Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

buyyourcarnow.ie

Options
  • 24-09-2008 6:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

The SIMI are running ads for this site on the radio right now

Well done lads

That'll make all the difference.

Mike

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

See [locked] thread here

Ad is not gonna make me want to buy anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

At least the estate agents who are dealing with a similar type of sales crisis in the property market are at least recognising the fact that things have changed, when you look at a property now it usually has "reduced to sell" or something to that effect. Not so with the boyo's in the motor industry, it's just more of the same auld codding that's been going on for years...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ah didn't see that one. Maybe this could be more civilised, I see a dealer is engaged in misleading advertising, using the installment cost of buying.

http://www.buyyourcarnow.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1061554

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

The SIMI are like Sinn Féin: a crowd great at identifying solutions while at the same time pretending that they're the best thing since God almighty himself. Trouble is they're the problem in the first place.

I actually think that either they are genuinely as thick as a ditch, or they think we're as thick as a ditch and expect us to buy this crap.

In the meantime, I hope people keep ignoring them.

We've let them away with far too much in the good times.

As I always say, I feel sorry for the good guys, because the good guys in thia are as rare as you see a V8 powered car in this country, and the bad people are as common as the sight of a 4 cylinder car.

• Advertisement

E92 wrote: »
    The SIMI are like Sinn Féin: a crowd great at identifying solutions while at the same time pretending that they're the best thing since God almighty himself. Trouble is they're the problem in the first place.

I actually think that either they are genuinely as thick as a ditch, or they think we're as thick as a ditch and expect us to buy this crap.

In the meantime, I hope people keep ignoring them.

We've let them away with far too much in the good times.

As I always say, I feel sorry for the good guys, because the good guys in thia are as rare as you see a V8 powered car in this country, and the bad people are as common as the sight of a 4 cylinder car.

I wouldn't insult Sinn Fein by lobbing them into the same category as the SIMI! The SIMI = A Main Dealer Organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

mike65 wrote: »
    Ah didn't see that one. Maybe this could be more civilised, I see a dealer is engaged in misleading advertising, using the installment cost of buying.

http://www.buyyourcarnow.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1061554

Mike

I heard they have some 'financial' issues.

A side note:

SIMI are always going on about imports from UK and to source here. Guess where the www.buyyourcarnow.ie site is hosted?
    They should practise what they preach.

Hostname www.buyyourcarnow.ie ISP TraderMedia Ltd
    Country United Kingdom Country Code GB (GBR)
    City Hanwell Region Windsor and Maidenhead
    IP Address 193.243.130.213 Postal Code Unknown
    Flag GB Latitude 51.5
    Local time* 24 Sep 2008 19:00
    Longitude -0.3167

http://geotool.servehttp.com/?ip=193.243.130.213&host=www.buyyourcarnow.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭cbyrne

isn't trader media group the same company that owns autotrader and car zone?

cbyrne wrote: »
    isn't trader media group the same company that owns autotrader and car zone?

Looks like your right.

Hostname carzone.ie ISP TraderMedia Ltd
    Country United Kingdom Country Code GB (GBR)
    City Hanwell Region Windsor and Maidenhead
    IP Address 193.243.130.214 Postal Code Unknown
    Flag GB Latitude 51.5
    Local time*
    24 Sep 2008 20:37
    Longitude -0.3167

hardly a surprise buyyourcarnow.ie is just carzone with a couple of different front pages to the searching and only showing Simi results.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Shardlakes hump

Mylow wrote: »
    I heard they have some 'financial' issues.

A side note:

SIMI are always going on about imports from UK and to source here. Guess where the www.buyyourcarnow.ie site is hosted?
    They should practise what they preach.

OH MY GOD, that is unbelieveable, the sheer neck of these guys- who do they think they are!! Next thing you know they'll be using paper in their printers from England and watching UK television and maybe even buying a newspaper that was printed in England - when will it end!!!!

Grow up and stick to the topic - whether they use a site hosted in the UK has absolutely no relevance to the car market - keep it real.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

I think what Mylow was trying to highlight was the principal of it being the website being hosted in the UK when SIMI launched a massive press release "warning" the irish public about importing ex Uk cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I think what Mylow was trying to highlight was the principal of it being the website being hosted in the UK when SIMI launched a massive press release "warning" the irish public about importing ex Uk cars.
    websites can be hosted anywhere, it doesn't effect the Irish economy at all! Most Irish companies use hosts outside Ireland.

As per Steve0, whether they host here or in India is not relevant to the car market and is a totally separate argument to this thread.
    So lets get back to the point - some contributors have a big beef with these guys in SIMI - some rational - some not - some with an agenda and some with a valid viewpoint.
    My view for the record is that I do not have any personal gripe against them - their ads are telling me there's great value in cars - that may be the case it may not be the case.However I am surprised at the vitriol being launched over something that will not affect anyones lives in a negative way. I am not looking for a car - but if I was I might take a look and see if there is any truth to what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Darragh29 wrote: »
    At least the estate agents who are dealing with a similar type of sales crisis in the property market are at least recognising the fact that things have changed, when you look at a property now it usually has "reduced to sell" or something to that effect. Not so with the boyo's in the motor industry, it's just more of the same auld codding that's been going on for years...

