Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Fishy question

• 24-09-2008 4:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭

Hey, just a quick question about glow-in-the-dark fish - or bioluminescent fish to refer to them correctly. I'm just researching the Glofish controversy in the United States and am curious if there are any common naturally bioluminescent fish available from pet stores?

For anyone who doesn't know about glofish, they are a type of zebrafish genetically modified originally to detect levels of pollution in Singapore waters but then were acquired by a US company for commercial sale (hence the catchy typo. :rolleyes: )

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

This subject was discussed on another fish keeping forum : http://www.irishfishkeepers.com/cms/component/option,com_fireboard/Itemid,28/func,view/catid,5/id,12468/
    Hope this helps in your research.

ValerieR
    www.irishfishkeepers.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Fishyfreak

As far as I know the sale of "Glo-fish" is banned in Ireland unlike the sale of Dyed fish which should be too.

I believe they are banned under Eu Legislation Re: GM animals.

Also see our site "The Leinster Fishkeeping Society":

www.irishfishforum.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Thanks folks, it is a controversial subject I know. For the record I think "producing" animals for ornamental purposes is obscene - yet it doesn't really surprise me. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Jimkel

The company responsable for this fish is Taikong Corporation of Taiwan. They also developed the flowerhorn, and parrotfish. The fish is a GM zebra danio.

There are no naturally bioluminescent fish available in the pet trade in Ireland unless you manage to get a hold of some rare marine fish, There are a few more common invertabrates. I have seen "Disco fish" available in pet shops, aswell as dyed parrot fish, but no bioluminescent fish.

A very common issue that is far more severe is the importation of fish which are hormone fed, meaning that they achieve adult colouration while still young. This also causes all fish to turn male, and develop health problems. Anyone ever wondered why the fish was stunning in the shop and lost all it's colour after a week or 2 in your tank?? Very common in Cichlids imported from certain wholesalers I do not wish to name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Jimkel

Daddio wrote: »
    Thanks folks, it is a controversial subject I know. For the record I think "producing" animals for ornamental purposes is obscene - yet it doesn't really surprise me. :mad:

I agree however you must take into account that some breeds of dogs, all ferrets, all Koi and goldfish and several other popular pets are "man-made" having not existed in the wild in their current form. I do not disagree with selective breeding per se but I do disagree with playing god by genetically modifying animals.;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement