturday,il pass on all info,cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

it's a comon problem. try pulling the switch back towards you when pulling the switch up. same when pushing down.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    it's a comon problem. try pulling the switch back towards you when pulling the switch up. same when pushing down.

cheers il try in morn, no power at all though.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

audismelly wrote: »
    cheers il try in morn, no power at all though.
    Colm's point is that the reason that there is no power is because the switch may be faulty, and that doing as he suggests may cause the switch to make contact and give power!

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote: »
    Colm's point is that the reason that there is no power is because the switch may be faulty, and that doing as he suggests may cause the switch to make contact and give power!

yeah well we did try that ,maybe not with as much force as colm said. the switch for the electrics windows is different to the switch for the mirrors...........?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Sorry, missed the bit about the mirrors! :o

Not your ornery onager

esel wrote: »
    Sorry, missed the bit about the mirrors! :o

not a bother, wiil post after saturdays findings

Hi al
    left car to mechanic at 10 this morning. got it at five.
    Rang him at 3 and he said he found broken wires when he took off panel and that i was lucky he found them so quick,normally could take day or 2 to find.so he wired them all up and everything is working A1.
    im thrilled it was only a relatively minor thing as a thought motor may have been gone or sumthing.
    .he just charged me 80 e so i left him 110. a pure gent. imagine going 2 an audi dealer with this?
    good to know there s good honest mechanics out there still.

Advertisement