Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pleco Problem

Options
  • 24-09-2008 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭

Hi All
    We recently got a goldfish friend for our one remaining goldfish as well as 2 plecos (Plecostomus).
    Anyway, the next morning one of the plecos was dead.
    The person at the shop told me that the plecos and goldfish are fine to share a tank.....
    Anybody know any different?

Cheers
    HB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

Mmm .... Plecos are warm-water fish, aren't they ?
    I wouldn't put the two together.
    Anyway, the traditional question is : what are your water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) ? how long has the tank been up and running ? Do you have a filter on this tank ? How large is the tank ? How frequently do you do a partial water change ? how much water do you change ?
    Then, maybe we can help you finding what happened.
    HTH
    Valerie
    www.irishfishkeepers.com

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

There are no problems whatsoever putting a goldfish in with a few Plecos. While the Pleco is a warm water fish- its quite tolerant to colder water (within reason) but room temperature should be fine for both it and goldfish.

Its entirely possible that the goldfish may have had an infection of some sort that the Pleco just wasn't able to deal with- its unfortunate, often you do get problems not dissimilar when introducing new fish to a tank.

I'd suggest checking the water parameters, as per Valerie's post above, and also changing the carbon filter (activated carbon can both clean up the water and also strengthen the fish somewhat).

I've a Pleco in with 4 Koi, 2 goldfish, a Shibunkan and a few other assorted fish- all quite happy together.

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

prob down to the actual fish itself tbh. I had one pop its clogs a day or so after I got it, nowt wrong with the tank or the other fish. Its partner is still alive; so I reckon there was something wrong with the poor bugger. Found him the following morning....AFTER my parrots had got at him...not pleasant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Jimkel

Goldfish can live at 22 degrees, with a pleco quite happily. Pleco's require strong oxygen saturation so a good current and an airpump is advised. The extra o2 is also required by goldfish living at a higher temp.

Advertisement