Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fastcom user want's Wireless option

• 24-09-2008 5:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Mate has Fastcom BB in his house which consists of a grey looking block with an Ethernet Cable going from it into his PC.

What are his options if he wants to pop in a wireless router into the equation?
    Does it just connect to said device?
    Any recommendations on what device to go with?

Many Thanks,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Any wireless router should do the trick. Make sure it's not a DSL modem/router though, it must be what's sometimes referred to as a broadband router, or just wireless router. Instructions with the router will usually tell you how to set it up, and it should be quite easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

Any of Fastcoms systems I have seen run on 2.4Ghz. Introducing a wireless router which also operates on 2.4Ghz will increase the floor noise levels thus effecting the connection quality and performance. You may have to try different channels on the router until the connection becomes somewhat right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Often referred to as Cable Routers. Though they have no cable specific hardware at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 taheen

Any of Fastcoms systems I have seen run on 2.4Ghz. Introducing a wireless router which also operates on 2.4Ghz will increase the floor noise levels thus effecting the connection quality and performance. You may have to try different channels on the router until the connection becomes somewhat right.
    Fastcom equipment runs on 3,6 and 5,4 Ghz and there is no interference with any wireless routers. Any Ethernet Wireless Router will do. Set up WAN connection type to Dynamic (DHCP).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭ncc98071

Hi My friend also wants to set up his fastcom broadband wireless. I have a spare netopia eircom broadband router, would i be able to use this and if so how would i need to configure it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭BNC

@ ncc98071
    jor el wrote: »
    Make sure it's not a DSL modem/router though, it must be what's sometimes referred to as a broadband router, or just wireless router.

The Eircom router is a DSL modem/router.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

ncc98071 wrote: »
    Hi My friend also wants to set up his fastcom broadband wireless. I have a spare netopia eircom broadband router, would i be able to use this and if so how would i need to configure it
    I'm pretty sure I've heard of a way to turn one of the lan ports on the netopias into a wan port. No idea where though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

You could probably use it as a switched access point by disabling DHCP and using Fastcom router for DHCP. This way You'd not be using the DSL port. Login by putting 192.168.1.254 in Your browser, click expert mode-->configure-->advanced-->dhcp server and untick the DHCP Server Enable button and save.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I'm pretty sure I've heard of a way to turn one of the lan ports on the netopias into a wan port. No idea where though.

Yes thats in expert mode-->configure-->Lan/Wan turnaround, not tried this, above would be safer

• Registered Users Posts: 3 geraintj

Hi,

I realise this is an old thread, but I found it when I had Fastcom installed the other day and wanted to use my old Eircom wireless router, rather than shelling out the €60 for the one fastcom offer. I found this article online that explains the steps to take.

http://danielflannery.ie/how-to-extend-your-wifi-range-using-a-netopia-2247nwg3347wg/

Rather than extending a wireless network with powerline Ethernet adapters, just plug the cable from the fastcom connection into the eircom netgear hub and follow the instructions. Had my wireless up and running 10 minutes after the fastcom guy had left.

• Advertisement
Advertisement