Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ladies Hybrid Bike - Thinking of a Giant model?

• 24-09-2008 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi,

I'm thinking of purchasing a Hybid bike for commuting to and from work.

My budget is around the €450 mark.

I have a few questions:
    - What are the benefits of buying a bike specifically for women - are there any benefits based on body size/proportions or is it just for wearing skirts while cycling. If so, I will just purchase a regular hybrid
    - What Giant models would you recommend for my needs - there seem to be so many on the websites it's almost confusing.
    - What is your opinion on the following bike http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=0&idproduct=23600

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Depends on your exact dimensions, but it is critical that you feel comfortable on the bike.

Bikes are generally sized by inside leg (inseam). But women have relatively short arms, and longer legs (this second point is debatable, but it's correct in my experience - maybe I'm just lucky).

This means that you will tend to be very stretched out on a road bike not designed specifically for women, even if you can get a frame that suits your leg size.

You can compensate somewhat with a shorter handlebar stem, but only up to a point.

If you go with a traditional ladies bike with no top tube it will tend to be heavier because the top-tube is an efficient way of achieving stiffness.

Think about your need for mudguards/racks - if you need these you're better off buying a frame to which these can bolt on.

If you don't ride currently, you may need to budget for a fair bit of additional gear - helmet, lights, lock, pump etc. These can be add up. If the bike is going to be left on a public street, there is an argument for getting something tatty-looking but well-maintained, e.g. buy an old bike, get it fixed up and it'll end up costing you less.

This looks interesting:

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=72042&cat=all

(if you don't take it I might make a cheeky offer)

And the wicker basket adds extra humiliation for anyone you overtake :)

Lots of info on t'web, e.g.

http://www.myra-simon.com/bike/womens-fit.html
    http://www.wombats.org/tips.html

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Tritrier

Thanks for the reply

I have cycled in triathlons all season (my first season!) but borrowed a road bike for that - so I have a few things like helmet, pumps etc.. I want to commute in the city and don't want the hassle of cleats etc. I will probably invest in my own road bike in late spring next year if I continue with tri.

I'm quite small (5ft 2.5") and my legs are quite short (unfortunately for me!;)) but I think I will just go to one of the cycle shops and get measured properly for the bike. I was just looking for some general advice on ladies bikes and the Giant models that I am looking at.

Regarding getting an old bike and doing it up, I will be storing my bike indoors at home and at work so there will be no problems there with theft etc. I probably wouldn't be interested in doing up an old bike... just not my thing. So, go ahead and put an offer on that high nelly on adverts.ie. It's all yours!

Thanks.

Cool - I've always wanted something with a wicker basket :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Tritrier wrote: »

I have a few questions:
    - What are the benefits of buying a bike specifically for women - are there any benefits based on body size/proportions or is it just for wearing skirts while cycling.

The main difference is the saddle because of anatomical differences in the sit bones. Get a women specific saddle and you should be fine with a standard hybrid.

Thanks that's really useful to know - do you have any particular advice on the model of bike I am thinking of getting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Thanks that's really useful to know - do you have any particular advice on the model of bike I am thinking of getting?

The Trek 7.x models seem to be pretty popular with the hybrid fans. Also the Specialized Crossroads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 388 ✭✭scaryfairy

Hi,

I'm thinking of purchasing a Hybid bike for commuting to and from work.

My budget is around the €450 mark.

I have a few questions:
    - What are the benefits of buying a bike specifically for women - are there any benefits based on body size/proportions or is it just for wearing skirts while cycling. If so, I will just purchase a regular hybrid

hi Tritrier,
    I have always used gents bikes, mostly hybrids for commuting but also a bit of road bikes, and I always found them very comfortable. but I am a bit taller, so it might make a difference.
    good luck with your choice!
    sf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Juliet100

Hi Tritrier,

I'm the exact same height as you and I also bought a hybrid recently. I tried a few of the Trek and Giant models but actually found a La Pierre model to be the most comfortable (although the Giants were pretty good too!). I got this one and I love it:

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=39&idproduct=6496

Try a few bikes out and see how they feel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I am 5'Nothing and I have no problems using men's bikes, usually the smallest frame. 2 of my road bikes are mens sz 42 and 43 and 1 women specific sz 44. I don't really see much of a difference apart from the narrower handle bars on the women specific bike. Your best bet is to go and try them. You might be surprised.

Thanks for the replies! Does anybody know anywhere in Dublin that sells Trek bikes?? Would like to try a couple of those out. Will also try the other models as you suggested to see what fits and suits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Joe Daly's in Dundrum has Treks ... lots of them

Great thanks for that. Will pay him a visit so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

Might throw a spanner in the works here...

But if you are thinking of getting a Road Bike next spring, why not get one now? And by next season's tri's you'll very well used to your bike?

But then, I've no idea what I'm talking about so listen to everybody else!

Actually I don't know if I am going to continue in tri. It just depends on a few things that I'm not going to go in here. I reckon if I buy a hybrid bike I will have that anyway for in and out of work and if I decide to do tri again next year I will probably buy a road bike (and have 2 bikes!!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

Two bikes = more bikes that one bike. And more bikes = more fun.

Yeah!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 113 ✭✭stantheman8

hi folks.
    Came across this thread when looking for some guidance/advice for my gf who is looking to buy a hybrid at the moment.
    How did you get on Tritrier?
    Any recommendations or pitfalls to avoid??

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭harryd2

Also looking to buy for my gf on bike-to-work scheme.
    She's hoping to get a hybrid with disc brakes, as she reckons they much better than ordinary brakes.
    Disc brakes on hybrid seem to be quite uncommon.
    Anyone got any advice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Lumen wrote: »
    Cool - I've always wanted something with a wicker basket :)

Doesn't Mrs Lumen have one you could borrow?

harryd2 wrote: »
    Also looking to buy for my gf on bike-to-work scheme. She's hoping to get a hybrid with disc brakes, as she reckons they much better than ordinary brakes. Disc brakes on hybrid seem to be quite uncommon. Anyone got any advice?

Disc brakes are undeniably more powerful, and if you're trying to stop a 1500kg tonne car from 200kph they're pretty much essential, but for a 70kg loaded bicycle travelling at 30kph (0.1% of the kinetic energy) they're overkill.

Properly set up rim brakes with decent pads will put you over the handlebars. How much more braking do you need?

Doesn't Mrs Lumen have one you could borrow?

She does now - she didn't in Sept 2008 when this thread started!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Lumen wrote: »
    She does now - she didn't in Sept 2008 when this thread started!

Hehe, didn't notice that... you should make a list of the bikes and bits you had in Sept 2008, and the bits you have now and see what you've spent in just under 2 years :)

Advertisement