Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kahles Scopes or similar??

Options
  • 24-09-2008 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

One of my hunting buddies is getting into deer stalking and next year wants to get a rifle. He was asking me about the Zeiss scope I chose for my brothers rifle and how much it cost. The price shocked him.

So I was trying to think of scopes similar to the Zeiss, S&B fixed mag style scopes but not quite as expensive. How much are Kahles scopes in comparison?

Does anyone know some place that sells Kahles scopes on-line (preferably in Europe)?

Can anyone recommend another brand of scope similar to the above (without quite as much of a price tag). Fixed mag or low range mag (3-12 etc) with fixed parallax for simplicity.

Veg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Hi Veg,
    What you pay is what you get in scopes as in life I guess.The old adage about buying the best scope you can afford and use the change for the rifle is still true.If he is serious about deer hunting/target shooting and wants to have one scope for life,you are better spending on a brand name that is reliable and you wont have to ever buy another.

Anyways,Karl Kahles scopes are made in Vienna,Austria.They are the issued scopes on the Austrian army/police Steyr SSG 69 rifle. They are as good as Zeiss,S&B ,Unertel, Hendsolt,Swarovoski scopes.IOW they aint much cheaper than Zeiss.:eek::eek:

There is a company called IOR in Hungary,that makes what looks like good copies of Hendsolt I belive.Might be worth a google.

In the EU ,try Frankonia,Kettner,AKAH,and there a couple of UK dealers who advertise in Gun mart who do these brands.What you could do is try and see if they have any secon hand units,or try Egun.Somtimes they do appear there as well,but will still go for high money.[1K +/-].Doctor Optics is another good brand or so I've heard.

So tell us,what Zeiss scope did you get for your Steyr,and what cross hair pattern?Get it locally or....?:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

Vegeta wrote: »
    Hey folks,

One of my hunting buddies is getting into deer stalking and next year wants to get a rifle. He was asking me about the Zeiss scope I chose for my brothers rifle and how much it cost. The price shocked him.

So I was trying to think of scopes similar to the Zeiss, S&B fixed mag style scopes but not quite as expensive. How much are Kahles scopes in comparison?

Does anyone know some place that sells Kahles scopes on-line (preferably in Europe)?

Can anyone recommend another brand of scope similar to the above (without quite as much of a price tag). Fixed mag or low range mag (3-12 etc) with fixed parallax for simplicity.

Veg

Vegeta do you know if your friend has a budget if so how much ??

East Coast gun and dog in wexford I think are agents for Kahles here, it might be worth giving them a ring.
    http://www.eastcoastdogandgun.ie/

Or you could try a schmidt and bender from optics warehouse.
    http://opticswarehouse.co.uk/products.asp?cat=258

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

Vegeta check this out, its from the uk. Not cheap doe

http://www.breconretail.co.uk/kahles-scopes--binoculars-33-c.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Hi Veg,
    So tell us,what Zeiss scope did you get for your Steyr,and what cross hair pattern?Get it locally or....?:D

Thanks for the info Grizz much appreciated as always.

The lad i know wants it solely for deer, he couldn't give 2 sh1tes about target shooting.

We got a 7x50 fixed mag scope with illuminated reticle, cant remember the number offhand but god do I love that scope. it is soooo clear and the contrast is very very good

Jesus I didn't think the Kahles scopes were that expensive :(

He has a budget of about 400-500 leaning towards the lower end I'd say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

Vegeta wrote: »
    Hey folks,

Veg

i know of a 6x42 zeiss and S,B for 350 euro VG nick.kahles is a very good scope wright up there with the top three ,but i would shoot open sighted before i would buy one from the new irish agent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

The high end Bushnells and Nikons wouldn't be bad either. Leupold is supposed to be good as well.The downside though when you buy one of these really good ones is that for a little bit more you can buy something excellent style Kahles, Zeiss, S&B, etc etc... .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Had a trawl thru Egun. Top end brands like Zeiss,Kahles S&B.Even 2nd hand are bidding around the 1000 plus Euro mark.Without mounts!!
    Swarovski,which is the "poor mans Zeiss" There is a private sale for a Swaroviski Habicht 8X56 NOVA for 450 Euros.The sight is a type 4 [3 blunt post,fine cross hair.]thats about the bestI've seen for the monies you friend had in mind Veg.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭tiny-nioclas

I just got a zeiss conquest from these guys, there the cheapest on the net, very good service,it delivered in 4 days from the US and they will register it as a used item so you escape extra taxing if you ask them,

http://www.act-optics.com/info.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Thanks for the info folks, really appreciate it I will pass it on to my friend and see what he says

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭J. Ramone

I just got a zeiss conquest from these guys, there the cheapest on the net, very good service,it delivered in 4 days from the US and they will register it as a used item so you escape extra taxing if you ask them,

http://www.act-optics.com/info.html

A friend recently bought a conquest 3-9 x 50. They can be bought for 500 USD.

Compared it with my Diavari V 3-9 x 42 at last light and I was really impressed. The conquest was as clear with both at 6 power. If I were starting from scratch, I would go with the conquest and use the savings to up my bino budget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭shaft666

A friend of mine imported a Kahles from the states and saved a lot of money (50%) on UK price, I have used it and have to say the quality is first class.

Paul

Advertisement