Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Book Club

• 24-09-2008 3:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

Afternoon all,

Does anyone know if there are any book clubs in Waterford City?

Or, if not - would anyone be interested in one?

I've long thought of setting something like this up - meeting once a month kind of thing but don't know if there is the interest.

Any details would be much appreciated

Thank you

xxx Kate

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

depends on what sort of books you would be discussing, might be interested....

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭racram

Hi,
    You should check out the local library's. I think one book club is ran from the Ardkeen library.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭DefenseSoapEire

you could try putting up a notice in the library.
    what kind of books are you going to discuss?
    best of luck with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 kitten_bar

I hear there may be one in Ardkeen library already - does anyone have any details?

As for books to talk about - generally I think we'd start with books topical to the time - so Booker prize nominees or other award nominees, books in the media etc. once it's up and running we could discuss what people would like to read - everyone gets a go at suggesting.

It could really open people up to new genres - I feel that you'd really be limiting yourself if you say 'I'll only go if it's X type of books' the whole point of reading (beyond the simple enjoyment) is about expanding your knowledge and your frame of reference... everything is worth a look at... once anyway!

I will look into this if there are enough interested. Even just a monthly thing - PM me or post if you think you'd like to get involved.

Thanks

xxKate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,604 ✭✭✭deisemum

Here's a link to the book clubs at Ardkeen Library

http://www.waterfordcity.ie/library/bookclub.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Any chance of maybe getting a waterford boards book club forum?

Mods?:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 lisa6360

Hey, are you still considering this? I've been desperate to meet with other book lovers since I moved here, so this would be perfect for me. I live in New Ross and I don't drive, but as long as it isn't held too late in the evening, I can get in by bus easy enough.

I also have a friend here who's been going on at me about starting a book club, which I wasn't confident enough to do, so I know she'll also be very interested. Oh, and she drives, so if she can make it, the transport issue is solved. :)

Let me know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

i'd be on for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

http://www.waterford-today.ie/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4359&Itemid=1&ed=425
    Book Clubs at Central Library!

Waterford City Council Central Library has book clubs for adults, teenagers and children which meet on a regular basis. If you or anyone you know are interested in joining a book club contact Central Library on 051 849975.

Advertisement