Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motorbike query

• 24-09-2008 5:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi all,

recently gave my Yamaha dragstar xvs125 an oil change and cleaned the oil filter while I was doing it.

Since then the bike has been a small bit noisier, Ive read some info about the seal in the oil filter but dont know what to be looking for to see if its still there or if I lost it...

Anyone any idea what this seal looks like or if theres any other reasons for this noise???

thank yous

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

How did you clean the filter? (They are cheap and generally better replaced) They come with a rubber seal built in, Id have to look up the housing to see what other seal their is, but its usually on the edge of whatever cover you removed.

Edit: how much oil did you put in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The filter has a metal disc both ends and one end has a black rubber seal on it.
    This is the part that seals the filter to the engine to ensure that the oil passes through the filter rather than around it, sometimes the seal might stick to the engine and be left there when you change the filter(you should always replace the filter not clean it!)
    If the oil is flowing around the filter it could be making a rattling noise.
    I would replace the filter asap with a new one.
    A workshop manual would be a wise buy if you have not done much mechanical work before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 johnbosco

Many thanks for the good information received lads... I cleaned the filter with petrol as Bikeworld told me they would take 2 weeks to order one in for me... I think ill just wait for it to come in at this stage and let them fit the filter as Im afraid to drive it if it will cause engine damage... Their is a rattling sound present so id say it is the oil bypassing the filter...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 451 ✭✭thetyreman

Are you sure it wasnt the air filter they told you to clean with petrol ?
    and if you removed the oil filter and put back on the same one your seal should be still there,either it stayed on the engine or came of with the filter either way it is still there,you surely would have seen it on the floor if it came off.
    Did you refill with the correct oil ?

PS bikeworld are a disaster...imho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,453 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Never try to clean an oil filter, you'll make things worse (either block it, or loosen the crud which then enters your engine.) It's better to just change the oil for now.

When the oil filter is taken out, you need a good bit more oil to refill the bike afterwards, check the handbook. Overfilling is bad too though.

Oil bypassing the filter won't make a rattling noise. Sounds like not enough oil is reaching the top end of the engine, most likely the oil level is low. Unless you sort this out very quickly it will lead to very expensive damage.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
Advertisement