Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Garage Warranty

Options
  • 24-09-2008 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭

Lads just about to buy a second hand car (privately) that still has a warranty. I just rang the garage and they said the warranty cannot be changed to my name i.e. it ends once it is sold to me.

Doesn't sound right to me. Any idead?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

screw that bs, walk on and take your cash else where, its not as if there are just 10s of cars to chose from around Ireland right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

Try looking at the Terms on the main manufacturer site...what type car is it?
    As far as I know car warranty is Transferable...to new owners..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭dubmick

it's an Audi with a warranty from Toyota in Rathgar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Don't see what the problem is... I had to handle a similar problem for a customer recently who was driving a Nissan that was still under manufacturers warranty and ended up in my indy garage. There was a recall on the car but she wasn't notified about it as she bought the car second hand privately and the original owner was on Nissan records as the current owner, which was no longer the case as he had sold it privately to my customer who was now the current owner.

Anyway, Nissan were very happy to sort out her problem under warranty, even though they had no record of her. They just updated the owner details on the Nissan warranty system and sorted her out free of charge for something that would have been around 600 Euro to resolve otherwise...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,932 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Hotwheels wrote: »
    Try looking at the Terms on the main manufacturer site...what type car is it?
    As far as I know car warranty is Transferable...to new owners..

Its not the manufacturers warranty; its a garage one (likely a WarrantyDirect or similar 'insured' warranty scheme).

Manufacturers warranty transfers, garage ones I doubt have to.

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    Its not the manufacturers warranty; its a garage one (likely a WarrantyDirect or similar 'insured' warranty scheme).

Manufacturers warranty transfers, garage ones I doubt have to.

Yeah, I suppose it you look at this from the perspective of the warranty provider, a vehicle sale just represents an opportunity to get rid of a potential liability at the stroke of a pen...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Bizzare one, it should not matter to the garage who the warranty is registered with, it is the car that is covered for the duration in any event.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Bizzare one, it should not matter to the garage who the warranty is registered with, it is the car that is covered for the duration in any event.

Yeah but they'll sneak it into the terms & conditions that in the even of a change of ownership, the warranty on the vehicle will die a death. It's really the person who the warranty attaches itself to in respect of one particular vehicle.

It's a sweet move by the warranty company if you think about it. The person taking out the warranty is no worse off because if they sell the car, they don't care what goes wrong with it. The warranty company has been paid for the warranty but can just off load the liability off their books now as per the small print but still have the sale from the transaction.

Is there a market for transferrable warranties in the private sale/second hand market do you think???

bazz26 wrote: »

I think the warranty is supplied by a third party company and not by the garage, in most cases anyway...

Advertisement