Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Old 7-Series Car Phone

Options
  • 24-09-2008 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    I'm returning to Ireland in a couple of months and wanna buy a 728. I'm just curious if the phones in them actually work, if you can put a duplicate sim in them or anything. I know there's no need for them, but I'm a sucker for a gadget, and I want to look important in a 'Trading Places' type of way on my car phone :pac:

Did a brief google search but came up blank.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,447 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

You won't look important using that yoke ;)

And Iwouldn't recommend a 728 - you'll save yourself a few euro in tax, but it is underpowered in a car like that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

zuutroy wrote: »
    Hey,
    I'm returning to Ireland in a couple of months and wanna buy a 728. I'm just curious if the phones in them actually work, if you can put a duplicate sim in them or anything. I know there's no need for them, but I'm a sucker for a gadget, and I want to look important in a 'Trading Places' type of way on my car phone :pac:

Did a brief google search but came up blank.

Depends on if its GSM or old analog ...

You'll look well stupid using it though, seeing as its not hands free and hence cannot be used while driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

not surprised given your sig! I've looked at your ad before and would love it but between the extra tax, insurance and petrol I don't think I could stretch to it. I'm not really bothered about not having much power. I'm not usually in a rush :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

728i is a fine drive, and has surprising poke given its size. Of all the E38s it's the one I would go for, 01 or later Sport Model with M-Parallel wheels, nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Something like this: :D

DSC05234.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

bazz26 wrote: »
    Something like this: :D

DSC05234.jpg

lol!:D:D:D

craichoe wrote: »
    Depends on if its GSM or old analog ...

They're GSM

295317_20060919010903_14.jpg
    craichoe wrote: »
    You'll look well stupid using it though, seeing as its not hands free and hence cannot be used while driving.

It's not even wireless. And yes it looks a bit like that, Bazz :D

Most people have removed them at this stage as they just look embarrassing. It's a DIY job and the replacement cover is cheap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

If it's GSM as in the above post it should work, just put an Irish SIM in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

unkel wrote: »
    Most people have removed them at this stage as they just look embarrassing.

No way, 80's style ftw. Just running the numbers on your car..you may get a call in November if its still available ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I kept the phone my old Merc 190 as it had deffo retro cool.

Mike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,932 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'd never remove one if I had one, probably even get a specific number for the car (not sure if SIMs can be cloned these days easily anyway?) for serious retro-chic :D

zuutroy wrote: »
    No way, 80's style ftw.

05.jpg

:D:D:D

Advertisement