Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eflow - paying for toll

Options
  • 24-09-2008 5:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭

Has anyone had the "pleasure" of try to pay their toll fee through Eflow? 5 times I had to ring. I was given an incorrect phone number by one of the CS people to pay and was hung up on twice. It reminded me of dealing with UPC "customer service", actually I find UPC better :(

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Used the website. It seemed to work ok. Or at least I havent received any bills yet. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Also used the website, paid, THEN got a bill for non-payment.
    Had the same problem - tried to ring, was put on hold, got disconnected 3 times until at the 4th attempt, I got through. But it's not a freephone number, so you pay for the pleasure of ringing again an again (that's probably how they make even more money out of people)

They seem to have trouble matching payment records to number plate recognition...

Very aggravating...

Also, they send about 6 pages of 'documentation' each time - can't classify that as environmentally friendly...

Give me a toll booth any day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Been across twice, paid on the website both times. This was the first week in Sept, just after the barrier free started. Haven't heard a thing since, so I'm assuming it worked. Keep a printout of the receipt if you do use the web, just in case, I'm going to keep mine anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

I kept a screenshot of the error I got when I tried to pay online and got the reference number when I paid over the phone. I felt that they were quite unsure of what they were doing and don't trust that the payment will only go through once, sigh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I live in Ballymun, so anytime I go across and back I just pay at the Topaz garage as you come off the m50. Grand and handy.

• Advertisement

Just checked my credit card statement for Sept, and the payment I made on Aug 31st hasn't gone through yet. Definitely keeping the receipt now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Trying to get through to these twats all day, went to pay my three euro ,fine is now forty three euro, even though I'm well within the timeframe counldn't get through via the phone, kept getting cut off, have two different e-mail addresses and neither are working, delivery fail messages. Finally got through yesterday and she said someone would have to ring me back, still waiting on that phonecall.
    i understand teething problems, but they are basisally uncontactable, and the fine will increase until I get through to them.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

galah wrote: »
    But it's not a freephone number, so you pay for the pleasure of ringing again an again (that's probably how they make even more money out of people)

Let's not get in to that type of nonsense. They do not get the benefit of the cost of the phonecall, that goes to your phone service provider - it is not a premium line. Indeed they have to pay for the Lo-call service you are using - so the multiple calls are costing them money!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

Fair enough...Still annoying if it's costing me money cause they hang up on me, lo-call or no.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭homergriffin

My brother was paying it and also had trouble. May be it has something to do with the time of the day (my brother did it at 5ish). Was the price hike due to administration costs? If so, barrier free tolling was a stupid idea. Possibly add less than a cent to each litre of petrol could have sorted the problem out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

My brother was paying it and also had trouble. May be it has something to do with the time of the day (my brother did it at 5ish). Was the price hike due to administration costs? If so, barrier free tolling was a stupid idea. Possibly add less than a cent to each litre of petrol could have sorted the problem out.

err cause thats fair, why should people down the country not using the toll road have to pay for all those people that use it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 RTE

gogo wrote: »
    Trying to get through to these twats all day, went to pay my three euro ,fine is now forty three euro, even though I'm well within the timeframe counldn't get through via the phone, kept getting cut off, have two different e-mail addresses and neither are working, delivery fail messages. Finally got through yesterday and she said someone would have to ring me back, still waiting on that phonecall.
    i understand teething problems, but they are basisally uncontactable, and the fine will increase until I get through to them.:mad:

<snip>please use the PM function to contact this poster or see their poster's original thread</snip>

They do not get the benefit of the cost of the phonecall, that goes to your phone service provider - it is not a premium line. Indeed they have to pay for the Lo-call service you are using - so the multiple calls are costing them money!

It would be handy if they had some geographic number. Given that the majority of people using the bridge will be Dublin based, then an 01 number would be suitable. Also, a lot of people have bundled call packages that give free national number calls anyway, so a lot of people would be able to call for free. For those who don't, the lo-call number could be left in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

I paid the fare the next day well before 8pm and still got a bill. Granted the bill will be ignored since I have proof via my cc that I have paid it. Seems like they are doing things manually or something if the bills are still being sent out even after payment is made.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Hair Bear

Hi All, Just wondering is anyone annoyed over the price hike for this toll on the M50. It once cost €2 with 'human staff' to collect this toll. Now there is no staff at the toll and it costs more!

€3 if one has no tag;:eek:
    €2.50 if one's car reg is registered
    €2.20 if you spend €40 euro up front
    €2.00 if you have a tag and sign up your account for the 'toll robbers' to take the €2 and their admin fee each month.:mad:
    I thought automation reduced costs!

Also, it costs €25 million to earn €50 million for the government each year. Surely there are better & more efficient ways of raising taxes to fill the coffers!

Yep, gotta admit the price hike has me pretty pee'd off too :mad:

I don't see the point of it other than to scam us out of more money. Technically it should cost less than paying salary to "real people". I know there are installation costs and set up charges etc, but a 50% increase is a joke!!

