Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eflow - paying for toll

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Well it is most likely an honest mistake, rather than a cynical attempt to defraud you of 36 bucks and then posting your details on to russian gangsters.
    I understand it can be all kinds of annoying but you have to go through the customer service channels to get this resolved.
    Why even waste your time on that. Write a nice letter to your credit card company and play the Manuel from Fawlty Towers card and tell them you "know nothing" of this transaction and you are very concerned that someone might have used your card fraudulently. Tell them you want the funds back on your credit card post haste and will not be paying any sort of interest on said amount.

Let eflow come after you and then you can give tell them exactly what you think of them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Sizzler wrote: »
    Why even waste your time on that. Write a nice letter to your credit card company and play the Manuel from Fawlty Towers card and tell them you "know nothing" of this transaction and you are very concerned that someone might have used your card fraudulently. Tell them you want the funds back on your credit card post haste and will not be paying any sort of interest on said amount.

Which would amount to credit card fraud in itself, and would be a damn site more serious than a few mistaken €6 charges. There are proper, and legal, methods of correcting this that don't involve fraudulently claiming your card was used without your knowledge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Ger the man

I dont use the M50 anymore, you get throught the toll quicker alright but I still see the same congestion further on at the Ballymount and Firhouse exits. I go through town and get to work at the same time.

jor el wrote: »
    Which would amount to credit card fraud in itself, and would be a damn site more serious than a few mistaken €6 charges. There are proper, and legal, methods of correcting this that don't involve fraudulently claiming your card was used without your knowledge.

The "mistaken" charges are as fraudulent as my above statement.

Why should the OP bother his hole dealing with this when all he wanted to do was pay off a SINGLE journey.

He has every right to charge it back as he did not agree to the charges.

If you went out and bought something with your VISA and a merchant charged you 3 / 4 times for the same thing days later, you would roll over and say "ah sure I'll just give them a call to sort it out". Get real.

Its not the monteary value here, its the principal as a consumer.

He has every right to charge it back as he did not agree to the charges.

Yes he does, but telling them that he doesn't know what the charges are on his card, or who put them there, is not the way to do it. If he follows your advice, he'll be in a lot of trouble.
    If you went out and bought something with your VISA and a merchant charged you 3 / 4 times for the same thing days later, you would roll over and say "ah sure I'll just give them a call to sort it out". Get real.

That's exactly what you should do. Contact the retailer, show the receipt, and first ask them to refund the over-charge. If that doesn't work, then there are proper channels to use, i.e. contacting the credit card supplier and asking them to reverse the charge. There's no need to lie about what happened when you're not in the wrong. That's just being an idiot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Jack Bauer999

What do you mean by?
    "I have made every effort to have this corrected though the E Flow customer service by phone and E mail without avail"
    Have you spoken to eflow and they refused to refund the money or something?

The same thing has happended to me, the reason was, when i paid on thier website for 56 euro, the page crashed as as i tried to submit the payment.
    So i did it a second time thinking the first payment did not go thorugh,
    But it obviously it did and they charged my CC twice.
    Rang them up a week ago, explained the suitation and filled out a refund
    form over the phone. Rang them back yesterday for an update and was told it takes up to 7 days for them to send it to another office to authorize the
    refund and they do a charge back to the CC.

If i dont hear back by next week only then i will ring the CC company and
    ask for a charge back to be done.
    Have you given elfow a chance to correct the mistake?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I have been charged by EFlow already despite having a DirectRoute tag on the car (in the correct place, you twat Noel Dempsey). When I received half the amazon rainforest in an envelope,I rang them and they said it was probably incorrectly mounted. I asked her how that worked considering I had been through the M50 before and it worked fine. She then said they had a problem with other operators tags.........Obviouslky she missed the bit wheere I told her it had worked before.

Went up and down to Dublin in the day on Tuesday, no beep either direction, so I guess I had better advise the postman to beef up in readiness.

Yes he does, but telling them that he doesn't know what the charges are on his card, or who put them there, is not the way to do it. If he follows your advice, he'll be in a lot of trouble.
    Highly unlikely, not sure what your experience is in this field but its at opposite ends to mine. I recently was charged by a hotel twice once on one card (the one I booked the hotel online with and prepaid for it with) and again with the card they swiped for guarantee of "incidentals". They then charged the full rate again on the 2nd card. I wrote to my bank and told them it was bollix and unauthorised which it was, they refunded it within 3 days of me sending the letter. Proper order.

That's exactly what you should do. Contact the retailer, show the receipt, and first ask them to refund the over-charge. If that doesn't work, then there are proper channels to use, i.e. contacting the credit card supplier and asking them to reverse the charge. There's no need to lie about what happened when you're not in the wrong. That's just being an idiot.
    You sir are incredibly patient :) May the day come when a retailer shafts you for a few hundred quid and see how long you hold out.

Highly unlikely, not sure what your experience is in this field but its at opposite ends to mine. I recently was charged by a hotel twice once on one card (the one I booked the hotel online with and prepaid for it with) and again with the card they swiped for guarantee of "incidentals". They then charged the full rate again on the 2nd card. I wrote to my bank and told them it was bollix and unauthorised which it was, they refunded it within 3 days of me sending the letter. Proper order.

You're back peddling now. This is exactly the way to go about it, you tell them about the unauthorised transactions, and they reverse them. You should be able to get this from the company that placed the charges, but you can always go straight to the bank or card supplier.