Yes, but the only stock estate agents have are pens, paper and fake leather docuwallets....these rarely amount to millions of euro. Completely incomparable.

As per Steve0, whether they host here or in India is not relevant to the car market and is a totally separate argument to this thread.
    So lets get back to the point - some contributors have a big beef with these guys in SIMI - some rational - some not - some with an agenda and some with a valid viewpoint.
    My view for the record is that I do not have any personal gripe against them - their ads are telling me there's great value in cars - that may be the case it may not be the case.However I am surprised at the vitriol being launched over something that will not affect anyones lives in a negative way. I am not looking for a car - but if I was I might take a look and see if there is any truth to what they say.

Here's now I see it... Our economy is literally flying upsidedown at the moment. What we need are creative and innovative solutions to get people passing cash around again. There is nothing innovative or creative about this ad, it is more likely to stop someone buying a car than to encourage someone to do so. It reinforces the view yet again that the people who are selling you a car are aloof and away in some back room somewhere having a laugh at you. It's more of the same old codding that you are getting from a small cohort of individuals who have simply made too much money in recent years and are so removed from reality that they simply have forgotten how to sell, because until recently, houses and cars sold themselves!

Here's what would make me buy a car!

(A) A deal where the SIMI sit down with the travel industry or the tourism industry and knock together some sort of a promotion so if I buy a car worth 20K, I get a free holiday thrown in! I see one week breaks all over the internet for 200 Euro, can they not afford a promo like that to incentivise people to buy a car???

There has been ZERO creative thinking and innovative ideas from SIMI dealers for as long as I've seen them in action.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

it is more likely to stop me buying a car than to encourage me to do so.
    It reinforces my view yet again that the people who are selling me a car are aloof and away in some back room somewhere having a laugh at me.
    I think it's more of the same old codding that you are getting from a small cohort of individuals who have simply made too much money in recent years and are so removed from reality that they simply have forgotten how to sell, because until recently, houses and cars sold themselves!
    Here's what would make me buy a car!

(A) A deal where the SIMI sit down with the travel industry or the tourism industry and knock together some sort of a promotion so if I buy a car worth 20K, I get a free holiday thrown in! I see one week breaks all over the internet for 200 Euro, can they not afford a promo like that to incentivise people to buy a car???

That is actually a good idea. I like it, but I don't think it would make me buy a car, because then I'd have to fork out money on the rest of the weekend besides the accommodation.
    I think there has been ZERO creative thinking and innovative ideas from SIMI dealers for as long as I've seen them in action.

Do you see what I'm getting at with the underlined bolded amendments. There are over 4 million people living in the country and about 20 is regular posters on this forum. More than 100,000 people buy NEW cars every year. It's not all about you...it's about what shifts cars...and that ad, while it may not be to your taste is a representation of what SIMI thinks will sell cars, and I'm yet to see them proven wrong on that.

ninty9er wrote: »

Do you see what I'm getting at with the underlined bolded amendments. There are over 4 million people living in the country and about 20 is regular posters on this forum. More than 100,000 people buy NEW cars every year. It's not all about you...it's about what shifts cars...and that ad, while it may not be to your taste is a representation of what SIMI thinks will sell cars, and I'm yet to see them proven wrong on that.

Well I don't see how they could be judged to be successful and unsucessful in the past because they haven't done anything like this before, so where you are finding confidence on this organisation, I'm not too sure.

I'm sure that MOST people, regardless of what motivates ME to part with my cash, look for added value when making a purchasing decision, especially in the current climate. I don't see anything whatsoever in that ad that shows me added value, no special offer, no discount, no nothing, just a mantra that "there has never been a better time to buy a car!" If prices have fallen, then there is clearly a benefit in stating this, that there is a price benefit in buying a car now, "here's how much you can save by buying now".

This gimmick about "we are receiving reports from all over the country about SIMI garages with a huge range of stock", and the pretence that this somehow is "breaking news", is just pathethic.

ninty9er wrote: »
    It's not all about you...it's about what shifts cars...and that ad, while it may not be to your taste is a representation of what SIMI thinks will sell cars, and I'm yet to see them proven wrong on that.

SIMI members clearly think that trying to sell on overpriced cars on second hand market would work. Like they have been doing for the last 6 months. It failed.

Now they are trying this ad? and lying about the great deals?

What SIMI thinks will sell cars has been wrong for the last 6 months and this will be proven wrong within a month again.

copacetic wrote: »
    SIMI members clearly think that trying to sell on overpriced cars on second hand market would work. Like they have been doing for the last 6 months. It failed.

Now they are trying this ad? and lying about the great deals?

What SIMI thinks will sell cars has been wrong for the last 6 months and this will be proven wrong within a month again.

This is the thing about SIMI car dealers, they are only ever interested in the quick buck. The next opportunity to ride someone. That's as far as their vision will carry them...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

This is the thing about SIMI car dealers, they are only ever interested in the quick buck.