I rarly use the toll bridge, but registered for the "video account" which gives it to me for 2.50 a trip. I had checked in my local shop and could have gotten a tag that I can top up, but the tag cost 30.00 :eek:

Once again we are being ripped off......................

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

How sure can they be though when challenged ? You drive across the bridge and then say you didnt, really what can they do? A guy on the motoring forum said he got a 'fine' in the post from them for using the M50 when he wasnt even in the country and his car was at home in his driveway in Limerick FFS ! The thing is a farce.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Anyone think that it is strange that you can pay for the toll without ever being through the toll. So i cant even check if you owe them money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

surely they provide a photo or some kind of proof that your car/van has been over the bridge when they write to you with the bill/fine?

if not that would mean that most people billed in error will be billed the toll plus the fines as they would not have paid in time as they had not used the bridge but these people are still billed without any proof offered that they are liable and as with many bills etc most people assume they owe the money and simply pop the cheque in the post or pay by credit card.

what is there to protect people from the toll charges being levied wrongly?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

nothing as of now.

Im sure like the whole getting caught speeding situation that it will take a few court cases throwing out these fines to make them tighten up the ship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

I have just discovered that having received non payment documents and at the very least a small amazonian forest worth of paper in each envelope.... that the people running eflow and the system itself are .... well.... basically..... Inept!

I also think that I received non payment forms because somewhere along the payment system there is a delay from when i enter my payment details to when eflow receive them. I have proof of payment for a particluar journey but the non payment forms were sent out 4 days later?

It's only a matter of time before someone with a paintball blackens them or even better someone with a 2.2 destroys them!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 RTE

sparrowcar wrote: »
    I have just discovered that having received non payment documents and at the very least a small amazonian forest worth of paper in each envelope.... that the people running eflow and the system itself are .... well.... basically..... Inept!

I also think that I received non payment forms because somewhere along the payment system there is a delay from when i enter my payment details to when eflow receive them. I have proof of payment for a particluar journey but the non payment forms were sent out 4 days later?

It's only a matter of time before someone with a paintball blackens them or even better someone with a 2.2 destroys them!;)

Hello Sparrowcar,

Thank you for contacting us at consumer.response@rte.ie.

Would it be possible to contact you directly? You can forward your contact details (personal email and/or phone number) via consumer.response@rte.ie in confidence.

Many thanks and I look forward to your reply.

Kind regards,
    Claudia
    Researcher
    RTE, Current Affairs

I just checked my account and the charge that I finally got to pay for after the numerous phone calls went through 3 times :mad: Here I was worried that it wouldn't go through at all and keeping the reference number etc.

I will try one phone call tomorrow but I might be better off just doing chargebacks right away

I am NOT a happy bunny :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

IsThatSo? wrote: »
    I will try one phone call tomorrow but I might be better off just doing chargebacks right away
    Just chargeback since it will cost them money everytime you do it. You have your proof that you paid everything so you have nothing to worry about.

axer wrote: »
    Just chargeback since it will cost them money everytime you do it. You have your proof that you paid everything so you have nothing to worry about.

I agree. Either the 3 transactions will have the same reference number,which will prove they are multiple of the same transaction, OR they have different reference numbers and I have the reference number of the one I agreed to and there won't be records showing I went through the toll 12 times!! Either way I can't go wrong so its probably the least frustrating path to take :p

Muppets!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

I used the westlink toll bridge once so far, hadn't registered my reg number nor any tag.
    But later that day I paid the three Euro in a garage and had kept the receipt which clearly had my reg number on it.

I still got a bill a week later :rolleyes:
    I just sent them an e-mail with the notice number and receipt number.
    Hope that shuts them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

Cabaal wrote: »
    err cause thats fair, why should people down the country not using the toll road have to pay for all those people that use it?

So do you also agree that people in cities should not have to pay with our taxes for roads to be maintained for people who choose to live in remote areas? The toll should be scrapped, this road has been paid for many times over. It is a complete scandal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Do they charge for phone calls? If so I'd be corresponding with them by email.

It wouldn't be the first Irish company to release a beta system to the public on the basis that it works out cheaper to have the Irish public do the testing.

Yeah 1890 number.
    If you have a contract with any of the mobile or landline providers that provides you with bundles of minutes each month, you can now call this number instead of the 1890 number. These calls will then come from your minutes bundle rather than you being charged upwards of 35c per minute

http://www.saynoto1890.com/geographical-alternative-for-eflow/

At least then you might not get charged for testing their system for them.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Anyone know if you can prepay? Im off to the airport and it would be handy if I could pay the toll before I leave. Otherwise I have to find a paypoint as well as checking in and all that, and Id rather not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

Oryx wrote: »
    Anyone know if you can prepay? Im off to the airport and it would be handy if I could pay the toll before I leave. Otherwise I have to find a paypoint as well as checking in and all that, and Id rather not.

They have internet kiosks at the departure gates, you could pay there.

Advertisement