In your first post, and the one I said was wrong, you told the OP to play dumb and say he knew nothing of any of these charges, and then tell Eflow to go whistle when they come looking for the proper charge. This is completely different to what you did with the hotel, so why tell the OP to commit fraud?

Let eflow come after you and then you can give tell them exactly what you think of them :)

If he tells them that he has no idea what these charges are about, he's committing fraud, plain and simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 988 ✭✭✭IsThatSo?

I still have not had a response to my email regarding them charging my CC 3 times. Its almost 2 weeks, which is plenty of time, imo. :mad:

Sigh.................

• Advertisement

You're back peddling now. This is exactly the way to go about it, you tell them about the unauthorised transactions, and they reverse them. You should be able to get this from the company that placed the charges, but you can always go straight to the bank or card supplier.

In your first post, and the one I said was wrong, you told the OP to play dumb and say he knew nothing of any of these charges, and then tell Eflow to go whistle when they come looking for the proper charge. This is completely different to what you did with the hotel, so why tell the OP to commit fraud?

If he tells them that he has no idea what these charges are about, he's committing fraud, plain and simple.

You're missing the point. I knew exactly what the charges were and they were unauthorised, same as OP, he got shafted for more than he agreed to, same difference.

You should go to a few Credit Card conferences mate, you might learn a little bit more about this :)

Im not trying to give the guy bad advice tbh I'm just saying thats what I would do. If you have read any of the posts about eflow on the multiple forums you will realise they probably won't even be able to spell your name right, let alone resolve this complex issue for the OP.

You're missing the point. I knew exactly what the charges were and they were unauthorised, same as OP, he got shafted for more than he agreed to, same difference.

You should go to a few Credit Card conferences mate, you might learn a little bit more about this :)

Im not trying to give the guy bad advice tbh I'm just saying thats what I would do. If you have read any of the posts about eflow on the multiple forums you will realise they probably won't even be able to spell your name right, let alone resolve this complex issue for the OP.

You're the one who's missing the point. If you had followed your own advice, you'd have queried the hotel charge on both of your cards, as you're telling the OP to reverse all payments, and claim that someone is using his card fraudulantly. Do you even see that, or have you got your blinkers on?

The OP knows exactly what the charges are too. He knows what he should have paid, and he knows whats been charged. If eflow don't reverse the wrong ones, which they don't seem to be doing, he should go to the bank and get them to reverse it. There's no need to lie, like you're advising. That is bad advice.

I have seen many of the posts on eflow, and I'm well aware of the problems. The fact that they can't get a simple billing system working properly is not an excuse, or a reason, to lie to the bank about the charges.

Perhaps you should pay a bit more attention at those conferences yourself. I'm sure none of them have ever advocated fraud as a method of reversing an over charge.

Perhaps you should pay a bit more attention at those conferences yourself. I'm sure none of them have ever advocated fraud as a method of reversing an over charge.

Come back to me when you have been to one and then we'll talk :)

Come back to me when you have been to one and then we'll talk :)

I give up.

I give up.

I gave up on post # 4.

Thats the thing about the net, you won't always get your point across, you don't know me and I don't know you. We might actually have some middle ground on this but I genuinely hope the OP does whats best for him and gets his cash back ASAP whatever way that may be.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Thats the thing about the net, you won't always get your point across, .

A blind donkey would know what his point was. It was quite clear. You said "play dumb and deny everything" then tried to qualify it with a point about telling the bank that the 2nd unauthorised charge was wrong, which it was, but your first and second statements were not the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Thread merged with the big E-Flow thread.

I want to keep this topic in one place.

dudara

Stekelly wrote: »
    A blind donkey would know what his point was. It was quite clear. You said "play dumb and deny everything" then tried to qualify it with a point about telling the bank that the 2nd unauthorised charge was wrong, which it was, but your first and second statements were not the same.

FFS. Selective quoting, fear grinn.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

I used the toll bridge first time with the tag on my windscreen last Wednesday. The thing never beeped to say it registered so when I went online to check my account and it said I owed €4. I'm wondering do they charge your laser card automatically or is it up to you to make the payment once you get home. I have to use it again next Wednesday so if anyone can tell me exactly what the story is I'd appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭flutegirl

Was on the M50 for the first time yesterday. Paid at 'nearest' shop to me which is about 10 miles from home. Am thinking it might be an idea to hang onto the reciept for dear life having read some of the posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

kensutz wrote: »
    I used the toll bridge first time with the tag on my windscreen last Wednesday. The thing never beeped to say it registered so when I went online to check my account and it said I owed €4. I'm wondering do they charge your laser card automatically or is it up to you to make the payment once you get home. I have to use it again next Wednesday so if anyone can tell me exactly what the story is I'd appreciate it.

Do you have the tag mounted correctly for it to be read? Their is post-pay and Pre-pay [Link]

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

Afaik it's mounted correctly. I chose the post paid option and thought they take the money from your card as soon as you pass under the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

kensutz wrote: »
    Afaik it's mounted correctly. I chose the post paid option and thought they take the money from your card as soon as you pass under the bridge.

I presume the tag is activated? If your car has moisture dots the tag should be mounted onto them behind the rear view mirror. I think its meant to take money within a few hours.

Advertisement