You mean you only discovered that now?

The SIMI are the biggest bunch of morons barring certain political parties I have ever had the misfortune to come across.

You didn't get the point. I don't care where they host their website, but I don't want to listen to them lecturing the public on UK Car Imports.

E92 wrote: »
    You mean you only discovered that now?

The SIMI are the biggest bunch of morons barring certain political parties I have ever had the misfortune to come across.

I learnt that long ago, what I can't get my head around is that you have some of their apologists coming on here and saying they are grand and defending what could only be described as the most rediculous TV advertisement I have ever seen. Take your example E92, political parties are useless but they still manage to turn out a half respectable TV ad at election time!

The most basic things that I'd expect to see in a TV ad are missing, like added value, some sort of a promotion, some sense that if I buy now, I'm getting something "extra" no matter how small it is, it could just be "cocktail sausages" when I go down to the showroom.

Here's an example... When I opened my garage, I wanted as much servicing work as I could get through my workshop, but I found that customers tended to be loyal to their current mechanic or garage, because once you find a good reliable mechanic, you tend to not want to take a chance on some new unproven business.

I got a large run of leaflets done up and advertised where I could, that we would give every service customer a small wine gift with each service. All we did was throw in a two 1/4 bottles of wine (one red & one white), in a nice presentation box with a little "Have a drink on us, we genuinely appreciate your custom), with every service...

After this got out, we were out the door with business, we actually couldn't cope with the amount of business we got. Apart from a few of the PC brigade who complained that we were making a relationship between alcohol and motoring and that we were condoning drinking and driving, this was an outstanding success. The funny part was that this token gesture on my part cost the business 3 Euro per service. So we pay 3 Euro and we generate 200 Euro in sales. I remember the phone calls coming in with people booking a service as all they really wanted to know was were we still doing the wine promotion!?!?!

I'm not saying this approach would work with car sales, but what it was, was simply a little bit of lateral thinking and getting away from the "there's never been a better time to have your car serviced", bull****. People are smart and savvy now, they can see through the old school Persil automatic bullsh*t to be honest...

I got a large run of leaflets done up and advertised where I could, that we would give every service customer a small wine gift with each service. All we did was throw in a two 1/4 bottles of wine (one red & one white), in a nice presentation box with a little "Have a drink on us, we genuinely appreciate your custom), with every service

Reminds me of the Bowling for Columbine movie where banks gave you a free rifle when you opened an account.

Dude stay away from the marketing you are out of your depth.

As I understand it SIMI is a representative group for the motor industry and as such has a huge amount of car dealers who are all independent of thought (in more ways than one) so how can you get such 'independent' minded people to agree to do a promotion as with everything the good ones will do it and the poor ones won't which would make any 'giveaway' / discount undeliverable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

After this got out, we were out the door with business, we actually couldn't cope with the amount of business we got.

Sounds like Darragh29 should be in marketing to me.

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 68,943 ✭✭✭✭L1011

steve06 wrote: »
    websites can be hosted anywhere, it doesn't effect the Irish economy at all! Most Irish companies use hosts outside Ireland.

Most *reputable* firms use hosts in Ireland for speed reasons; and we have a number of Irish hosting firms who do contribute to the economy - VAT on consumer sales, tax on their profits, rates, etc, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

MYOB wrote: »
    Most *reputable* firms use hosts in Ireland for speed reasons; and we have a number of Irish hosting firms who do contribute to the economy - VAT on consumer sales, tax on their profits, rates, etc, etc.

Or they don't know better, give me a break .. it doesn't matter where its hosted in europe for 'speed reasons'
    If hosted in the US it might suffer from some latency issues but its quite common to host outside of Ireland.

I got a large run of leaflets done up and advertised where I could, that we would give every service customer a small wine gift with each service. All we did was throw in a two 1/4 bottles of wine (one red & one white), in a nice presentation box with a little "Have a drink on us, we genuinely appreciate your custom), with every service

Reminds me of the Bowling for Columbine movie where banks gave you a free rifle when you opened an account.

As I understand it SIMI is a representative group for the motor industry and as such has a huge amount of car dealers who are all independent of thought (in more ways than one) so how can you get such 'independent' minded people to agree to do a promotion as with everything the good ones will do it and the poor ones won't which would make any 'giveaway' / discount undeliverable.

Dude come back when you've learnt how to use the "quotes" button!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

worst thing about the site is their prices are EVEN worse then carzone

And the Darwin award goes to... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

I'd suggest that seeing as the man did a promotion that turned a new business struggling for bookings into one that cannot cope with the amount of booking coming in that in fact he is very far from out of his depth.

You liking the promotion or not is irrelevant. His till was full of money at the end of the week with a marketing outlay of €3 per person. And if you actually did understand the most basic concept of marketing: which is to attract and retain the customer, you would then see that Darraghs promotion was a complete success.

Finally, a spend of 1.5% on advertising that gets long term results is superb.

Advertisement